Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:42 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

I am white and was listening to a Ray Parker Jr collection at the office. If a black co-worker heard what i was listening to would they think "he's listening to 'black music'" or is RPJ just considered mainstream AM MOR with just a touch of soul? In other words, is RPJ considered as culturally and spiritually black as Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Sly Stone?

Same for say Peaches and Herb's "Reunited" and "I Pledge My Love", are they as culturally black as Sly Stone, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 10:54 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,546,928 times
I bet it would depend on what age they were... if young then nope cause Sly music isn't hung up
as black music to us... whats spiritually black by the way since there then gotta be a spiritually white too...
never heard either term before.

only cultural black music I ever heard of was HipHop & Gospel but again maybe its generational...
I know I didn't help none because you're prolly talkin about an older crowd's views...

Jim

Old 03-27-2010, 11:07 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default Ok

to give an example I am 48, white, and was listening to RPJ's "Let Me Go" which sounds a lot like like "If You Don't Know Me By Now" .

A black co-worker, 30, stopped in to drop something off and it looked as if she wanted to ask me "who's that?" because she made a face(looked as if she wondered who the artist was) while the song was playing.

She herself has a large black CD collection but not of artists like P&H or RPJ, but of more current artists

Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I am white and was listening to a Ray Parker Jr collection at the office. If a black co-worker heard what i was listening to would they think "he's listening to 'black music'" or is RPJ just considered mainstream AM MOR with just a touch of soul? In other words, is RPJ considered as culturally and spiritually black as Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Sly Stone?

Same for say Peaches and Herb's "Reunited" and "I Pledge My Love", are they as culturally black as Sly Stone, etc?
There is not a "spiritually black". If you're born black , you are black. There is no stereotypical formula to blackness. We are not monolithic...neither are white folk.

Now....if you wanna talk about the music he plays, Ray runs the spectrum. He started with Raydio (his group) in the late '70s. They were heavy R&B with some Funk tunes like "Hot Stuff" and "For Those that Like to Groove".

When Ray left Raydio and went solo, he went for the cross-over appeal and scored big with "The Other Woman". Some of his music started to reflect a POP sensibilty. "Ghost busters" is a testament to that. Ray has also shown himself to be a very good jazz guitarist. He's laid down some serious instrumentals over the years.

So....if people see you listening to RPJ (if they are knowledgable) they will simply ask...."what album?"

Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSilver View Post
I bet it would depend on what age they were... if young then nope cause Sly music isn't hung up
as black music to us... whats spiritually black by the way since there then gotta be a spiritually white too...
never heard either term before.

only cultural black music I ever heard of was HipHop & Gospel but again maybe its generational...
I know I didn't help none because you're prolly talkin about an older crowd's views...

Jim
Hip Hop and Gospel??? That's all? How old are you?

Bruh.....What about the Blues?? Jazz??? Rag Time??? Even Rock & Roll had it's start with black music.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:34 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,137 times
Music has no color.

As far as the 'what would my black co worker call the music I listen to?' question...I, personally, have no idea.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:42 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,105,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Hip Hop and Gospel??? That's all? How old are you?

Bruh.....What about the Blues?? Jazz??? Rag Time??? Even Rock & Roll had it's start with black music.
He's a teen ager ... so for their generation.. LOL

for them unless they are exposed to it through their parents or us .. unfortunately they dont have those genre's available to them ...

so for us older ones... there is the joy of exposing the young teens to these varieties of music ::soft laughter:::

i truly think he meant what is prevelant in their world today ...

rare

Old 03-27-2010, 11:46 PM

Yeah, cuz gospel is VERY prevalent in the youth culture today.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:50 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,105,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Yeah, cuz gospel is VERY prevalent in the youth culture today.
for the young people ... it is .... i think Hillsong has something to do with exposing Gospel... though it is not black... but it exposes kids to modern day gospel ... and there are times when they have black gospel singers as well in youth movies... and many schools have Gospel Choirs and they study their roots and influences... this is public schools i am talking about so such knowledge would be readily available to their world...

he is just telling us his reality and we shouldn't be antagonistic, sarcastic or cynical about teen agers sharing their experience.

rare

Old 03-28-2010, 12:08 AM

Gospel is a prevalent part of young people's lives today?....um, okay whatever you say.

P.S.
Sorry if my posts come off as cynical or angry or whatever...I take everything online as a joke and am smiling when I post sarcastic or 'edgy' comments ....that doesn't always translate well online...and I forget how serious some people can take things or how defensive some people are.

Not you ...just saying...in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music