Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:19 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,316,704 times

Advertisements

You can be the new Partridge family when the children has learned to play instruments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,006,750 times
ROFL!!!!

Hadn't thought of that yet! I sure hope we will have better tunes and cooler clothes!!!! (We only have 2 kids) so we're gonna have to keep it a lean mean pure rock n' roll machine!

the bus would be bitchen' though!

Old 02-25-2010, 03:07 PM

503 posts, read 710,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Your experience will vary based on:

- type of music scene
- you - skills, attitude and looks

You are 15, you should be in a band NOW.

I did and my s.o. did.

I started playing music when I was 5 and kept adding instruments. I have done session work/recording and been in punk or rock bands. I also did booking and mngmt.

The s.o. starting playing when he was 14 and worked with a famous punk band that did a euro tour and then went his own way to do his music. He toured the NE/Canada with his own stuff. He just likes to play at this point and has zero interest in being a "rock star".

Short and sweet of it is that you are going to have to practice a lot and be able to deal with a-holes and flakes. The way music is now totally changes what it was in the past. Now you can start you own label and release the stuff for rather cheap compared to the cost of old analog, record pressing and cd making.

Step by step:
- Practice everyday at least 2 hours. ( I practiced 4 or more usually)
- start writing
- start band
- compile song list
- record and release
- book shows
- promote online, on foot

On the release of your recording there is a lot of techi stuff that I am not going to go into here. You have the passion you can figure that one out.

i am learning to sing/guitar.i'm from a small town with people only interested in death metal and stuff like pop punk.no one seems to be interested in my concept of a classic rock sounding band.so i'm just building my knowledge until i get to a bigger city(chicago).there is a cafe in town though,and once im more experienced i'd liked to go and do blues music there by myself as the crowd tends to be more mature and older.

ex: hey do you like led zeppelin or the doors i wanna have a band like that? no i like fall out boy,who are the led doors?is that the band janis joplin and jimmi hendrix were in?old music arez gayz.i only like top 40 and screamo stuff.Yay

i deal with that a lot.people think i'm some weirdo for liking music older than my parents.they think i s hould "be more with the times" and like lady gaga and waka flak flame. ughh. and the people that do like older like only as some sort of trend.they buy zeppelin shirts because they have 1 song on their ipod(most likely stairway) ughh i hate this town

Old 02-25-2010, 03:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
I've been in a few bands, and have also played with a few well known acts.

Lately, I've been sticking with bluegrass mandolin and occasionally play upright 4/4 bass with orchestras. It's hard to find a lady who can handle a 4/4

I like acoustic stuff, never really been drawn to anything electric, although I did play electric bass for a few local groups, and every once in a while I play in a church (even though I'm an Atheist) with a friend's worship band. I just do fun stuff now, no more drama that comes with being in a band.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:43 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,338 times
Not really in a band so to speak but I play with others for fun. I used to put leads on one of my friends dad's rhythm guitar. He plays for a church and needed a heavier sound. My guitar style is of the classic Blues/Rock style and it fit well. He says to come over more often and jam with him. His wife who is of the feminine side thinks otherwise!!!!LMAO.............

Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,338 times

YouTube - AC/DC - Nervous Shakedown

Old 02-25-2010, 06:43 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,184,339 times
Helped pay my way through college in the '70s playing a little music. Well, it'd be more accurate to say made a little beer money during college. Played drums, keyboard and for a couple of years was front man. Did a lot of southern rock covers, '70s style boogie and blues.
Played in front of a lot of drunks...

Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,006,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
i am learning to sing/guitar.i'm from a small town with people only interested in death metal and stuff like pop punk.no one seems to be interested in my concept of a classic rock sounding band.so i'm just building my knowledge until i get to a bigger city(chicago).there is a cafe in town though,and once im more experienced i'd liked to go and do blues music there by myself as the crowd tends to be more mature and older.

ex: hey do you like led zeppelin or the doors i wanna have a band like that? no i like fall out boy,who are the led doors?is that the band janis joplin and jimmi hendrix were in?old music arez gayz.i only like top 40 and screamo stuff.Yay

i deal with that a lot.people think i'm some weirdo for liking music older than my parents.they think i s hould "be more with the times" and like lady gaga and waka flak flame. ughh. and the people that do like older like only as some sort of trend.they buy zeppelin shirts because they have 1 song on their ipod(most likely stairway) ughh i hate this town
Do you have a music program at your high school? If so, are you in it?

Also, if you want to get the heck outta town for a trip in the Summer time, parents are into it, etc. then check this out:

(my husband went there for the summer program at your age and said it was the best time)

he loved it so much he went back there for college.

Berklee Summer Programs

Old 02-25-2010, 07:46 PM

503 posts, read 710,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Do you have a music program at your high school? If so, are you in it?

Also, if you want to get the heck outta town for a trip in the Summer time, parents are into it, etc. then check this out:

(my husband went there for the summer program at your age and said it was the best time)

he loved it so much he went back there for college.

Berklee Summer Programs
im joining choir next year. i was going to this year but the whole"music isn't realistic junk penitrated my head" and i took some teaching program.choir is really fun from what everyone else says.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:59 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
Take choir! It will totally train your ear and strengthen the muscles you need to sing. It should also teach you how to sing so that you don't hurt yourself. (google:jawbreaker throat polyps)

Those people who are ragging on your taste have absolute crap for taste. Fall out boy? COME ON! That is not even music. The pop punk scene is so played out, only kids from the midwest would still think thats cool...ugh....sorry dude. I totally feel for you. Around that age if I heard one more person say: "a band like greenday" I was going to stab my eyes out. Needless to say when I was 18 I moved to NYC and kept my eyes.

Look into computer recording programs and practice writing what you want to sound like even if you don't have people. Then when you get good enough to play with a group or find the people its ready to go. Check out books by : Rooksby. He has a book of "how to write songs on guitar".

And with everyone being online you could just do everything yourself and sell that. Be a total online band until you get together with a group to play out. And if you just want to play and don't have an obsession with being the frontman take drums. It will give you killer arms and EVERYONE is always looking for a drummer. If you are nice on top of being a drummer and not a "lars" people will always be asking you to be in bands. And just play with whoever when you can. I still played with the people who made me want to stab my eyes out with the "greenday" stuff. Its just good practice. Choir will help you get a feel with working musically with other people too. Its different than playing alone.

edit:

guitar tips:
- get a a gripmaster - It speeds up your hand strength so you can be strong enough to play
- super glue/fabric medical tape - throw this in a heavy baggie in your case. Its good to fill in your fingers if they crack and bleed or to take the superglue and make a "fake" callus on your fingertips so the strings don't cut into your fingers so easily
- go with a light gadge string and medium pic (easy to press,bend and the pic does not click or break strings as easy as heavy)
- get a classical nylon string guitar to practice scales on. It does not have to be expensive. Its just for exercises. They cut into your fingers less, but you should still use the steel or brass to build up those callus finger caps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music