U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:16 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,945,681 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine and fellow drummer in the prog community forwarded me this. Very sad news for music. I've been a Genesis/Phil fan since Wind & Wuthering (1977), and he was/hopefully can still be one of the most innovative/creative drummers out there. I did notice on the 2007 Genesis Tour that he was a bit more hunched over than normal, but he still played his @ss off.

Get well and good luck, Phil, and thanks for almost 40 years of great music/drumming:

Phil Collins may never play drums again - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 09:45 AM

13,367 posts, read 39,430,807 times
Sorry to hear this, and I admire his philosophical attitude.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:56 AM

10,425 posts, read 42,578,567 times
One of the greatest musicians of our time. He can play nearly every instrument with skill as well as sing. As far as I am concerned Genesis is the greatest band ever. That statement coming from a musician myself who knows music theory and the nuts and bolts of putting it all together.

Imagine there was a time when he thought he could not sing and argued with Peter Gabrial claiming he sung so bad that he was not even good enough to sing backup. Gabrial argued back convincing him to do backup vocals. Then of course years later when Gabrial quit he music scene to devote more time to his new born child, Collins had no choice but to tae over the lead vocals. The rest is history.

Yes whoever said above that Wind and Wuthering was the best CD I agree with you.

I would trade my left nut to see Genesis with Peter Gabrial just one more time do one of those 4 hour concerts as they did in the old days. Just one more time before I die.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:07 AM

5,431 posts, read 28,071,890 times
Sorry to hear that...but he does have a great outlook...a door closes, another door opens...who knows what the future will bring for him...

Old 09-13-2009, 01:32 PM

15,813 posts, read 19,459,522 times
You know what, though? Phil can still sing! Still write tunes!

I remember seeing Eric Clapton on tour and Phil signed on as a drummer. He ALWAYS has been one of the best rock drummers going, and done a great job when I saw them at Denver on that date.

I admire his attitude. And I know something about bad backs, trust me! He'll be ok!

Old 09-13-2009, 04:33 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,336,297 times
Bill Bruford just hung up his sticks, and has a book out now. Played drums on Cinema Show on Genesis Seconds Out album.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:17 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,350,899 times
Awww Phil Collins

(love the song)

YouTube - Do you remember Phil Collins

Old 09-13-2009, 07:45 PM

10,425 posts, read 42,578,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Bill Bruford just hung up his sticks, and has a book out now. Played drums on Cinema Show on Genesis Seconds Out album.
I will never ever forget Phil Collins and Chester Thompson doing dueling drums for 25 minutes during any given concert. Most people loved it but those who know how hard it really is to do what they did night after night can appreaciate it even more.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:05 PM

16,248 posts, read 19,920,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
You know what, though? Phil can still sing! Still write tunes!

I remember seeing Eric Clapton on tour and Phil signed on as a drummer. He ALWAYS has been one of the best rock drummers going, and done a great job when I saw them at Denver on that date.

I admire his attitude. And I know something about bad backs, trust me! He'll be ok!
You are right! He can still sing and maybe hire this guy to handle the sticks! 16 cymbals should get the job done!

YouTube - Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

Old 09-13-2009, 10:59 PM

2,102 posts, read 3,712,540 times
Oh no! Genesis is my favorite band. I'm really sad to hear about this, but I admire Phil Collins for his good attitude. Hopefully he'll find a way to continue to do music in a way that works for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or