Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
If you haven't seen it already, this is part of how Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins (along with Kevin R. - on bass) inducted Rush to the RRHOFF:

2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. RUSH 2112 Overture performed by Foo Fighters - YouTube

It's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW - I'm one of those who does NOT think it was a coincidence that Geddy sang, "And the Meek Shall Inherit the Earth."

MSR
I finally did it right this time.....with Geddy's one sung line as the title. If you haven't watched it do - it's funny enough to watch Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins dressed up and not trying to lose their hair.

This has to be one of the funniest induction songs ever. Check it out- you'll laugh regardless of whether you're a fan or not. This is comedy and genius, IMHO

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 05:02 PM

Default HBO Sat. 5/18 will have recorded version

These look like abbreviated performances of Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio- the one filming ran out of space on his media space.

Nonetheless, enjoy what is there:

Rush Performing "Tom Sawyer" at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction 4/18/2013 Nokia Theatre - YouTube

2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction / Rush The Spirit of Radio - YouTube

And this is an interesting collection to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

I hope all those in the RRHOF who refused to have their names on the ballot for all of these years were in agony while others were at least happy for a 3 guys who haven't cheated on their wives, haven't made headlines for doing drugs or beating up kids, or DUIs and driving etc. like so many who are in HollyWEIRD are honored for doing.

And I hope true fans are still rocking on and smiling as maybe dreams do come true for more than just Neil and his second chance having a family.

MSR

Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 PM

Let's get this thread moving again.

I admit, I'm having a hard time loving a lot of Clockwork Angels. Maybe some of them become favorites after a while.

To still celebrate the RRHOF induction a week ago, Here's a song about being in "The Camera's Eye."

Rush - The Camera Eye (DVD Time Machine:Live in Cleveland) - YouTube

and to honor you, Eddie Trunk, here is one of your interviews with Alex and Geddy.

Eddie Trunk "Hangin' With Rush" Interview 2005 (full) - YouTube

All rights belong to VH1, MTV, all the suits associated with all the productions etc. and RUSH. I claim no rights to any of this interview.

ENJOY - especially if you haven't seen Eddie before.

MSR

Old 05-03-2013, 05:08 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I hope all those in the RRHOF who refused to have their names on the ballot for all of these years were in agony while others were at least happy for a 3 guys who haven't cheated on their wives, haven't made headlines for doing drugs or beating up kids, or DUIs and driving etc. like so many who are in HollyWEIRD are honored for doing.

And I hope true fans are still rocking on and smiling as maybe dreams do come true for more than just Neil and his second chance having a family.

MSR
It's interesting you brought that up. I was just thinking about that the other day. Three guys, together as a trio since 1974, no crazy madness, no break-ups due to irreconciliable differences between members, no known drug or alcohol issues (40 years is a long time to keep it hidden even if there is/was)........

These accomplishments alone in an industry such as this are absolutely remarkable to say the least. The band is classy, and I've also had the priveledge of meeting some pretty classy fans at the live shows I've been to over the years. This band broke the mold and they are now, finally, being recognized for their role in music history.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
It's interesting you brought that up. I was just thinking about that the other day. Three guys, together as a trio since 1974, no crazy madness, no break-ups due to irreconciliable differences between members, no known drug or alcohol issues (40 years is a long time to keep it hidden even if there is/was)........

These accomplishments alone in an industry such as this are absolutely remarkable to say the least. The band is classy, and I've also had the priveledge of meeting some pretty classy fans at the live shows I've been to over the years. This band broke the mold and they are now, finally, being recognized for their role in music history.
Ditch,

A lot of the speculation of why they were "outsiders" not included earlier is they were "normal." They didn't make headlines (or maybe a more accurate statement is they didn't make Tabloids and DUIs weekly, like some).

I agree, I smile as I think they are now in the "Hall" hopefully causing some heartburn in some who rallied efforts for years to keep them out (can we say certain Rolling Stone editors etc.?). Now they have to live with it.

John Mayer, as he had to leave the awards ceremony early upon seeing the devoted RUSH fans said he wants all of them for his fans, musicians just don't see that type of fan. That's probably true, but the fans have to have reasons to be so devoted, including a quality "product," from the greatest power trio.

