Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is a fast live version of "Kid Gloves" recorded in Largo, Maryland back in the day.

It's gotta be good if it's from Maryland, right? :-)

Rush - Kid Gloves 9-27-1984 - YouTube

Big City Dreamer,

Maryland, huh? Officially, welcome to the Rush thread.

You have some of the most interesting vids. We've needed your different vids and thoughts here. I hope you keep posting those many of us have not seen previously. Likewise, we probably have some cool things posted in our fairly detailed Rush collection here.

Marathon at Red Rocks! (For those who have seen Red Rocks).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t23x8C5KBr4

Not the best, consistent sound. But the location, location, location

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,022,956 times
How 'bout a little Rush tonight?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FwZaSwL4XM

Old 06-28-2014, 07:51 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
3 Favorite songs...

1) Red Barchetta. It's one of those songs that really sticks in my head when I'm motorcycling. It's also one I find myself twisting (or pushing) a little more on the throttle whenever it's on the radio or running through my brain. Got at least a couple speeding tickets with that one.

2) Countdown, about the space shuttle launch. Great job of capturing the emotion of such an event.

3) This is where it gets tough for me, there are so many I like very much. I guess I'd go with Limelight, both musically and due to the insight into Neil Peart and his basic aversion to publicity or fame, in a profession that demands it. It's about a tie with side 1 of 2112.

I'd really love to ride with Neil sometime.

I have a question...I know virtually nothing about music, other than what I like. For those that do....what is the most demanding song that Neil performs?

Old 06-29-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have a question...I know virtually nothing about music, other than what I like. For those that do....what is the most demanding song that Neil performs?
Hey Toyman, thanks for coming over to the Rush thread. To answer your question, Neil has stated in several interviews over the years that Tom Sawyer is the most technically demanding song he plays live and that it's a challenge to get right every time he plays it (which has been virtually every live show for the last 33 years).

Feel free to post videos if you like as well. Anything band related. It doesn't have to be music.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:22 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Hey Toyman, thanks for coming over to the Rush thread. To answer your question, Neil has stated in several interviews over the years that Tom Sawyer is the most technically demanding song he plays live and that it's a challenge to get right every time he plays it (which has been virtually every live show for the last 33 years).

Feel free to post videos if you like as well. Anything band related. It doesn't have to be music.

Rush - Tom Sawyer - YouTube

I wouldn't have expected that to be such a hard song, but after really watching Neil play, I can believe it. This vid is from '81...hard to believe how good they were even as "kids". Almost more so, that they can still play at the level they do at their current, "non-kid" ages.

I've been reading several of Neil's books lately. I'm currently working on Far and Away. As an adventure motorcyclist, it is really appealing to me. I'd like to see Rush do a song about motorcycling. They can bring out an emotion about an event better than any band I know.

The lines from Red Barchetta...

"Well weathered leather
hot metal and oil
the sun, the country air.
Sunlight on chrome
the blur of the landscape
every nerve aware"

always go running through my head on a good ride. Even though the song is about a car, it still fits motorcycling better than any other song I can think of. Even if adv bikes don't have any chrome or leather (boots/jacket maybe?).

I don't know...maybe something like how Countdown captures the emotion/triumph of the shuttle launch (seems like a good "fit" for a Thunderbirds or Blue Angles exhibition as well), could be done for motorcycling. Some way to capture and explain it to non-riders. One of the neat aspects of Neil's motorcycling is some of the pictures of him on the ground under the bike doing his own oil changes on his GS. Seeing a guy at his "station" in life and with more money than I can imagine still getting dirty and doing something so basic kind of makes him more down to earth I guess. Just reminiscing I guess, just did an oil change on my own bike tonight.

In several of his books Neil mentions a friend that goes by "Brutus". Does anyone know who that is?

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 07-01-2014 at 11:47 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I've been reading several of Neil's books lately. I'm currently working on Far and Away. As an adventure motorcyclist, it is really appealing to me. I'd like to see Rush do a song about motorcycling. They can bring out an emotion about an event better than any band I know.

I don't know...maybe something like how Countdown captures the emotion/triumph of the shuttle launch (seems like a good "fit" for a Thunderbirds or Blue Angles exhibition as well), could be done for motorcycling. Some way to capture and explain it to non-riders. One of the neat aspects of Neil's motorcycling is some of the pictures of him on the ground under the bike doing his own oil changes on his GS. Seeing a guy at his "station" in life and with more money than I can imagine still getting dirty and doing something so basic kind of makes him more down to earth I guess. Just reminiscing I guess, just did an oil change on my own bike tonight.

In several of his books Neil mentions a friend that goes by "Brutus". Does anyone know who that is?
I'm not an avid reader but I did read Ghostrider:Travels on the Healing Road a few years back. I believe Brutus is a good friend and long time riding companion that often joins Neil on his rides from venue to venue across Canada and the States when the band is touring.

