Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:19 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,375,132 times

Advertisements

Some people say nothing ever changes in the first half of TSO's live show. I would disagree with that. Musically things stay true, although many of the songs have been shortened this year so more of Night Castle could be played the second half.

Talking with Roddy Chong (electric violin) he mentioned some vids from Seattle. I'm wondering if this was one of those to which he was referring?

I'm posting this as musically Christmas Eve Sarajevo 12/24 is the same. However, the show behind the musicians is TOTALLY different.

Not only do they use the "stage" to act like a windmill of sorts, but also they have updated the pictures from the original DVD picks of the Cold War and world leaders of the 80s and 90s to the World Leaders of the 90s and 2000+.

It is still as moving as ever. The music wasn't as clear, but the photos are clearer in the Charleston, WV show. However, none can capture the speed at which the world leaders are shown. This is truly an amazing, moment in the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0w6D5TU3CM

Enjoy

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 PM

Lightbulb If You Don't Understand The Message of This Song, You Probably Won't Understand the First Half of the Show.....

I'm wondering how it is possible how critics who have access to the Internet are so far off on their reviews this year. That goes for both tours, east and west. I've read a new level of bad when I read the one for Worcester, MA!

Why send someone who covers classical music to a TSO show?

Two said they didn't understand the first half. I'd suggest they did read any of the information available on the website or brief summaries scattered throughout the web.

The Lord sends a young angel to earth to report to him what people are doing on Christmas Eve/Christmas to honor Him and each other. This song nails the message:

Andrew Ross of TSO west singing, "An Angel Came Down."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vzsdwf_nv8

MSR

Old 11-29-2009, 10:39 PM

Thumbs up KBER 101: Salt Lake City: "An Angel Came Down" and "Ornament" UNPLUGGED

All rights and claims belong to KBER 101 and TSO.

These are great.

Andrew Ross singing "An Angel Came Down" with Al on Accoustic Guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqulTj0ue8U

Listen to what Tommy says about what Ornament personally means to him.

Tommy with Al on Accoustic Guitar and "Ornament."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Jw_fJbhkw

ENJOY

MSR

Old 11-30-2009, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,484 times
Attended the FWA 2009 TSO show. Though this was my 6th TSO concert in the Fort, it was my 1st w/ their WEST group. Though it was a good show, I was not as impressed as I've been w/ the EAST group's performanes these past few yrs and will attempt to find out which one is performing next yr b4 I purch my tckts.. if it means traveling to Indy or Dayton or somewhere in MI to see the EAST group, then that is what I'll have to do.. I'd like to think it was just me, but after checking w/ 8 of my friends who also have been to numerous FWA TSO shows in the past, they were in agreement.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:19 AM

Lightbulb "Promises to Keep" - TSO east - Dayton, OH 11/08/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWA-TSO-fan View Post
Attended the FWA 2009 TSO show. Though this was my 6th TSO concert in the Fort, it was my 1st w/ their WEST group. Though it was a good show, I was not as impressed as I've been w/ the EAST group's performanes these past few yrs and will attempt to find out which one is performing next yr b4 I purch my tckts.. if it means traveling to Indy or Dayton or somewhere in MI to see the EAST group, then that is what I'll have to do.. I'd like to think it was just me, but after checking w/ 8 of my friends who also have been to numerous FWA TSO shows in the past, they were in agreement.
FWA - TSO fan,

You are in one of the rare states to have the luxury of potentially seeing either show.

Can you say what it is that you have liked better in the past? Some of those who use to tour aren't this year on either coast. Plus, the program changes are the same.

From what I know, there are differences between the shows. There is no way to put on identically the same show, given that each tour has to go with the strengths of their personnel. TSO west replaced at least 3 voices this year and I doubt they are as strong as the east. Jen Cella is not touring any more. I don't know if Mark Wood will be back and two members of TSO east (from the past 3-4 years ago) are now members of TSO west. It would be good to know what you liked that the east show does.

