Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:25 PM

479 posts, read 1,442,483 times

Advertisements

All these new artists with their electro-pop/synthesizer sound, like Lady GaGa, Ke$ha, Cobra Starship, Owl City, Muse, The Killers, the Latest stuff from the Black Eye Peas, sounds more like 80's music style than what was coming out in the 90's or early 2000's stuff. Even the retro fashion and style going on! What do you think? Do you think this new decade will be much more like the 80's?? Since more people seem to be getting away from the grunge/depressing type of rock and a lot of that Gangsta Rap/Hip Hop music (big in the 90's and the last decade). I hope we get another English Invasion of Dance-Pop/New Wave Rock type of stuff like we did in the 80's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 04:34 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
The 80's nostalgia thing has already been going on since at least the mid-00's with new-wave-infuenced bands like The Killers, Interpol, Keane all having major hits and Hollywood pilfering the 80's pop culture for movie remakes (Friday the 13th, Transformers, etc.).

Old 01-07-2010, 04:36 PM

298 posts, read 998,343 times
I loved the 80's so I hope it makes a comeback.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times
The 80's comeback thing started around 2002 or so... it has been going on for quite awhile. So, I'm pretty sure we are in the last stages of that. I GUARENTEE there is going to be a 90's fashion (already begun) and music revival in the next few years. Even Soundgarden got back together last week, so it's coming....

Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
The 80's comeback thing started around 2002 or so... it has been going on for quite awhile. So, I'm pretty sure we are in the last stages of that. I GUARENTEE there is going to be a 90's fashion (already begun) and music revival in the next few years. Even Soundgarden got back together last week, so it's coming....
Alice in Chains just released an amazing comeback album, people are saying that Pearl Jam's latest album is their best in years, and now Soundgarden is reunited. What's next - Nirvana reformed with Dave Grohl on vocals (that would actually be pretty cool to see)? Yes, 90's nostalgia is on its way.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:03 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Of course it is.
I have already predicted a comeback.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:34 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
All these new artists with their electro-pop/synthesizer sound, like Lady GaGa, Ke$ha, Cobra Starship, Owl City, Muse, The Killers, the Latest stuff from the Black Eye Peas, sounds more like 80's music style than what was coming out in the 90's or early 2000's stuff. Even the retro fashion and style going on! What do you think? Do you think this new decade will be much more like the 80's?? Since more people seem to be getting away from the grunge/depressing type of rock and a lot of that Gangsta Rap/Hip Hop music (big in the 90's and the last decade). I hope we get another English Invasion of Dance-Pop/New Wave Rock type of stuff like we did in the 80's!
An 80s "nostalgia" comeback has already came and left, but could always come again I suppose. I don't think that's what you're seeing now though.

Every generation/style of music later becomes "building blocks" for future bands to use as they see fit, taking some from this one, some from that one to try to create their own style. 80s new wave is no exception.

Also, in the history of rock, focus has always swung back and forth between guitar and piano/keyboards. It has been keys (or at least not guitar) for a while now, I believe we are actually slowly moving back into a period of guitar oriented rock, the next few years will tell

Old 01-08-2010, 08:27 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
An 80s "nostalgia" comeback has already came and left, but could always come again I suppose. I don't think that's what you're seeing now though.

Every generation/style of music later becomes "building blocks" for future bands to use as they see fit, taking some from this one, some from that one to try to create their own style. 80s new wave is no exception.
Exactly. Several things in the 1960s showed influences from the 1920s and early 1930s. The Mamas and the Papas in particular did songs that had a bit of a vaudeville or "Tin Pan Alley" influence with "Dream a Little Dream of Me" actually being from 1931. Dylan and Joplin did some old blues songs from that era. The 1960s even had The Village Stompers with a surprise hit doing Dixieland.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
well I hope the rock and metal comes back I mean now they don't even have guitar solos we need a modren eddie van halen to shred it up

Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Alice in Chains just released an amazing comeback album, people are saying that Pearl Jam's latest album is their best in years, and now Soundgarden is reunited. What's next - Nirvana reformed with Dave Grohl on vocals (that would actually be pretty cool to see)? Yes, 90's nostalgia is on its way.
wow hard to belive the 90's are on their way back in maybe rage against the machine will come back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music