Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 AM

11,248 posts, read 11,022,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Totally unrelated but if I post a third post in a row some people will get a little uptight.

Rock on Rush and devoted Rush Fans here ........
Nonsense MSR! I don't think anyone would even notice (well.... In the sense of the CD police.... )

Thank you for being such a dedicated Rush fan and for your tireless contributions to this thread. You are a wealth of knowledge, and I enjoy everything you have taken the time to share (as I would hope any true Rush fan would). You continue posting anything and everything you believe is relevant to our favorite band. Like you said, they've been around for 40 years, which is just a little longer than I've been alive. During the course of a career of this length (especially when the line up is as consistent as it has been with Rush), there is much music and history made. Their personal lives are shared with their fans, and in a sense, it almost becomes as if you know the guys as close friends, even though most of us have never been physically closer to them than the 20 feet that separates the front row from the stage.

The Trees - Rush (Official Video) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Thumbs up It Is Official: RUSH to be inducted to the RRHOF!

We've waited a long time for this announcement and here it is directly from Rolling Stone:

Geddy Lee on Rush's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction: 'We'll Show Up Smiling' | Music News | Rolling Stone

CONGRATS TO GEDDY, ALEX AND NEIL!

To honor them just a couple of songs that describe such important parts of their journey:

"The Spirit of Radio" from the Clockwork Angels tour.

Rush Clockwork Angels Tour- "Spirit of Radio" (720p HD) Live in Columbus on Sept 20, 2012 - YouTube Cool drum kit and another fun stage. Try to ignore the ding dong sitting to the side with her phone. I really wonder why they put people in those seats and Geddy does look at her a few times - how distracting. But cool angle to watch Alex rapidly play the intro.

"Begin the day with a friendly voice,
A companion unobtrusive
Plays that song that's so elusive
And the magic music makes your morning mood."

And "Time Stand Still" in Honor of their upcoming induction to the RRHOF.

(Time stand still)
"I'm not looking back
But I want to look around me now
(Time stand still)
See more of the people and the places that surround me now
Freeze this moment a little bit longer
Make each sensation a little bit stronger
Experience slips away
Experience slips away"

EXCEPT THIS EXPERIENCE WILL NEVER SLIP AWAY!

RUSH - Time Stand Still - Live In Cleveland DVD - YouTube

All rights belong to Rush etc.

Rock On Rush Fans

MSR

Old 12-20-2012, 06:54 AM

163 posts, read 306,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
[color="Blue"]Yes, I know we're not suppose to post back to back.
This is very long. Ray Danniels doesn't become the discussion until well into excerpts of the second chapter. This is from Sammy Hager's book: Sammy Hagar book excerpts, Chapters 19&20 - Guitars101 - Guitar Forums

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read the whole thing which was rather interesting and, assuming even a fraction of what Hagar said was true, makes me wonder why the "Van Hagar" version of the band lasted as long as it did. Relative to the discussions on Ray Danniels I always though it an odd choice for Van Halen given the generally conservative management style he had exhibited with Rush through the years. Note that I said "conservative", which doesn't of necessity imply "bad". Of course once I saw that Ray was Alex's brother-in-law I could see how the introductions to the VH bros got made.

Any long time Rush fan knows that the band eschewed the typical routes to popularity such as late night TV show appearances or appearances in fan mags such as "Hit Parader", "Circus", or "Creem". They simply weren't that type of band and frankly I'm grateful for it. The achieved success on their own terms, which, certainly in the 70s, required and involved lots and lots of hard touring, which is something that Hagar mentions that Danniels wanted for Van Halen - despite Hagar's concerns of over-exposure, which in VH's case was probably true. VH was never afraid of touring but Danniel's recommendation of hitting the same city 3 times within 6 months was ridiculous (assuming it was true). Hagar suggests that Danniels made this recommendation to maximize Danniel's income since he got a hefty cut of the touring and merchandising monies.

