Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 09:14 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,928,690 times

Advertisements

White Lightning - George Jones

george jones white lightning - YouTube

Drivin' Nails In My Coffin - Ernest Tubb

ERNEST TUBB-DRIVING NAILS IN MY COFFIN.wmv - YouTube

We All Go Crazy - Jack Reno

The Life and Work of Ramblin' Jack Reno ~ We All Go Crazy - YouTube

Lying In Love With You - Jim Ed Brown / Helen Cornelius

Lying In Love With You-Jim Ed Brown and Helen Cornelius - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 04:00 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,555,749 times
Simple Man ---- Charlie Daniels Band

Charlie Daniels Band - Simple Man - YouTube

Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,324,147 times

TAKE THESE CHAINS FROM MY HEART by Hank Williams 1952 - YouTube

Old 02-19-2012, 02:02 PM

Default Sunday Country Gold

Mexican Joe - Jim Reeves

Mexican Joe - Jim Reeves - YouTube

There Ain't Nothing Wrong - Just Ain't Nothing Right - Vern Gosdin

Vern Gosdin - There Ain't Nothing Wrong (Just Ain't Nothing Right) - YouTube

Flowers On The Wall - Statler Brothers

The Statler Brothers - Flowers On The Wall (Columbia - 1966) - YouTube

Sweet Country Woman - Johnny Duncan

Johnny Duncan "Sweet Country Woman" - YouTube

Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,865,188 times
Hank Sr

Howlin' at the Moon - Hank Williams Sr. - YouTube

Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM

Default Monday Country Gold

Why Don't You Haul Off And Love Me? - Wayne Raney

Why Don't You Haul Off And Love Me---Wayne Raney - YouTube

Love Takes Care Of Me - Charlie Louvin

Charlie Louvin "Love Takes Care Of Me" - YouTube

Say You'll Stay Until Tomorrow - Tom Jones

TOM JONES:SAY YOU'LL STAY UNTIL TOMORROW - YouTube

Things Aren't Funny Anymore - Merle Haggard

Things Aren't Funny Anymore---Merle Haggard - YouTube

Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,536 times
I appreciate Case44's posting of the above Wayne Raney song. In his earlier days, Raney performed with the Delmore Brothers. In the 1950's he was a night DJ on Cincinnati's 50,000-watt WCKY where he played traditional Country records and gave a lot of air play to such bluegrass bands as the Stanley Brothers and Reno & Smiley. I was a regular listener. Raney refused to play any music that was considered Progressive. This included nearly everything by Elvis and virtually all the "Nashville Sound" recordings that were being produced by Owen Bradley, Chet Atkins and others. Therefore, some of Country's biggest stars like Don Gibson, Jim Reeves, the Everly Brothers, Brenda Lee, Marty Robbins, etc. were seldom heard on Raney's program because many of their recordings had background voices or strings, or because the percussion was too loud. Raney believed that traditional Country was on the way out and fancied himself one of the very last crusaders who were valiantly fighting to save real Country music. I hope he later realized that the Nashville Sound probably saved Country by greatly enlarging its audience and enabling it to survive the onslaught of British Rock that soon took the country by storm. Anyway, Raney's show was abruptly cancelled when WCKY became the Cincinnati Reds flagship station. More than 50 years later I am still a big Wayne Raney fan.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 PM

Default More On Wayne Raney

This guy actually mixed in some boogie along with his traditional country selections. More discussion below.

Lost John Boogie - Wayne Raney

Wayne Raney | Lost John Boogie - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I appreciate Case44's posting of the above Wayne Raney song. In his earlier days, Raney performed with the Delmore Brothers. In the 1950's he was a night DJ on Cincinnati's 50,000-watt WCKY where he played traditional Country records and gave a lot of air play to such bluegrass bands as the Stanley Brothers and Reno & Smiley. I was a regular listener. Raney refused to play any music that was considered Progressive. This included nearly everything by Elvis and virtually all the "Nashville Sound" recordings that were being produced by Owen Bradley, Chet Atkins and others. Therefore, some of Country's biggest stars like Don Gibson, Jim Reeves, the Everly Brothers, Brenda Lee, Marty Robbins, etc. were seldom heard on Raney's program because many of their recordings had background voices or strings, or because the percussion was too loud. Raney believed that traditional Country was on the way out and fancied himself one of the very last crusaders who were valiantly fighting to save real Country music. I hope he later realized that the Nashville Sound probably saved Country by greatly enlarging its audience and enabling it to survive the onslaught of British Rock that soon took the country by storm. Anyway, Raney's show was abruptly cancelled when WCKY became the Cincinnati Reds flagship station. More than 50 years later I am still a big Wayne Raney fan.
Raney held up his end of the deal quite nicely, but over time, maybe he could have been a little more accepting of the growth and change in country music. Thanks for the good word, RR. Raney was quite a trooper with what he stood for, but I think he would have mildly appreciated truckers' music more than the Nashville Sound or countrypolitan. We'll never really know, but I'm just speculating. Had it been around during Raney's show's heyday, it might have garnered some decent time on his program; more so, anyway, than the others we've mentioned. If he could infuse the boogie style, then he could digest the trucking music style and all that that employed.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM

Default Tuesday Country Gold

Who Will Buy The Wine? - Charlie Walker

Charlie Walker - Who Will Buy The Wine - YouTube

Almost Persuaded - David Houston

David Houston Almost Persuaded - YouTube

Sure Fire Kisses - Justin Tubb / Goldie Hill

Justin Tubb O Goldie Hill-Sure Fire Kisses - YouTube

What Are We Doin' Lonesome? - Larry Gatlin / Gatlin Brothers

Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers "What Are We Doin' Lonesome" - YouTube

Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,006,712 times

Eddy Raven - I'm Gonna Get You - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music