Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:28 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
I sure do appreciate all the encouragement...it's something I have always wanted to do but, never had the time or the means to do. (I'm retired now) I been working on some chords and like robhu said, I got sore finger tips. I can handle the sore fingers. I'm trying to work on it some everyday...like an hour or so.

If anyone has any pointers I'm all ears...because I know nothing about playing. I did buy a couple of books and a DVD that helps. I just look at chords in the book and try to make it sound right. Getting my finger positioned and not interfere with another string is my problem with some chords. I guess it's like a lot of other things PRACTICE.

Thanks to you all
I've got a pointer for you. I don't know what kind of music you like, but where guitar is concerned blues music is easy to learn and really fun to play. Almost every blues song you will ever hear follows a simple I IV V chord progression. That's right, just three chords -perfect for beginners. You should be able to play decent blues rhythm guitar with a couple of weeks practice. Then you can learn the blues and pentatonic scales which are used to play lead guitar. Within a couple of months you should be dazzling your friends. Playing the blues on guitar is so much fun with a lot of room for improvisation. And like I said in an earlier post keeping it fun is the key to success.

One thing that I do for fun is play a blues CD in my stereo and then try to play along with it improvising my own solos. This is tons of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 05:11 PM

298 posts, read 596,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I've got a pointer for you. I don't know what kind of music you like, but where guitar is concerned blues music is easy to learn and really fun to play. Almost every blues song you will ever hear follows a simple I IV V chord progression. That's right, just three chords -perfect for beginners. You should be able to play decent blues rhythm guitar with a couple of weeks practice. Then you can learn the blues and pentatonic scales which are used to play lead guitar. Within a couple of months you should be dazzling your friends. Playing the blues on guitar is so much fun with a lot of room for improvisation. And like I said in an earlier post keeping it fun is the key to success.

One thing that I do for fun is play a blues CD in my stereo and then try to play along with it improvising my own solos. This is tons of fun.
I like Blues...I was watching some on youtube last night trying to see how it was done...Thanks

Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,905 times
Quote:
I got a question for all the Guitar players out there, if I may. Can or should a person 56 years old attempt to learn to play a guitar?
Why on earth not?

The only time you're too old to learn anything is when you're dead.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,306,553 times
Quote:
I got a question for all the Guitar players out there, if I may. Can or should a person 56 years old attempt to learn to play a guitar?
Yes, in fact I have even seen much older people pick it up as a retirement hobby. I started when I was young and always incurage others to do the same. It's fun, draws attention (god or bad) LOL and is great for getting even with the person who you really don't like. Enough, can you do this? LOL DO IT!!!! BTW, I started on acoustic first, then went electric! A word to the wise is to buy the best stuff you can afford the first time. I didn't and quickly realized I needed a better guitar. I finally mustard up the courage to spend big-time on quality equipment and haven't been sorry since. After you buy one, you will buy more.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:56 PM

298 posts, read 596,078 times
WOW...I really appreciate all you guys, it gives me more determination.

Thanks.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:16 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,306,553 times
Quote:
WOW...I really appreciate all you guys, it gives me more determination.

Thanks.
You bet! Don't forget to check online and in your local music store for books and CDs on how to get started!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GneGpUmtd0Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbUlB...eature=related

Old 11-02-2010, 08:43 AM

810 posts, read 2,292,509 times
Here is nice blues lesson to build a foundation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHtPYZRVeGI

Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Absolutely. Go for it. I taught myself to play when I was 15 and I'm in my 60s now. I still play from time to time. I bought a new Yamaha about 5 years ago and it plays like a dream.

In college I played for groups but now I just play for myself because it is fun and I don't want to get rusty.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:00 AM

894 posts, read 2,315,356 times
Definitely. If it's something you're interested in why not? Even if you don't get good, it's the enjoyment you get from playing that counts. I recommend using tab. It gives you a literal way of how chords are positioned on the guitar fretboard;will make it easier to learn. To this day I have a hard time reading actual music unless I'm playing some classical guitar notes. I'm not great or anything and rarely play for anyone, but it's a hobby I enjoy and I'm not going to stop anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music