Also, I plead my ignorance to your arena in Fort Wayne. Is it one the is "musically challenging" for loud bands? Where I am TSO west has gone between two arenas the last four years, due to both scheduling, personal preferance on their part, and demand. The first time I heard them in the NBA-sized arena, it was not quite as crisp as the smaller hockey arena, plus there were some other musical challenges for the engineers. I asked at least 2-3 key members about that fact- two years ago at the M and G, as some bands have trouble in that arena with the sound. They acknowledged it was harder to perform in the NBA-size arena the first time compared to the one they were use to that was smaller.

This year, they conquered the sound issues so the NBA-sized arena sounded as clear as the one half of its size. To me, experience playing an arena is a factor as well. If TSO east usually plays Fort Waye, there maybe things they do differently to accomodate the venue.

TSO west is very disciplined. Additionally, 5-6 of the musicians play together year round, between TSO and O'2L. It will be interesting to read what you like from the east, all factors considered.

Every band has times when they are just off. About three years ago - the first year Vancouver was added- half of the singers were sick. Actually, Paul O'Neill had to add some voices mid-tour. So it would be nice to know if what you like best in the east: the voices, the choreography (which should be the same); the strength of the guitar playing; the keyboards; the drum solo, which only occurs in the east; the first half of the show (which probably got shortened in both tours so more from Night Castle could be played) or other.

Night Castle is a huge piece to consider as never before has TSO played as much in the second half. Is that a factor for you?

I'm not saying you are right or wrong and it doesn't matter to me what your friends think, your opinion is what counts. Your words mean as much as anyone else who posts here.

To be fair to those who are reading this (and thank you for the rep points, DMs with your comments), it would help if you could explain what you found you like better in the east's presentation. Please do consider the changes this year and whether you would have liked them in the east's performance, plus their familiarity with the venue.

Finally, it would be interesting to know when Fort Wayne was on the schedule in the past compared to this year. It seems like Ft. Wayne was in the first two weeks, if not less. Historically, Ft. Wayne

BTW - do you own Night Castle? I ask as I am curious whether those who DON'T own it enjoyed the second half as much as the first. I have my own thoughts about that, but want to ask others for THEIR opinons.

Thanks for being honest. That is what this thread is for, and as I stated earlier, it doesn't matter what your friends think as your opinon counts as much as anyone else who posts here.

Looking forward to your additional thoughts.....

From the Dayton Matinee - "Promises to Keep"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtCaVwg1Vgs

MSR

Old 12-05-2009, 02:27 AM

Cool TSO west playing 3 songs from Night Castle

Toccata, Carpimus Noctem and The Mountain (the Savatage Cover):

The sound of the helicopters which is so key to the Story of Night Castle can be heard in the background.

If you don't know the way to San Jose, no worries. Someone got many good vids fromt the San Jose show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFdOb...eature=related

Do you feel more like you were there (except you can't feel the heat from the pyro)?

MSR

Old 12-05-2009, 02:47 AM

Thumbs up What The Finale is Really Like When Musicians Run Up Into the Stadium....

I like this vid (and would welcome one from TSO east if someone could find one that shows as much).

The vid shows one of the best overall experience of trying to take in everything that is happening at once. It shows people how much there is to take in at the end of a show: music, laser, lights, fog, TWO stages with the back stage rising about 20 -30 foot upward (not sure about how high it goes exactly - if someone knows, please post), plus the musicians playing as they run into partially up the stairs in the arena back and forth to the main (front) stage and more.

This is the best vid I've seen of having Angus Clark and Caitlin Moe run down the stairs, into the audience, partially up the stairs in the arena before going to the back stage and be lifted in the air.

Notice the small TSO in the background as they finish. Absolutely different than last year's major TSO from the major moving pieces of the set coming down.

Music is: Requim (The Fifth), Christmas Jam (from the Lost Christmas Eve), and a reprise of Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24.

