Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 08:32 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times

Advertisements

Here's some info about Neil's various drum kits from his first drum up through R 30.
I know with Drum Workers he uses a different size cymbal. Why go with a 16" or 18" or other sizes when Drum Works would make him a 17" custom?

Neil used his first two kick drums (bass) as he was building a kit as a teenager at home. Apparently, he'd change back and forth for different LPs they made over the years.

Ditch, what I hear in that Badfinger vid that is similar are somethings no one had really done before. Both Gibbins and Peart were LOUD as they wanted the drums to be an instrument not the background. They can be in the background.

They also had explosive speed, which Peart still does. And their use of various drums compared to what most used was similar.
If anything, both were influenced by Keith Moon. However, I cannot vote Moon as the best drummer ever (or Bonaham). To me, the ability to not get involved in drugs and booze ending life too early from overdoses and the ability to incorporate new drums like the Synth. pads, all factor in. Peart will always get my vote
Mean Mean Stride: The Drums Of Neil Peart - DRUM! Magazine

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 05:41 PM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Great sound quality. The master at work.

Rush - Neil Peart Drum Solo / The Rhythm Method (Live In Concert "A View From The Palace" 1994) - YouTube

Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 AM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QVRTaI2RIj0

Some hidden treasures.

MSR

Old 02-16-2014, 01:59 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,062,999 times

Rush A Passage To Bangkok - YouTube

Old 02-26-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn350 View Post
Alex always laughs about that one. Thanks for posting, Gurn350. I hope you'll post more.

MSR

Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 PM

Default Still Thinking About Drum Kits and Changes..

I've watched this DVD recently. They go through musical changes per each LP or CD. I think the first 8 sections are here.

Alex absolutely says Neil played like a combination of Keith Moon and John Bonham. What is also interesting, is besides John Rutsey's health, the fact he was more interested in Bad Company than Alex or Neil I heard a bit differently this time listening.

So yes, ultimately the roll of the drums (major instrument) instead of just filler or to keep time goes back to what I heard and posted about Badfinger.

See what you learn this time through and post please.

Mostly, enjoy
http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC40A302D2A7CE24E

MSR

Old 02-27-2014, 11:02 AM

11,247 posts, read 11,020,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I've watched this DVD recently. They go through musical changes per each LP or CD. I think the first 8 sections are here.

Alex absolutely says Neil played like a combination of Keith Moon and John Bonham. What is also interesting, is besides John Rutsey's health, the fact he was more interested in Bad Company than Alex or Neil I heard a bit differently this time listening.

So yes, ultimately the roll of the drums (major instrument) instead of just filler or to keep time goes back to what I heard and posted about Badfinger.

See what you learn this time through and post please.

Mostly, enjoy
http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC40A302D2A7CE24E

MSR
Yes, what you posted takes the viewer through the work he did with Freddie Gruber and their release of Counterparts. As far as Rutsey goes, his health was a major factor with his departure from the band, but even if there were no health issues, I don't think he would have worked out. His vision for the future of Rush and the direction he wanted the guys to go was quite different from that of Lifeson and Lee, as well as the fact that he shunned the life on the road. It was the best thing that could have happened, because Peart completes the band entirely. The argument could be made that Rush would have fizzled out by 1980 with Rutsey in place.

See, MSR, I think I view this documentary differently than you, at least in certain aspects. You are much more focused on the musicianship through their years (and that is awesome, nothing wrong with that at all). I value this documentary (and it is one of the best on any band I've ever seen) from the standpoint of the cohesiveness and chemistry it displays showing them as a group, along with their humble beginnings and modest/family oriented lifestyles, following through with their relentless work ethics and perseverance when most others in the industry were ready to write them off. If these guys aren't the perfect role models for aspiring musicians, I don't know what group would be.

As you mentioned before, what Peart has that Moon and Bonham never can is the longevity of career and the massive catalog of work. While all three are/were masters of their profession, Peart is the only one in which a fan can view the individuals life over a substantial period of time. Peart's now effectively been alive twice as long as both Moon and Bonham, and he's still going strong. Unfortunately, we will never know where the other two would be now if their lives had not ended so tragically at a young age.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Yes, what you posted takes the viewer through the work he did with Freddie Gruber and their release of Counterparts. As far as Rutsey goes, his health was a major factor with his departure from the band, but even if there were no health issues, I don't think he would have worked out. His vision for the future of Rush and the direction he wanted the guys to go was quite different from that of Lifeson and Lee, as well as the fact that he shunned the life on the road. It was the best thing that could have happened, because Peart completes the band entirely. The argument could be made that Rush would have fizzled out by 1980 with Rutsey in place.

See, MSR, I think I view this documentary differently than you, at least in certain aspects. You are much more focused on the musicianship through their years (and that is awesome, nothing wrong with that at all). I value this documentary (and it is one of the best on any band I've ever seen) from the standpoint of the cohesiveness and chemistry it displays showing them as a group, along with their humble beginnings and modest/family oriented lifestyles, following through with their relentless work ethics and perseverance when most others in the industry were ready to write them off. If these guys aren't the perfect role models for aspiring musicians, I don't know what group would be.

As you mentioned before, what Peart has that Moon and Bonham never can is the longevity of career and the massive catalog of work. While all three are/were masters of their profession, Peart is the only one in which a fan can view the individuals life over a substantial period of time. Peart's now effectively been alive twice as long as both Moon and Bonham, and he's still going strong. Unfortunately, we will never know where the other two would be now if their lives had not ended so tragically at a young age.
Thanks Ditch. Yes, I value their musical abilities highly; however, I also look at things like chemistry and egos etc. in the band.

The point has been made in recent documentaries there could never be another Beatles invasion again. A huge factor in that is Youtube and technology allowing residents in most of the world to see them before they toured. Thus the elements of surprise and anticipation could never be as they were for the Beatles and why they received the reception they did. I argue the same is true for RUSH, albeit for different reasons.

RUSH might be the ultimate Canadian supersrars compared to Beibar and others had YouTube introduced them to the world. One of the great things about Snakes and Arrows live is when Rush discovered their enormous Latin American fanbase.

I think also all the Cover Bands and vids of various people playing usually drums or bass as a Rush tribute makes a statement too. If this wasn't the perfect balance in musicianship, friendship and about longevity of a band.

John Rutsey wanted to sound like pop of the day. Bad Company is mentioned a couple of times. That is not where Lee and Lifeson were headed. Neil not only shared their vision, he strengthened it IMO. He had been to England and played some, learned and before returning back to Canada. It was after England Peart auditioned for RUSH. He knew what was needed and could provide it.

Good points, Ditch. Does anyone else think of something differently? All views are welcome here

MSR

Old 03-14-2014, 12:31 PM

Default Q TV interview with Alex and Geddy

I posted this maybe a year ago. If you haven't seen it, despite being an hour and older now (New CDs have been released), this is a great interview.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rt1YBFmsXSs

Enjoy

MSR

Old 03-14-2014, 12:40 PM

990 posts, read 1,725,914 times
saw them in concert in indpls back in the early 1980s - great show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music