I think I posted it in one of the clips. If I didn't, Geddy said the person in charge told him 4/18 was so peaceful and went so smoothly as he wasn't getting THOUSANDS of emails from angry RUSH fans

DUMB GUY Rush fans aren't violent, they are passionate and didn't want to see decent human beings denied again. This power trio defies musical odds by their mastery of their own instruments, have lyrics that require an IQ higher than room temperature to understand and are true friends who returned for what would have been the end for many, with the Hiatus for Neil, sometimes good guys can come in first.

I was listening to this today and thought about how it fit for them:

Rush: Mission (Snakes and Arrows Live) - YouTube

"It's cold comfort
To the ones without it
To know how they struggled
How they suffered about it
If their lives were exotic and strange
They would likely have gladly exchanged them
For something a little more plain
Maybe something a little more sane

We each pay a fabulous price
For our visions of paradise
But a spirit with a vision is a dream
With a mission "

MSR - ROCK ON RUSH FANS

Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 PM

Stumbled on this AWESOME of Wreckers -

Rush - The Wreckers - Philadelphia 10/12/12 - YouTube

MSR

Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 PM

Damn, this is just such a beautiful song! I love it more every time I hear it! I'm ashamed to say I havent been to a live show since Snakes and Arrows. You know, the closest they play to us is Washington (300 miles round trip, and they didn't play the usual venue the last round, which meant a 500+ mile round trip). For anyone who has never witnessed a live show of theirs, this is a great example of how elaborate their sets can be. This is one of their softest songs, but it is easily becoming one of my top 10 favorites of all time by these guys (maybe even top 5!). Alex even takes over the keybords on this one for Geddy. What a band! ENJOY!!!

Rush - The Garden 2-Cam (Live) 2012 MHT - YouTube

Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Damn, this is just such a beautiful song! I love it more every time I hear it! I'm ashamed to say I havent been to a live show since Snakes and Arrows. You know, the closest they play to us is Washington (300 miles round trip, and they didn't play the usual venue the last round, which meant a 500+ mile round trip). For anyone who has never witnessed a live show of theirs, this is a great example of how elaborate their sets can be. This is one of their softest songs, but it is easily becoming one of my top 10 favorites of all time by these guys (maybe even top 5!). Alex even takes over the keybords on this one for Geddy. What a band! ENJOY!!!

Rush - The Garden 2-Cam (Live) 2012 MHT - YouTube
Ditch, I agree. The Garden is one of my favs on Clockwork Angels. When I write I don't think Neil was capable of writing certain lyrics earlier in life, that is a direct reference to this song.

As I recall, Kevin R. who produced Clockwork Angels, said this was the song they switched instruments and HE wanted Alex to do the keyboards on the recorded version and Geddy to play lead guitar etc.

It also says something that this power trio who has played together for 4 decades can now tour with a string section for the first time and be successful.

Hang in there about when they will play closer again. They vowed years ago to only tour for 3 weeks at a time before going back home to check in and make sure they were keeping up with their families. They are always announcing new dates. They prefer certain outdoor venues due to the weather and some real problems with their sound in NBA-arenas.

I've always liked "Nobody's Hero" from Counterparts. I recall some of the CD being posted on various sites to honor Neil when he lost Selena, saying it was unbelievable he wrote these lyrics and later suffered her loss. There was no brutality, otherwise these lyrics are haunting when considering how she was killed in an off-road ATV accident.

"I didn't know the girl, but I knew her family
All their lives were shattered in a nightmare of brutality
They try to carry on, try to bear the agony
Try to hold some faith in the goodness of humanity
As the years went by, we drifted apart
When I heard that she was gone
I felt a shadow cross my heart"

"As the years went by, we drifted apart
When I heard that you were gone
I felt a shadow cross my heart"

"But he's nobody's hero
Saves a drowning child
Cures a wasting disease
Hero...lands the crippled airplane
Solves great mysteries"

RUSH LYRICS - Nobody's Hero

MSR

Old 06-01-2013, 03:55 PM

One of my earlier favorites! Quite an underrated tune!

Rush-Permanent Waves-Jacobs Ladder-1980 - YouTube

Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Lifeson's rant is the best. That's the most sarcastic thing I've seen in a long while. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music