Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,404,882 times

Advertisements

Sorry about the back to back posts. When I could find what I was looking for I couldn't edit typos out of the last past nor add this one.

Fortunately, someone did start the thread months ago I was going to start if it was still missing.
"2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Announced" How about some cross posting so we can let others know this thread exists?

Both because Rush will finally be given International "Limelight" in a different way (in the first L.A. RRHOH Ceremony) and because of the comments on this page - check out this YouTube post of Limelight and PLEASE read the comments!!!

Rush - "Limelight" Time Machine Tour 2011: Live In Cleveland [OFFICIAL] - YouTube

Enjoy and Rock on Rush Fans !

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 02:27 AM

Couldn't resist posting this when I read one of the comments under it on YouTube. All rights belong to Donnie Iris, CoryCorano and all others involved, which is NOT me.

On CoryCorano's YouTube, there is a comment from LuxyAAA from 2 days ago:

"If Geddy Lee and Sid Dithers had a child...." :

Ah Leah by Donnie Iris (wonder if he is a Rush fan as he played Cleveland a lot and of course it was Cleveland radio station who first played his music too.).

Donnie Iris "Ah Leah" - YouTube

So check this out from Wiki as the comment written above under a YouTube post cracked me up, Cleveland was the place for Donnie Iris as well as RUSH

"1980s ..... Iris' first album, Back on the Streets, was released in July 1980 on the small Cleveland, Ohio-based Midwest Records.[3] With the track "Ah! Leah!" receiving airplay in Boston, Cleveland and Pittsburgh, MCA Records took notice and quickly signed Iris to a five album deal and re-released the album nationally in October. The first single "Ah! Leah!" peaked at #29 on the Billboard Hot 100 in February 1981 and became one of the most frequently played AOR tracks of the year..."

And a good Rush answer to the above would be???????????????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LocBngOFeFY

Coldfire (with the country twange in the intro)

Enjoy and laugh about Donnie Iris looking like Geddy's child......

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-23-2013 at 03:07 AM..

Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 AM

Hey check this out.... Neil talks about making Moving Pics. Interesting how he talks about writing the main theme of the song and the main drum beat needing to be clear for the average listener. Then he talks about what he adds for "fun."

Neil Peart on 'Moving Pictures' Track By Track - YouTube

BTW, I posted a post of Van Halen elsewhere and looked at Alex VH's drum kit. Interesting how some parts are so similar to Neil's. Maybe Ray Danniels was drawn by the drummers for each band

MSR

Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 PM

11,185 posts, read 10,960,959 times

Rush Need Some Love Original Drummer John Rutsey 1974 Live! - YouTube

Old 03-06-2013, 03:18 PM

52,626 posts, read 47,829,770 times
This one here is still an old favorite.

YYZ - Rush

Rush - yyz - YouTube

Old 03-07-2013, 02:15 AM

Nice one ditch. I always laugh with than one. Wonder what Alex's grandkids would say about his hair back in the day? And Geddy's "robe," well, he always said they were challenged when it came to their outfits.
BTW - thanks for the rep point. I can't rep anyone again.

From Power Windows - Emotion Detector: ( Full Dynamic Range with No Compression on this version)

"If we get too much attention
It gets hard to overrule
So often fragile power turns
To scorn and ridicule"

"Right to the heart of the matter
Right to the beautiful part
Illusions are painfully shattered
Right where discovery starts
In the secret wells of emotion
Buried deep in our hearts"

Rush - Emotion Detector (Power Windows, 1985) Original CD Mastering (Full Dynamic Range) - YouTube

and just to compare - this is an early demo tape of the same song. Very cool actually to hear what they started with and what the finished product became. This is the first time I've ever heard this early demo.

Emotion Detector - Rush - Power Windows Demo Tape - YouTube

This one is for you Ditch, since I can't rep you, at least I can post one of favorite new Rush songs: "Anarchist,"

Rush-"The Anarchist"-2012 HQ - YouTube

MSR

Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 AM

Not many today could play these guitars the way Alex and Geddy do, let alone playing synths etc. All in a night's work, right?

Xanadu

Rush - Xanadu ( Exit Stage Left ) - YouTube

BTW - does anyone know who is inducting RUSH into the RRHOF next month? I think the concert is 4/18.

Thanks

MSR

Old 03-11-2013, 02:50 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,259,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

BTW - does anyone know who is inducting RUSH into the RRHOF next month? I think the concert is 4/18.

Thanks

MSR
I think I read somewhere that Billy Corgan will induct them. I can't stand him, but I guess that choice makes at least a little bit of sense since he was in the Rush documentary.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I think I read somewhere that Billy Corgan will induct them. I can't stand him, but I guess that choice makes at least a little bit of sense since he was in the Rush documentary.
I like Corgan. I think what he and Geddy have in common is the two of them have amongst the most distinctive voices in rock music. Most of the people who dislike these two bands dislike them for the same reason. For those that hate the SP's and Rush, many state the vocals are annoying. For those that love the SP's and Rush, this is one of the most admired traits.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:55 PM

Rush - [Disk 2] The Making of 2112 + Moving Pictures [1-4] - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music