Look forward to someone posting something similar from the TSO east so viewers can experience part of what the end is really like!

ENJOY :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS6SzWkAjWI&NR=1

MSR

Old 12-05-2009, 03:06 AM

Lightbulb Dayton, OH Finale: TSO east (The Sound is Lacking, can't count that against the band IMHO)

The sound isn't equal to San Jose. That being a given. Check out TSO east's version, played at Dayton, OH, of the same Finale played in San Jose by TSO west. It would help if the sound were better. However, I'm grateful for all that we get on YouTube and elsewhere to share with those who haven't been to TSO previously.

It appears to me that it is Chris Caffery going to the back stage with Anna Phoebe. One has to remember that Mark Wood, the one recorded on all TSO albums, for some reason dropped out the last month before TSO west toured. There is only one Anna Phoebe, but I've also heard people say there is only one Mark Wood. He is featured a lot in the strings in the DVD, just so you know who he is. Adding Roddy Chong, for strings in the west, was a decision made probably as late as Oct. as Mark Wood was listed as touring until about the week before the tour started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LP6kr34AQ0

This isn't about putting down one tour or the other. So please highlight what you like in the tour you like. We're all different and we like different aspects of the show.

For me, seeing Al Pitrelli play and knowing he has played all the guitar solos on all the TSO CDs, plus most of the last 4-5 Savatage albums (although uncredited until the last few years), is a pleasure. When I hear the guitar solos on the CDs, I know that is Al and no one else. My experience is he plays as well live as on the CDs.

Others may have other people they like to see or hear live to know that is the sound of X playing on the albums. I'd like to hear Bob Kinkle play so I can sort out what is Bob vs. Jane Mangini. Both came from Madison Ave. and the world of jingles.

If someone has a better finale of TSO east, PLEASE post. I couldn't find it tonight. I'd love to see the best finale of this line up touring this year.

MSR

Old 12-05-2009, 09:19 PM

1,803 posts, read 3,171,030 times
I was at TSO in Colorado Springs in November. I was a little bummed that it was so early. The past few years it was the first week of December and it was perfect timing to just kick off the Christmas season. Still a good show no matter when it was. I wish I was able to photograph one of their concerts, that would be awesome.

Anyone else hear them mention a Spring tour in 2010?

Night Castle is a great cd. I listened to the songs, but haven't got around to reading the story behind it yet. My favorite is Mozart and Memories with O fortuna, nutrocker, night enchanted, midnight and madness and epiphany coming in behind it.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:59 AM

Lightbulb A New Mexico Treat: An Educated Review and YouTube Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I was at TSO in Colorado Springs in November. I was a little bummed that it was so early. The past few years it was the first week of December and it was perfect timing to just kick off the Christmas season. Still a good show no matter when it was. I wish I was able to photograph one of their concerts, that would be awesome.

Anyone else hear them mention a Spring tour in 2010?

Night Castle is a great cd. I listened to the songs, but haven't got around to reading the story behind it yet. My favorite is Mozart and Memories with O fortuna, nutrocker, night enchanted, midnight and madness and epiphany coming in behind it.
Hi Brill,

Sorry it took me some time to get back to you. So were you there when Angus crashed and ruined (I don't think it could be repaired) his guitar in the Springs about 3 years ago? TSO west likes the Springs. Angus spent so much time with his aunt and uncle in CO. But, they like (in general) the Rocky Mtn. West states/venues.

I read a great article which described Night Castle very clearly and simply. I was looking for it today and found the review of the concert, plus a You Tube link. I'll still post the article when I get to it so you can get a brief summary of the 7 year old girl being told the tale, while watching a fire on a beach in CA. Thus the song, "Sparks."

VIDEO EXTRA: Trans-Siberian Orchestra orchestrates magnificent show - Las Cruces Sun-News

ENJOY the review and YouTube link. I haven't seen the entire YouTube link yet as I was scanning for good ones to post from TSO east too.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music