Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:31 AM

191 posts, read 143,882 times

Advertisements

Robert Earl Keen has a few good ones.
Charlie Robison
Palo Alto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times

YouTube - Loudon Wainwright "Rufus Is A Tit Man"

Rufus is his son who also became a musician

Old 05-12-2010, 02:53 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
How could you guys forget Frank Zappa? Most of his output contains humor in some form.
And most of it--at least, what followed Absolutely Free---was about as funny as a screen door on a submarine. His humour has not dated well, alas, even if the music was terrific.

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, "Death Cab for Cutie"

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, "The Intro and the Outro"

Old 05-12-2010, 04:31 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,826 times

YouTube - Accept - Balls to the Wall

Old 05-16-2010, 11:45 AM

9,930 posts, read 13,922,380 times

YouTube - AC/DC - Big Balls

Old 05-16-2010, 11:58 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,931,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
For my money no one has integrated humor and music better than the Bonzo Dog Band. And it was no accident they were coming up at the same time and place as future Monty Python players.
They were the direct line to Monty Python (matter of fact, guitarist/songwriter Neil Innes became one of the Pythons after the Bonzos were pretty much finished), and a lot of their stuff fed a lot of vintage Python routines and concepts. Far as I'm concerned, the Bonzos made the Mothers of Invention resemble poseurs, and I still think Freak Out! and Absolutely Free are the Mothers' best work. Though I still think the Bonzos should have left their name alone . . . and it's a tragedy that top dog Viv Stanshall died in a fire some years ago.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times

YouTube - The Darkness-Growing On Me Music Video
Allegedly, about an STD.

Lyrics:
Darkness - Growing On Me Lyrics

Aside from the ton of musicians that do great novelty music...and the HUGE amount of youtube artists doing great things like 'CandyBra' etc....hmmmm...

YouTube - Elvis Presley - Jokes/Are You Lonesome Tonight

Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,324,826 times

YouTube - Caravan-Waterloo Lili

Old 07-24-2010, 10:30 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
What, no love for Jerry Reed? His songs are funny but I don't think they fall into the "novelty act" category.

Amos Moses - Jerry Reed

YouTube - Amos Moses - Jerry Reed

When You're Hot You're Hot Jerry Reed

YouTube - Jerry Reed "When You're Hot You're hot"

Jerry Reed -- She Got The Goldmine (I Got The Shaft)

YouTube - Jerry Reed -- She Got The Goldmine (I Got The Shaft)

Old 07-24-2010, 11:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
What musicians display a consistent sense of humor in their work...and it actually still be decent music? I'm not talking Weird Al type stuff...

A couple that come to mind for me...

Joe Walsh. Album names alone put him in this category...The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get and So What?
Songs like All Night Laundromat Blues, Average Ordinary Guys, Life's Been Good to Me.
Lyrics like "Standing on the runway waving at the plane, there goes everything you own. You call your mom collect, she doesn't know your name, staring at the telephone."

In the old days they had these things called "records". In the gap between the grooves of the last song and the record label, Walsh would often have a joke carved into the plastic. Example--(on one side of the album)--Q. What do you do with a dog that has no legs? (The other side of the album) A. Take it for a drag.

End songs like All Night Laundromat Blues or some no title thing that says "Hey, we're done." (2nd voice) "You can't be done." "Uh, why not?" "Because Dunn's in California!"

Consistently a funny guy who has fun with his music but still had mucho quality serious rock.

Another band that comes to mind...
Foo Fighters. I base this on their music videos...consistently funny. Not as funny with their music as Walsh, but still.

Phil Collins never seemed to take himself too seriously either.

Any other musicians as consistently off-beat as Walsh?
Although you have to have a perverted sense of humor...Steely Dan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music