Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,311 times

Advertisements

So I'm in the process of transferring all my classic rock from vinyl to CDs. I started at Z (ZZ Top) and worked alphabetically back to J (Jackson Brown). Then I decided it would take too long to get to the Beatles that way, so I started with the A's. Now I'm working on the Beatles and I can't believe I didn't start with them! I did Introducing the Beatles, then Meet the Beatles and I've got 2 more early albums. I've also got a very early double album which is mostly interviews with some music clips thrown in. Then I'll do Seargent Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, and the White album. I've already got some of the other stuff on CD so I'm not really missing much. Damn they made some great music!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,358 times
I've done a lot of transferring of my vinyl to LP's. One thing I really like about it is that it forces you to listen to the whole album because you have to pay attention in order to separate tracks. I had most of the Beatles stuff on CD anyway but not all of them. I'll be converting the few I didn't have shortly. Right now, my favorite albums of theirs is A Hard Day's Night.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 AM

319 posts, read 634,391 times
I just got a USB turntable for Christmas (it should be delivered today actually) and I'm going to start my 4+ year project of downloading everything I own. I'm excited, but at the same time it's daunting as all get out. I'm an anal retentive alphabetical order guy too, so my first project will be ABBA's "Voluez Vous". I love that cut "Does Your Mother Know". It's the best glam rock song not done by a glam rock band.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
If I understand you correctly, you are transferring from vinyl to CD but isn't the vinyl such poor quality? That's not going to be the best sounding CD.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
If I understand you correctly, you are transferring from vinyl to CD but isn't the vinyl such poor quality? That's not going to be the best sounding CD.
Some of the software lets you edit the sound. We have over 500 records - there is no way I'm rebuying the CD's not to mention that we have tons of early blues records that have never made it to CD. I don't find the vinyl to be poor quality at all - some of my albums are a little more used than others, but mostly they all still sound pretty good!

Rtom45 - what are you using to transfer? We're using an Ion and Audacity, but if there's an easier way I want to know!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:32 AM

319 posts, read 634,391 times
How is the Audacity program? I don't think that's the program my turntable comes with, but I'm thinking of downloading it as I've heard it's pretty easy to use.

As long as the vinyl is it pretty good shape, I don't think the transfer from vinyl to CD would make a world of difference vs what you would hear if you were to get a digital download of any of that old stuff. Audiophiles, help me out hear, but I always thought that since a lot of the old stuff was recorded on analog, when it was transferred from the analog masters to CD, that the sound was more compressed then it was when it was transferred from the masters to vinyl. Therefore, transferring from vinyl to CD, would pretty much give you the same quality as buying a CD that was transferred from the master analog tape. Am I way off on that?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 AM

If you're going to use Audacity - download the users manual. To me, it's not very intuitive but it's not difficult - you just have to figure out the different parts. For example, It took us awhile to figure out how to use the feature to separate it into tracks but once you learn it, it's easy.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,311 times
moonlady:
I have a Sony turntable that was a gift from my wife last Christmas (2008), at my suggestion. It came with sound forge studio audio. The software took some figuring out, along with the changes in some computer settings. The restoration feature does a great job of removing crackles and pops. I have yet to get involved in editing out skips, but all the music is also saved to my hard drive so I can eventually retrieve it and makes those edits. I save the music at the highest bit rate the software allows and the CDs sound great to me. I've transferred about 100 albums so far. It takes just over 1 hour real time to transfer a typical album.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
moonlady:
I have a Sony turntable that was a gift from my wife last Christmas (2008), at my suggestion. It came with sound forge studio audio. The software took some figuring out, along with the changes in some computer settings. The restoration feature does a great job of removing crackles and pops. I have yet to get involved in editing out skips, but all the music is also saved to my hard drive so I can eventually retrieve it and makes those edits. I save the music at the highest bit rate the software allows and the CDs sound great to me. I've transferred about 100 albums so far. It takes just over 1 hour real time to transfer a typical album.
Thanks - I want to explore other options to see if they are any better than what we are doing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music