As Rush's chief lyricist, Neil knows how to convert events and images into beautiful and descriptive words like no other. Your example with Red Barchetta is just one of many of those. It's also great when you have a singer like Geddy who can take those out of the norm lyrics and make them sound completely natural in a song (which there are countless examples of, especially in their work from the 70's). If there is anyone who can paint a complex image into someone's mind through the use of simple words, it is Neil Peart.

While all three members of Rush are very interesting characters, I find Peart to be the most fascinating, and mysterious, of the bunch. He's become much more open with his personal life and who he is as an individual over the years, but he's still considered the quiet and introvertive one of the band. As I stated in an earlier post, whenever I think I've accomplished a lot in life, I look at Peart and it makes me feel like I have accomplished squat. The guy really is an amazing specimen of a human, particularly in the sense of endurance and artistic competence.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:50 PM

Cool Toyman.....who knew we'd connect here too?

Quote:
3 Favorite songs...

1) Red Barchetta. It's one of those songs that really sticks in my head when I'm motorcycling. It's also one I find myself twisting (or pushing) a little more on the throttle whenever it's on the radio or running through my brain. Got at least a couple speeding tickets with that one.

2) Countdown, about the space shuttle launch. Great job of capturing the emotion of such an event.

3) This is where it gets tough for me, there are so many I like very much. I guess I'd go with Limelight, both musically and due to the insight into Neil Peart and his basic aversion to publicity or fame, in a profession that demands it. It's about a tie with side 1 of 2112.

I'd really love to ride with Neil sometime.

Hi Toyman,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but did you know I posted as much as I have in this Rush thread?

What station do you listen to Rush on?

Neil says in interviews Tom Sawyer is the one he has to work the hardest in each show to be correct (or close) in concert. It's always sounded perfect to me

BTW - welcome to the Rush thread! I hope you'll check back often

One of my favs, One Little Victory!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rLEFPFWVoIA

Rock on West Coast (and all Rush) Rockers

MSR

Old 07-06-2014, 06:09 PM

Cool Adding in Morse Code - - How Cool is that?

Quote:

Rush - Tom Sawyer - YouTube

I wouldn't have expected that to be such a hard song, but after really watching Neil play, I can believe it. This vid is from '81...hard to believe how good they were even as "kids". Almost more so, that they can still play at the level they do at their current, "non-kid" ages.

The lines from Red Barchetta...

"Well weathered leather
hot metal and oil
the sun, the country air.
Sunlight on chrome
the blur of the landscape
every nerve aware"

always go running through my head on a good ride. Even though the song is about a car, it still fits motorcycling better than any other song I can think of. Even if adv bikes don't have any chrome or leather (boots/jacket maybe?).

First, sorry Ditch. I didn't read your post which is identical in content to my own.

2. Toyman, will you please write more about Countdown? I'm missing something. Can you post a song?

3. Brutus is a riding pal of Neil's. We've worked on this thread for years. I strongly encourage you to read the wealth of info in earlier pages. We hope you and others will add much more

4. Red Barchetta was written about Neil's uncle's car, a Red Barchetta. Neil likes fast and high performance cars.

Ditch, because I inadvertently skipped your posts, here are a couple for you.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vjDskdgXztU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FcscDeH02fw

MSR

Old 07-06-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Ditch, because I inadvertently skipped your posts, here are a couple for
Thank you for the shout out MSR! I know that you and I are on the same wavelength in regards to answers to Toyman's post. I just happened to get there quicker. With that being said, I hope you are feeling well and in good spirits!

I appreciate your YT posts! Both The Pass and The Garden are incredibly deep songs. I'm a grown man who has faced much adversity in life, and under certain circumstances, one or both of these songs can bring a tear to my eye. Few songs in my vast playlist can do this to me. The only other song that can do this at the current time is Black from Pearl Jam. All are sickeningly powerful!

Every day I wake up I have different needs, and Rush, along with other bands, give me the motivation in life to keep going, and to persevere. Long live great music, and the other things in life that keep us going!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Thank you for the shout out MSR! I know that you and I are on the same wavelength in regards to answers to Toyman's post. I just happened to get there quicker. With that being said, I hope you are feeling well and in good spirits!

I appreciate your YT posts! Both The Pass and The Garden are incredibly deep songs. I'm a grown man who has faced much adversity in life, and under certain circumstances, one or both of these songs can bring a tear to my eye. Few songs in my vast playlist can do this to me. The only other song that can do this at the current time is Black from Pearl Jam. All are sickeningly powerful!

Every day I wake up I have different needs, and Rush, along with other bands, give me the motivation in life to keep going, and to persevere. Long live great music, and the other things in life that keep us going!
Exactly. Considering the lives of these three, I feel they have faced great adversity too. They make sense to me.

I actually think this video is very important in understanding struggles teens face.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uq1M9Y6ZLk

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music