Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I believe rock 'n' roll music...
Is the Devil's tool for the subversion of our youths. 3 3.03%
Is mostly trash, but some of it is fun and listenable. 8 8.08%
Has mostly sucked since the British Invasion. 0 0%
Has mostly sucked since the demise of Led Zeppelin. 5 5.05%
Has mostly sucked since the advent of Grunge (1991). 22 22.22%
Will live forever. Rock on, Dudes! 52 52.53%
Is my religion! It expresses the very essence of my being!!! 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:57 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,412 times

Advertisements

I voted, Is the Devil's tool for subversion of our youth.

And I firmly hope that it stays that way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 02:27 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,754 times
I enjoy the rock 'n roll of the 1950's...Carl Perkins, Elvis, Wanda Jackson, Jerry Lee Lewis, Janis Martin, Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly--Good old-fashioned Rockabilly music I love the guitar styles back then. I want a Gretsch guitar!!!! And, a pink Cadillac!!!

The music of my youth is more Sex Pistols, Ramones, The Clash, and other punk rock in the 1980's to the present.

However, I traced my music back to the early rock 'n roll days and then, traced the 1950's rock back to the Delta blues (Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, etc.) and traced that back to African-American church music...

Kinda wild, huh?

Sociologically, the 1950's was the first official American "youth culture." It was the first time that teens and adolescents were seen not as kids, but as a distinct group. Music, products, etc. were marketed towards the youth culture starting in the 1950's.

Thank goodness for the subversiveness of rock 'n roll. It's amazing to think how shocking it was for society back then...It's hilarious now to look at music documentaries and how parents were outraged as well much of "regular" society

Old 05-25-2007, 02:59 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
I enjoy the rock 'n roll of the 1950's...
One show i loved as a kid in the 70's was ''Happy Days'' and of course they always had the 50's music which i thought was cool. ''One, two, three o'clock, four o'clock rock''.........and of course we (guys) loved Joannie and then there's the ''Fonz'' aaaaaaaaaaaaaaay............

Old 05-25-2007, 03:04 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,754 times
Quote:
One show i loved as a kid in the 70's was ''Happy Days'' and of course they always had the 50's music which i thought was cool. ''One, two, three o'clock, four o'clock rock''.........and of course we (guys) loved Joannie and then there's the ''Fonz'' aaaaaaaaaaaaaaay............
Song by Bill Haley and the Comets He's from Detroit area, so I better know that since I hail from there LOL.

I used to love "Happy Days"

Old 07-01-2007, 11:27 PM

165 posts, read 555,296 times
Yes !!! I wasnt born in that generation, but the Oldies but Goodies will always Rock. I believe the last of the great Rock bands were, Pearl Jam, and Stone Temple Pilots. Rock was murdered by Modern Rock as far as I'm concerned. Grunge truly showed that Rock was on it's way out. The hair bands in the late eighty's were the beginning stages of the end of Rock N Roll.
Todays poor excuse of Modern Rock is just sad !!!!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 08:05 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Regarding status of today's rock - its like, look at Aerosmith; take any tune from "Toys in the Attic" to "Classics Live II", compare to the crud that they have come out with in past years since and including Permanent Vacation,,, ick. [of course, this is all my opinion ]. I love the tunes from the 50's and 60's, but, to get me going, nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to Led Zep, Pink Floyd, and Rush; throw in some Styx [Pieces of Eight and prior era, esp. Equinox & Crystal Ball, oh yea!], Kansas, Van Halen/Hagar, etc. Modern material that, again IMHO, that is just great, would include Collective Soul, DMB, etc. Southern rock, anything and everything,,, from Allman's, Marshall, Lynyrd, Molly, Derek Truck, and so on,,, these guys will always rock - with that sweet flavour that only they can make!

ps: Angel Bear, really like your post above :up:

Old 07-02-2007, 12:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
lol Jason.
I picked the last one.

A lot of people lament today's music and prefer the rock music that was popular during their reckless youth, whichever decade that might have been.
I say that's a losing battle.

I bought the new White Stripes album last week and it kicks butt.

Yes I was young in the early 70's and it was a great time and I saw the Who and the Stones blah blah blah, but rock has never been static.
If there is anything I loathe, it's oldies stations.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:38 PM

219 posts, read 717,967 times
I love rock and metal. It has always been a huge part of my life. Almost went to college to pursue music but ended up in the brain sciences. I dig old school rock, southern rock, all sorts of subgenres of metal - melodic death metal, progressive, power, metalcore, thrash, glam but I never could go for much grunge, nu-metal and so forth.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:31 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
A lot of people lament today's music and prefer the rock music that was popular during their reckless youth, whichever decade that might have been.
I say that's a losing battle.
I read somewhere, once, that the kind of music you like when you're 25 is the kind of music you'll prefer the rest of your life.

'Course, I was much more reckless when I was 25 than I was when I was 16. LOL

Old 07-02-2007, 03:58 PM

165 posts, read 555,296 times
The White Stripes, are a decent band. But their very Retro, in the fact that there music resembles when the beatles first appeared on the scene, except that their music is a little more modernised. What ever happened to Guitar Solo's and music that resembles anything like True Rockn Roll. The Black Crows are the closest band to that. Todays music, has no depth or heart. I think that kids today don't realise what Rockn Roll is truly about. It isn't just about atittude and fashion. It was a way of life. Todays Rock has turned into this repetitive cycle of, The same kind of voice, Theres no originallity anymore in Rock. All the bands sound practically the same. The music itself is alot more structured then what it was, And it's turned more vocal then what it used to be. I enjoyed Rock because of the gutiar, and music that made you feel good. The learics in alot of this Modern Rock, is angry, and more Philisophical then it used to be. They don't even make balleds anymore, and again they strum their gutairs, no solos or anything to make the music interesting. Grunge definetely Killed Rockn Roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music