But back to Rush - So what role does/did Danniels play in Rushs' success ? Was/is he some type of svengali mastermind who is largely responsible for all the good things that Rush has achieved or has he simply been a lucky guy to be associated with Rush who did all the heavy lifting for him ?

And, given Rush's early association with Cliff Burnstein when he was at Mercury, (and now a famous Q-Prime management partner), I've always wonder why they didn't make a jump over to Q-Prime at some point since they did very, very well by Metallica. Burnstein, (I think Rush called him Uncle Cliff), was always a supporter of the band in its earliest days and I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't had at least one conversation about moving to Q-Prime. We're not talking about creating a "Rush clothing line", (what the hell would that even look like ?), or marketing a set of "2112 Golf Clubs" but the DVD releases (R30, Rush in Rio), should have been coming out a decade ago albeit with an adjustment to the name (e.g. R20).

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy with the band and they seem smart enough guys that they would do what was best for them but some of the negative comments attributed to Danniels in the Hagar article, ("Rush is washed up") are pretty shocking - again if they are true. One notes that the book was never published but its there on the Internet and has been for a while now so its likely to have made the rounds. For Van Halen its largely irrelevant at this point but for Ray D. it might be (or have been) embarrassing.

Last edited by Somoso; 12-20-2012 at 08:09 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somoso View Post

We're not talking about creating a "Rush clothing line", (what the hell would that even look like ?), or marketing a set of "2112 Golf Clubs" but the DVD releases (R30, Rush in Rio), should have been coming out a decade ago albeit with an adjustment to the name (e.g. R20).
Well, there are Rush golf balls on the merch page of their website.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM

163 posts, read 306,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Well, there are Rush golf balls on the merch page of their website.
Wow ! Really ? Didn't know that.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
The first Rush song I heard was "Spirit of Radio" in 1980. It came on the radio and I was quite spirited afterwards. :-)

Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somoso View Post
Wow ! Really ? Didn't know that.
Actually, I guess they don't sell those anymore, but they used to. I bought a set for my brother a couple years ago for Christmas. They do, however, still sell snake skin Rush thongs.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:48 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,022,956 times
CONGRATULATIONS RUSH!

It's been deserved for a long time now.

Rush - Dreamline - Live 1994 - YouTube

Old 12-26-2012, 02:27 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Subdivisions - Rush

Rush - Subdivisions w/ Lyrics - YouTube

Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Lightbulb What's a Guy to do? In his 50s, not able to play foot pedals, and hold/play two guitars at the same time anymore.......

Some great new posts. Thanks everyone for posting for the guys, who are out touring again.

Ray Danniels had to use his own $ for Rush to recoverd in Canada. So he took the financial risk one time on them and they did the work (including John R.) and were heard in CLEVELAND.

Interesting thoughts about Van-Halen/Danniels era. I can't say I believe every word The Red Rocker wrote; however, it certainly does make some things about Van Halen a little more clear 4 me.

I'm sure the golf balls were due to Alex's love to golf. He golfs on-tour everytime he cans. He might have a part ownership of a golf course in Toronto, I can't remember.

That's funny about the snakeskin items for sell. It reminds me of something else commercially available in our beloved Rocky Mountains that I won't mention at the moment.

I wanted to post this as I just thought of a brand new thread that should be started in Music. I need to ensure I won't be starting something already done. If is has been done then it is time to update it.

Meanwhile, I wanted to post this. We all know Geddy can play one hand on the bass, one on a keyboard and pedals while singing (can we say multi-tasking? ); however, in looking at this tonight online I was struck that often how versatile Alex is as well. We know it, but we don't always highlight it compared to Neil and Geddy (or at least I don't).

Watch closely between 1:30 - 1:50 and again about 50 seconds later to see how Alex has compensated over the years to be adaptable and not lose the sound of the music.

"Entre Nous" live...........

RUSH - Entre Nous - Live In Holland - HD - YouTube

All rights belong to RUSH, their mgt and the wonderful people who keep uploading to YouTube

Rock one Rush Fans..................

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music