Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,250,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
another nice song to learn on acoustic is long train running by the doobies... it's fairly easy and fun to play... I have the multi track (had no idea there were 4 guitars dubbed on here), but yeah... just another suggestion.
That is a good one buddy! So younger guys, who is the man know? SRV could play anything in any style of music. I have never seen or heard anyone else play before or since his tragic death like him. He had soul and feeling that even made Eric Clapton leave one of his live performances. He didn't want to loose confidence in his abilities or let the crowd see his emotions. Don't worry Eric, you don't have to worry about that. In memory of SRV 1954-1990. You are desperately missed buddy! Stevie Ray Vaughan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 03:47 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
we are encouraging him to move on

you want the kid to score don'tcha?
Haha, thanks, but I'm not a kid. Just someone who's wanting to learn at a later age.

No real desire to learn how to play an electric guitar either. Again, just want to be able to play for the fun of it.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 PM

I think you will like this one? The original is by The Eagles and there doesn't seem to be any on Youtube. This cover will work though. Learn how to play this Check it out! Rugged
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LIx...eature=related

Old 01-19-2010, 10:49 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
Hi all,

I'm going to be teaching myself how to play the guitar and was looking for some help in planning how to go about it. Basically I'm just looking for suggestions as far as a schedule. I can probably commit to an hour a night for 3-4 nights a week, but nothing more. Is that realistic? Or would it be too much (or too little)? In all honesty, I don't know the first thing about playing a guitar but I'd rather give it a go on my own (I've got books, DVD's, etc) rather than taking lessons. I feel like I learn better on my own.

Thanks!
"djkkt6" ~
Don't have any set schedule to practice. Just pick up your guitar whenever you feel like it. You don't have to take lessons. Do what you want when you want to. Lessons are not necessary; in fact, they can make learning a chore rather than fun, and they can make you sound like everyone else who takes lessons. Lessons are okay later on when you are already able to play pretty okay.
Learn some basic chords; like was already advised to you, try to get someone to sit in front of you with their guitar, which is more fun and helps you out. You can always sit alone, too.
Acoustic guitar is so great....and in many ways, more fulfilling than electric.
They're two different animals Learning to play a bit on one kind of guitar gets you going on the other.
***Don't try to play too fast*** Doing so will screw up your learning & will make your stuff sound like crap. Guitar players very often focus on speed, which can sound terrible and feelingless if you're not an ACE guitar player, and even then too much speed over & over & over really gets to be a drag.
Have fun, & don't feel like you have to practice.
~rainroosty~

Old 01-19-2010, 07:22 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,501 times
I guess I differ from most of the other posters but I would advise taking a lessons or 2. The guitar isn't easy in fact it can be a pretty tough instrument to play especially starting off and the last thing you want to do is get discouraged and not pick it up. Seeing as how you have never played the guitar before it's going to be hard to try and learn everything you need to know all at once. There are certain ways to strum, chord progression, note changes, finger positions, and 1000's of notes. A few lessons to get you started in the right direction I would say would be beneficial to anyone that wants to learn the guitar. Like I said the last thing you want to do is get discouraged and say to hell with this if you don't feel like your making any progress. It's alot easier to say "hey show me that e chord again" then flipping back in forth in a guitar book. Also it's amazing how awesome is to have YouTube now, there are lots and lots of helpful videos on there.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:39 PM

Here is a link for those guitar style DVD's. I have a ton of them. You can buy almost every, very popular band or guitarists you want. Rugged Curt Mitchell DVD Movies and Videos

Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAAEY6313jU

Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,232 times
Have fun with it, and I'm confident that you will. What kind of Martin do you have? Martin is literally the most coveted brand of steel string acoustics in history, and for good reason. I played steel strings for the better part of 20 years before I finally had to admit to myself that I was bored with it all. Just couldn't find fulfillment, for reasons too vague to put into words. I still love music of course, but nowadays I'm trying to learn violin and flamenco guitar. Now those are challenging! If I could just learn Caprice Basque on violin and pretty much any falseta on flamenco guitar, then I'm set for life. Not that I'd stop there.

Oh, and since you have an acoustic...

Old 03-23-2010, 03:12 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
And don't forget objective...is it your objective to 'entertain others' or 'to learn how to read and play notes or songs for self' ?

Either objective will lead you down different paths, in my opinion...

I heard the lead guitarist for Kiss say 'I'm an entertainer' flash, pizzaz ect...

When he heard a true guitarist play jazz on a guitar...he was blown away...

Entertainers are in it to make money or perform....purist are in it to learn...
And some are gifted enough to combine both...

And yet others, I believe, are just gifted...like Jimmi Hendrix...you can't go that far, without lessons, unless your just gifted or destined...

Last edited by Time and Space; 03-23-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 03:39 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,509 times
[quote=newmex;12473250]Above anything...You own a Martin. Nice instrument!

If you are going to keep at playing, great. If you plan on putting it back in the case and forget about it for a while, de-tune it. Nothing worse than keeping a guitar tensioned without using it. Neck warpage will cost money to repair and devalue the instrument if it can't be remedied.[/QUOTE

Why would you loosen the strings if you weren't going to play for a while? If you played the same guitar for a period of time aren't you putting more stress on the neck by strumming and bending? Also, isn't rod in the neck set up to handle the tension of the strings and if that's the case...wouldn't keeping the strings loose cause the neck to warp? What would be the length of time between playing that you would loosen the strings (6m,1y,5ys?) Just asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music