Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:19 AM

503 posts, read 710,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
The British music industry, what’s happened to it?
In the past bands evolved, grew and had their own style.
Now we only seem to have manufactured groups, all singing formulaic tracks.
Where have all the musicians gone?
welcome to the american music scene........and you at least have joss stone and amy wine house.we have crap like lady gag bag and trasha.not to mention disney's zombie appociliptic "musicians"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
one of my favorite acts out there right now are British, have you checked out the Zuton's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3xpmfJp0Xc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQTW1Bpv42o

and here's the link to there myspace page.
The Zutons on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,091,862 times
Most of my fav bands are British, but the UK hasn't done much for me since the NWOBHM

Old 02-02-2010, 06:04 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
welcome to the american music scene........and you at least have joss stone and amy wine house.we have crap like lady gag bag and trasha.not to mention disney's zombie appociliptic "musicians"

That was so funny I nearly fell off my stool.
So music is kak as where you are from then.
That makes me feel a whole lot better.
Thankyou.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
You might not like her music or style but GaGa does have talent. She can sing and is a great piano player.

Great bands are still out there you just have to look for them, 'cause you won't hear most of them on the radio. Also, I like to remind people who get nostalgic for the "old days" of music that most pop songs have always been mindless fluff. Sugar, Sugar was # 1 for 4 weeks and even The Monkees turned that POS down.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You might not like her music or style but GaGa does have talent. She can sing and is a great piano player.

Great bands are still out there you just have to look for them, 'cause you won't hear most of them on the radio. Also, I like to remind people who get nostalgic for the "old days" of music that most pop songs have always been mindless fluff. Sugar, Sugar was # 1 for 4 weeks and even The Monkees turned that POS down.
ok maybe i just dont like gag bag because i find her performance to be rediculous and they take away from the music......and because electro music sucks.

but don't even try to defend trasha because unlike gag bag,even with auto tune she still sucks at singing.and disneys monsters are the worst.they are spreading horrible music to a whole audience,generation of children.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:16 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Music here is dominated by the pop charts - most of which is complete garbage! My generation is all about celebrity, who's in Heat magazine etc London still has a great music scene, but it says a lot really when musicians like John Mayer and Dave Matthews don't even register...

Absolutely agree. The sad thing is that there will be hugely talented and original musicians out there with not a hope in hell of ever making it... I am not sure which came first , the public's desire for rubbish or the cynicism of record producers... Sometimes I think we almost get the music we deserve as a society which is a rather depressing thought.

Let's face it if people did not want garbage then "singers" like Cheryl Cole or Britney Spears would never make it.

It seems people lap up all the reality tv shows and bland, vapid pop...

As an avid cinema and live theatre goer I notice the same lack of talent in those industries too... Shows and films dumbed down to the lowest common denominator and Andrew Lloyd Weber more popular than Arthur Miller. It makes me want to retch. I also notice that even places like the Royal Opera House, RSC and ENO feel they have to "sex up" their brochures and performances , who could possible expect anyone to enjoy something with artistic integrity and purity ? The public it seems likes shiny baubles and a lot of loud and gharish things to make Art more palatable...

Old 02-03-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Absolutely agree. The sad thing is that there will be hugely talented and original musicians out there with not a hope in hell of ever making it... I am not sure which came first , the public's desire for rubbish or the cynicism of record producers... Sometimes I think we almost get the music we deserve as a society which is a rather depressing thought.

Let's face it if people did not want garbage then "singers" like Cheryl Cole or Britney Spears would never make it.

It seems people lap up all the reality tv shows and bland, vapid pop...

As an avid cinema and live theatre goer I notice the same lack of talent in those industries too... Shows and films dumbed down to the lowest common denominator and Andrew Lloyd Weber more popular than Arthur Miller. It makes me want to retch. I also notice that even places like the Royal Opera House, RSC and ENO feel they have to "sex up" their brochures and performances , who could possible expect anyone to enjoy something with artistic integrity and purity ? The public it seems likes shiny baubles and a lot of loud and gharish things to make Art more palatable...

man we need a renossance .....well it's still early in the decade a lot can change.o know when i graduate im gonna be living in chicago an dim starting me a band.taking total advantage of myspace to.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revol100 View Post
Muse !!
love muse.... best band in the world....

Old 02-03-2010, 07:19 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
I know a lot of Brittish musicians that are doing phenomenal folk / traditional music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music