Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Bru
You do realize this is a cover, right? (And a very nice one, at that.)
There have been several covers. It was written by Ed Rush and George Cromarty in 1957.
Paul Newman popularized it in 1967's Cool Hand Luke.

We enjoyed the Flaming Lips last weekend.
They began at sundown.
Setlist from Voodoo:

Race for the Prize
Silver Trembling Hands
Yeah Yeah Yeah Song (with a very cool introduction)
Fight Test -sing along
Convinced of the Hex
Vein of Stars
Yoshimi
Pompeii
Taps
The WAND
Do You Realize?
Wow, not sure how I missed this post.

No, I had no idea it was a cover!
Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 06:30 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Just thought I'd add that back in 1999 (wow, ten years really?), I saw the Flaming Lips give one of the best-sounding shows ever. It was the First Annual Music Against Brain Degeneration Revue and it was a Headphone Concert. They passed out little receivers into which you could plug your own headphones if you brought em. You had the bass and impact of the PA system and the clarity and stereo separation of the headphones, and it was magical.

Robyn Hitchcock and Sebadoh were also there.

Favorite Lips song: The Spark That Bled.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:56 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Just thought I'd add that back in 1999 (wow, ten years really?), I saw the Flaming Lips give one of the best-sounding shows ever. It was the First Annual Music Against Brain Degeneration Revue and it was a Headphone Concert. They passed out little receivers into which you could plug your own headphones if you brought em. You had the bass and impact of the PA system and the clarity and stereo separation of the headphones, and it was magical.

Robyn Hitchcock and Sebadoh were also there.

Favorite Lips song: The Spark That Bled.
I saw them around the same time. Not a headphone show, but IIRC it was at Slim's in SF. Would the staging have been the same? They had a brilliant film loop of Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz murmuring, "Oh...!" over and over and over, in the background. Eventually, Wayne led the audience in a rendition of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". If I go to a personal heaven when I die, the Flaming Lips will be the house band.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:05 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Isnt Do You Realize an Official song of Oklahoma?

Old 11-25-2009, 01:05 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Wow, not sure how I missed this post.

No, I had no idea it was a cover!
Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Check out the Kinky Friedman version

Old 11-25-2009, 01:08 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I saw them around the same time. Not a headphone show, but IIRC it was at Slim's in SF. Would the staging have been the same? They had a brilliant film loop of Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz murmuring, "Oh...!" over and over and over, in the background. Eventually, Wayne led the audience in a rendition of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". If I go to a personal heaven when I die, the Flaming Lips will be the house band.
The Wizard of Oz bit might have been shown, but I don't remember the audience participation. This was a couple of months after The Soft Bulletin came out. During The Spark That Bled, Wayne had a large amount of fake blood dripping down his face from his forehead. The MABDR tour didn't last a real long time and I think they toured on The Soft Bulletin separately from it too.

I think my favorite song of the show as I recall was Superhumans though, just a triumphant live performance!

Old 11-25-2009, 01:19 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Am enjoying these concert descriptions, y'all.

I love how creative they are, and that they get to do what they want!

I am not at all a super-knowledgeable Flaming Lips fan, but I sure do like what I have seen and heard.
The soaring vocals, the humor and the eccentricity.
I admire their risk-taking and their determination--and their sense of theater.

How could anyone *not* like "Do You Realize"?

Old 11-27-2009, 02:53 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times
^^^
Exactly:
Beck covers 'Do You Realize'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ODTA...eature=related

5 minute mark for those impatient souls out there...

Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
The Wizard of Oz bit might have been shown, but I don't remember the audience participation. This was a couple of months after The Soft Bulletin came out. During The Spark That Bled, Wayne had a large amount of fake blood dripping down his face from his forehead. The MABDR tour didn't last a real long time and I think they toured on The Soft Bulletin separately from it too.

I think my favorite song of the show as I recall was Superhumans though, just a triumphant live performance!
Yeah, I linked "SuperHumans" in an above post. The lyrics are total nonsense but you just get it, y'know? And it's heartwrenching. It's funny when a song can do that, and remind you of a Groovy Ghoulies cartoon at the same time.

As for "Do You Realize?"--"Do you realize/that the sun never goes down/It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning around..." My eyes are wetting now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music