Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:28 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times

Advertisements

Well, POP music ended for me about 7 years ago. I hadn't been happy with it since the late-90's. R & B was changing, didn't always like the sounds. Rap, I never got used to (although I like a little bit). Some folksy sounds (usually female balladeers) didn't do it for me, and I hated how Brittany Spears made little-girl singing styles popular.

I was sitting at the mirror one morning getting ready for work when the music hit me like a torture. I switched it off for good. (Instead, I listen to a local talk show while getting ready.)

It wasn't just the music, though, but the moron d.j.'s running the radio station. It was all too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
If the technology were available in 1979 someone who turned 30 in 1938 would have posted the same thing about music from the 60's & 70's. Everyone has their threshold.
Actually, the same thing was asked about the 50's. Music took a turn, from the big band era, when musicians took their talents and performances and compositions seriously, to the R&R era. As much as I love the music of the 50s, it just was terrible music, horribly jangling to the trained musical ear, but catchy as hell. It was to music what the beatniks were to poetry.

The 90s, it seems to me, to have been the same kind of turnabout, when the classical components of music (melody, rhythm, tone and color) which had made a comeback, were thrown by the wayside and replaced by forms of noise.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Actually, the same thing was asked about the 50's. Music took a turn, from the big band era, when musicians took their talents and performances and compositions seriously, to the R&R era. As much as I love the music of the 50s, it just was terrible music, horribly jangling to the trained musical ear, but catchy as hell. It was to music what the beatniks were to poetry.

The 90s, it seems to me, to have been the same kind of turnabout, when the classical components of music (melody, rhythm, tone and color) which had made a comeback, were thrown by the wayside and replaced by forms of noise.
Not just any noise Jtur.....rhyming noise that talks about violence, rape and murder. Some call this art. I guess good art comes in many different forms.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:12 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Well, POP music ended for me about 7 years ago. I hadn't been happy with it since the late-90's. R & B was changing, didn't always like the sounds. Rap, I never got used to (although I like a little bit). Some folksy sounds (usually female balladeers) didn't do it for me, and I hated how Brittany Spears made little-girl singing styles popular.

I was sitting at the mirror one morning getting ready for work when the music hit me like a torture. I switched it off for good. (Instead, I listen to a local talk show while getting ready.)

It wasn't just the music, though, but the moron d.j.'s running the radio station. It was all too much.

LOL! I don't really listen to much music on the radio anymore either. There is a morning show I like on a rock station, but I change to NPR when they play a song.

There are some good music radio shows on NPR sometimes too, American Roots, and some Texas, jazz and world music shows that can be interesting. We also have a good college radio station, but the music played depends on the taste of the specific dj. They do have a couple good very heavy metal shows on there once a week I like.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:44 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,098,682 times
I thought rock music went to hell when the grunge explosion happened in late 1991-early 1992 but the pop music died when the Backstreet Boys and the other boy bands became huge, I thought the last good era of pop music was up to the mid 1990s, I definitely agree that the eighties was the last great decade of music

Old 01-03-2010, 11:23 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Actually, the same thing was asked about the 50's. Music took a turn, from the big band era, when musicians took their talents and performances and compositions seriously, to the R&R era. As much as I love the music of the 50s, it just was terrible music, horribly jangling to the trained musical ear, but catchy as hell. It was to music what the beatniks were to poetry.....
I would have to disagree. I grew up in the Fifites and big band music was dead as a doornail as far as the pop market went. The post WW II era saw the rapid decline of big bands as costs escalated and audiences shrunk.

Pop music, "the Hit Parade" was an unending string of saccharine ballads (think Mona Lisa and Tennessee Waltz) and a few noisome upbeat novelty tunes. It came to seem what it was: an endless stream of cloying confections; thus, rhythm and blues was able to come out of the urban black neighborhoods like a rabbit out of a hat....for adolescents, at least. And however raucous Fifties R&B/R&R may have been, it was undeniably people making music with real voices and instruments - and this is not what is the case now where mediocre voices and musicians are routinely technologically enhanced and camouflaged, and where their videos and stage productions are as important as their audio.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
For me mainstream music began to "lose life" around 2003 when "Crunk" and "Emo" became popular but there was plenty else to keep me glued. Then around '06 Rihanna, Chris Brown, Gwen Stefani, T-Pain, etc came around and began to die a little more. Now in 2010 there's almost nothing left to keep me interested in pop music today, for goodness sake the biggest pop star right now is some 15 year old kid that was discovered off youtube and recently caused a riot at a mall amongst teenage girls and their parents, and he'll be forgotten about in a year so that the new craze can come in and repeat the same cycle again, and that's more than enough reason to enjoy my iPod

FWIW, I'm a child of the 90's and despite what some of you think, with the exception of a few artists and songs, I consider it the best decade of music ever.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Not just any noise Jtur.....rhyming noise that talks about violence, rape and murder. Some call this art. I guess good art comes in many different forms.
At least you're predictable. Same gross overgeneralizations, different day.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times

Seventies music was my favorite. Eighties, second favorite. I just listen to oldies stations or mix cds and mp3s.

But I will say that having the ability to email songs, share songs or search the internet for music I like has been a huge benefit.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:34 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times
Pity Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music