Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times

Advertisements

Not sure how classical-music friendly this board is---Anyone ever wonder why a world of nearly 7 billion people does not or cannot produce one genuine classical musical genius composer? Philip Glass writes some nice stuff but he's about as good as it gets nowadays and I wouldn't place him anywhere near Rachmaninoff, who was considered a second-tier composer. Anyone have any ideas why? It happened just as technology was exploding at the turn of the century----the 20th century, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Well people aren't so likely to die of infectious disease or civil wars in the Western world. Maybe that makes for a bit less dramatic inspiration and fear. Although in parts of Africa and South Asia people may still die of those things, but it's possible their forms of "classical music" would be less appealing to Western ears.

If you just mean music prodigies Tori Amos, Samuel Butler, Herbie Hancock, and Alison Krauss were all prodigies at some instrument or other.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 01-01-2010 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: moving it away from popular a bit

Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,332 times
I think Danny Elfman's work is every bit as complex, thrilling and moving.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:31 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I think Danny Elfman's work is every bit as complex, thrilling and moving.
As complex, thrilling and moving as Beethoven's Ninth Symphony or Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake? Interesting.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:16 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,663,665 times
Very interesting that you mention Technology! Many of the musical abilities that were considered not only common place with 19th century composers (and before), were also prerequisites. Sight Singing, Dictation, Hand Copying music, part writing, Harmonization, and orchestration are all taught in Music schools today. Computer Programs can approximate all these skills and many Grammy winning song writers can't do them anyway. Composers like Mozart, and Beethoven had to practically be blessed with minds like Einstein just to be a musician.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:56 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
As complex, thrilling and moving as Beethoven's Ninth Symphony or Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake? Interesting.
Yes, and actually MORE enjoyable to boot.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,313,708 times
I think the environment in earlier centuries was more suited to showcasing composers. We have to remember that it was the popular music of its day, there was a greater incentive then to channel musical genius into that style of music. It brought the money and fame that is now sought in other genres of music.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:06 PM

381 posts, read 842,118 times
I would say technology. Skills that where honed in the classical era are almost non existent today. I bet that most top 40 "artists" can't read music. And the popularity of classical music is low. It's sad because there is SO much talent and patience that classical music demands. Technology speeds up the process and diminished the essence no matter how "cool" it is.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
There are still children learning the piano at a young age, like Mozart did. Even in their own time, how many "musical geniuses" were there?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:59 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,463,730 times
Its humurous that a few posters listed top 40 musical artists in comparison to Mozart and Beethoven. Mozart and Beethoven were childhood musical genious ! Pop culture artists hardly compare in talent. To think otherwise is a dishonor to great composers. Not all musicians are composers, not all composers are musicians. Regardless of what genre music you prefer, there are no artists that compare. Many Pop artists dont even write their own stuff, many country artists dont write. I am a musician, I have played guitar for 30 years now. There are many guitarists today that use classical composition in their music, you may not like the style of music it is represented in, but some of the "shred" guitarists are 100 % classically trained and it can be heard in their playing. Even as gifted as these guitarists are none of them even come close to the great composers. Just my 2 cents, but if any artists today composed like Mozart and Beethoven perhaps all the symphonies around the world would move on and stop recreating their work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music