Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 08:56 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times

Advertisements

I don't particularly care for much of the music that tops the US charts, but I still think it's interesting to see what makes it towards the top.

Here is a video of the top 50 songs this week in the US:

Here is a link to the youtuber who makes these videos:
YouTube - BillboardGoddess's Channel

Old 10-24-2009, 08:59 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
Bonus, here's the top 40 songs in the UK this past week

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/UKsinglesChart

Old 10-25-2009, 11:55 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Thanks for reminding me how much mainstream music sucks.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:23 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,820,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Thanks for reminding me how much mainstream music sucks.
When you say 'mainstream' don't forget that tons of great musicians like The Beatles, Bod Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Pink Floyd etc. etc. etc. are actually mainstream too.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post
When you say 'mainstream' don't forget that tons of great musicians like The Beatles, Bod Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Pink Floyd etc. etc. etc. are actually mainstream too.
Sorry, I should have been more clear with what I meant. When I said "mainstream," I was referring to the music that's currently charting on the Billboard singles charts. The songs in those videos posted by the original poster made me want to puke.

All the artists you listed are awesome, and there was a time period when good musical artists like those were ruling the charts.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:

I have heard these type of comments all my life. "Everything in the past was better" and then there's another group of people that won't listen to anything that is not label "alternative" and these are usually very "open minded" people.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I was referring to the music that's currently charting on the Billboard singles charts.
Well, I must admit some modern chart hits are great too. (Though they don't have a complex and sophisticated structure so they do look primitive.)
I'd say music evolves so it's naturally that bands playing refined music like Led Zep or Pink Floyd could not have their songs charted now. Besides, they won't be able to make good sales these days either as opposed to the 70s. In fact this phase of music evotution could be called degenerative and I see it as the part of all European culture degradation. The traditional European values are dying and some new values of other cultures gradually take their place over.

Last edited by FlashM; 10-26-2009 at 05:47 AM..

Old 10-26-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
"Everything in the past was better"
If a man or woman says this that usually just means, "I'm old enough to appreciate anything new"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post

there's another group of people that won't listen to anything that is not label "alternative"
I don't get this kind of people As for me I definitely see that most talented musicians are mainstream. It's very easy to call yourself alternative wondering why so few people dig your music. Even I could say that I'm the great alternative musician. You don't believe? Well, you should have listented to my alternatively awesome bathroom singing Lol

Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Well, I must admit some modern chart hits are great too. (Though they don't have a complex and sophisticated structure so they do look primitive.)
I'd say music evolves so it's naturally that bands playing refined music like Led Zep or Pink Floyd could not have their songs charted now. Besides, they won't be able to make good sales these days either as opposed to the 70s. In fact this phase of music evotution could be called degenerative and I see it as the part of all European culture degradation. The traditional European values are dying and some new values of other cultures gradually take their place over.
My parents grew up in the late 60's/early 70's. They lived in a time when rock music was not only adventurous and musically interesting, but also played a significant role in social change.

I look at my current generation's music (I'm 28, FYI) and shake my head in shame. If future generations look back at this time period and consider Lady Gaga the best representation of what's going on musically in the 2000's (not sure what you call this decade), then our musical culture really has devolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music