Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:14 PM

73 posts, read 117,271 times

Advertisements

gets you there on time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 02:37 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,547,988 times
No current group can stand up to any 60s or 70s 0r 80s era music. Why pick Jefferson Airplane? In fact anything current with very very few exceptions could not stand up musicly to my vacum cleaner with dry noisy bearings dragging over an old pizz stained 70s shag carpet.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:38 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,552,350 times
Um, Hot Tuna?

Old 09-24-2009, 03:05 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,078,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
No current group can stand up to any 60s or 70s 0r 80s era music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Why pick Jefferson Airplane? In fact anything current with very very few exceptions could not stand up musicly to my vacum cleaner with dry noisy bearings dragging over an old pizz stained 70s shag carpet.
that's not correct, in fact there are several bands making music today that stand up very well to the music of our youth.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 PM

704 posts, read 1,865,363 times
Interesting you would choose Jefferson Airplane? They weren't even the best band of their city, let alone generation.

And yes there are many bands today that are MUCH better than Jefferson Airplane

Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Interesting you would choose Jefferson Airplane? They weren't even the best band of their city, let alone generation.

And yes there are many bands today that are MUCH better than Jefferson Airplane
I would say name one but I'm afraid of the answer. Grace Slick and Mickey Thomas can pizz all over anything that came out after 1990. Anything. What did come out after 1990 anyway? A bunch of wrap crap and hippity hoppity ball bearing noise.

When Aynsley Dunbar came on board banging the drums and Mickey Thomas with his awesome set of lungs they were great.. Not the greatest band of the 70s and 80s but great.

To everyone: We built this city on rock and roll !!!!!!!!

Blows against the Empire could very well mean death to wrap. Who knows?

Old 09-24-2009, 04:46 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,633,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue125 View Post
gets you there on time
While I respect your opinion and right to love Jefferson Airplane, I must ask a different question. Are there many bands out there today that don't out do Jefferson Airplane? Because I hate to break it to the older crowd, but the musicians of today are so much more talented with their instruments than most any old school star. People always hollering out Hendrix, when there are 15 year old guitarists on YouTube that can outplay the guy. The old music was great for it's time, but almost none of them could compete with the musicians of today. And while I much prefer the content of the songs of old, I can't help but love the skill of today's guitarists, drummers, bassists, etc. There is no competition.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
While I respect your opinion and right to love Jefferson Airplane, I must ask a different question. Are there many bands out there today that don't out do Jefferson Airplane? Because I hate to break it to the older crowd, but the musicians of today are so much more talented with their instruments than most any old school star. People always hollering out Hendrix, when there are 15 year old guitarists on YouTube that can outplay the guy. The old music was great for it's time, but almost none of them could compete with the musicians of today. And while I much prefer the content of the songs of old, I can't help but love the skill of today's guitarists, drummers, bassists, etc. There is no competition.
Oh dont even go there. I know we are not allowed to disagree with a moderator because it is a federal offense but I am because you are wrong. Wrap is crap period !

There are no instruments in todays noise. Some clown talks disgusting lanuage that you would ban anyone for saying while some other clown grabs an old LP and shaking it so it scratches.

If you want to open up this war again you are really in for one. We already gave 2 threads dealing with it. And to date and 10,000 posts later the wrappers and the hippity hoppity ball bearing noise has never won one a single post.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:48 PM

18,170 posts, read 25,715,203 times
Am getting back to the original thread opener.

I believe it was Donovan, in one of his songs from the 60's, that coined the phrase "Fly Jefferson Airplane, always gets you there on time".

For a long time RCA Records had the top rock star going under their guise, his name was Elvis Presley. But as music was slowly evolving and changing, one would be hard pressed to name the next top drawer rock star under contract to RCA, be it individual or band. As the Beatles and the Beach Boys were Capitols big two rock sellers, they were leaving RCA in the dust regarding rock and roll and the 60's. The Rolling Stones were under London Records and rose almost as quickly as the Beatles did.

So much of the other 60's bands were on a wide variety of smaller labels; Tower, Bang, Amy, Dynovoice, Liberty, and many, many, other labels.

As Motown was a new label on the rise with the great groups from that area, and Atco/Atlantic evolving from basically a jazz and pop music label and signing rock groups like the Buffalo Springfield, RCA Records was becoming outdated and out of touch.

The Jefferson Airplane was their vehicle. They didn't become a huge band overnight, but they had potential. Their first lp, "Takes Off" wasn't a big seller when it was released because it did not have a chart top 40 hit, although "It's No Secret' was released as a single. You had to have grown up in that era; better yet purchased their music and listened to music on the radio in general to appreciate how a band makes it. In 1966 there was virtually no fm music that was rock related, at least not in the area I grew up in. The first lp was more in line with folk than rock, but it was STILL good music. Then some personnel changes were made. Vocalist Signe Anderson left the band. Drummer Skip Spence left and joined up with Moby Grape. He was replaced by Spencer Dryden.

But the big move that turned the band around was bringing to the band Grace Slick. IMO she had the most powerful voice of any lady rock and roller I ever heard before (or for that matter since). Their second lp, Surrealistic Pillow is one of the great rock albums of its era, or for that matter any era.

I wish fm radio was as dominate then as now. When I hear that album, there could have been other songs that could have charted as well as "White Rabbit' and "Somebody To Love". That entire album had such great material on it I listen to it today and am just amazed at what I hear 42 years after I bought the album. If only they could promote albums back then. If only.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 PM

73 posts, read 117,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
[b]

that's not correct, in fact there are several bands making music today that stand up very well to the music of our youth.
and they would be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music