Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 09:42 PM

838 posts, read 979,685 times

Advertisements

Although I regularly post in some of the other forums here on city-data.com (mostly the political forums) and although I am an enormous music fan I have never posted here in the music forum. I do post in the music forums over on metacritic.com but have avoided this forum because it seems like it is more focused on older music or Top 40 pop. However, since the year is coming to a close I thought I'd try getting a thread started about the best albums of 2009; regardless of your favorite genres this should be a topic everyone can post about. So how about it? Everyone should post their top 20 favorite albums of 2009!

Here's mine, in order:

1. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
2. The xx - xx
3. Ramona Falls - Intuit
4. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
5. Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer
6. The Felice Brothers - Yonder is the Clock
7. Washed Ouy - Life of Leisure [EP]
8. Andrew Bird - Noble Beast
9. Amadou & Mariam - Welcome to Mali
10. Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
11. Why? - Eskimo Snow
12. Super Furry Animals - Dark Days/Light Years
13. Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue
14. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
15. Modest Mouse - No Ones First and You're Next [EP]
16. White Rabbits - It's Frightening
17. St. Vincent - Actor
18. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
19. jj - jj No2
20. Bowerbirds - Upper Air

Last edited by Ever Adrift; 12-20-2009 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 PM

408 posts, read 722,022 times
i'm gonna check out what you've posted because I've been so uninterested in current music that I haven't even actively checked for anyone this year, which would be the first year ever that I've done that.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
i'm gonna check out what you've posted because I've been so uninterested in current music that I haven't even actively checked for anyone this year, which would be the first year ever that I've done that.
Always glad to help people find new and interesting music! Just keep in mind that my tastes are quite eclectic so if you hate something on my list that shouldn't imply that you won't like anything else. The first two albums on the list are a good indication of this as they are complete, polar opposites. Merriweather Post Pavilion is a delirious, manic psychedelic kaleidoscope of sound while xx is a restrained, mellow and deliciously seductive album with a male/female duo for lead singers (the two complement each other incredibly well and they're only 20 years old, very hard to believe after hearing them).

Old 12-26-2009, 04:57 PM

Bump!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:21 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,079,663 times
These are the only 8 I have discovered so far, parts of all 8 are on my MP3 player right now.

1) Andrew Hoover-Chances, Stances and Romances
2) Coconut Records-Davy
3) Daughtry- Leave this town
4) The Derek Trucks band-Already Free
5) Joe bonamassa- the Ballad of John Henry
6) Needtobreathe-the Outsiders
7) I and Love and You-the Avett Brothers
8) Straight no Chaser- 6 Pack (EP)

Old 12-27-2009, 07:07 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,922,766 times
I've tried to get into Animal Collective, but with a few exceptions the attraction eludes me.
I live in this reality of being a 55 year old who still enjoys new music,even some of the Pitchforkian tastemaker selections, but there is no getting around the fact that:
1) many of my sensibilities remain in 1972.
2) I just can't keep up with all of the new stuff. Yes, I've heard a song or two from Silversun Pickups or Grizzly Bear, but not enough to judge an entire album. I haven't heard any of the most recent Yeah Yeah Yeahs album.

Some of my faves from 2009, music I own:

Already Free ~~ Derek Trucks

Rise Up~~ MarchFourth Marching Band

I and Love and You~~ Avett Brothers

Orange Blossoms~~MOFRO

21st Century Breakdown ~~ Green Day

I really enjoyed the first half of the Dead Weather's Horehound, especially Hang You From the Heavens, but for me the second half was kind of a bust.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:23 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,436,160 times
Wow, other than the Green Day one, I have not heard of any of those listed.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:26 PM

416 posts, read 628,722 times
I've only bought/listened to five albums from this year:

1. Wolf mother - Cosmic Egg
2. Zee Avi - Zee Avi
3. Mason Jennings - Blood of Man
4. Doves - Kingdom of Rust
5. Franz Ferdinand - Tonight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music