Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Yes, Britney Spears. Not that she is so great, mind you, but there are very few who are actually better. Being able to sing better than that has no market value in today's music industry.

I will say, though, that Beyonce' can sing.

When Rock was in its infancy, a novelty form that was not taken seriously by any legitimate musicians, the talent and quality of the singers was still far ahead of what it is now. There is now no popular singer that can match Sam Cooke, Jerry Butler, and Jesse Belvin, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvYrqsYfFOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLlBz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMK3R8ALK8s

There was even a place in 1962 for a young backup singer named Dionne Warwick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEgxuE7WD6U

Last edited by jtur88; 04-01-2010 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:06 AM

10 posts, read 15,565 times
Everything to today is altered.What really urks me is now when these stars perform on t.v or a special.They actually are lip syncing.What is that about?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaultvintage View Post
Everything to today is altered.What really urks me is now when these stars perform on t.v or a special.They actually are lip syncing.What is that about?
That's not a new thing. Actually, there are probably more actual live performances on TV today than there ever were in the past.

Lip syncing was so bad at one time that, in protest, bands wouldn't even pretend they were singing or playing. For example, they wold hold a broom rather than a guitar, or they'd completely stop moving their mouth during the vocal parts.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:00 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
yes

Check out (in no particular order)

the Avett Brothers
Amos Lee
Andrew Hoover
Band of Horses
the Benji Davis Project
Camera Obscura
Carbon Leaf
Chris Duarte
Coconut Records
Daughtry
David Cook
the Derek Trucks Band
Eli "Paperboy" Reed
Eric Bibb
Eric Hutchinson
Fleet Foxes
Garrett Moore
the Gaslight Anthem
Griffin House
JJ Grey and the Mofro
Joe Bonamassa
Jonny Lang
Joseph Arthur
Josh Kelley
KT Tunstall
the Kaiser Chiefs
Kenny Wayne Sheppard
the Killers
Lemuria
the Maine
Marc Broussard
Matt Costa
the Morning of
moving pictures
needtobreathe
O.A,R.
Parmalee
Porcupine tree
the Posies
the Raconteurs
Razorlight
Rory Block
Supergrass
Susan Tedeschi
Toubab Krewe
Wavy Space
Weezer
White Rabbits
Widespread Panic
the Zutons
the Cloers
Holy Ghost Tent Revival
Paul Atkinson
East Coast Blues Band
Big Bus Dream
Los Blancos
Bull City Syndicate
Micah Dalton
Hobex
Blonde Blues
Nova Stella
Preacher Stone
Nathan Davis
Elizabeth and the Catapult
Ang Medlin
Straight No Chaser
Pie Boys Flat
Rolan Bolan
Andy Lehman and the night
Chasing Edison
Perpetual Groove
Jonathon Clay
Orgone
the New Familiars
Lynhurst
Michael Burks
Temperance League
Justin Nosuka
Civil Twilight
the Brew
Bubonik Funk

to name a few
Okay...who are these people? They must have some cult followings because I know they ain't winning any awards or selling records. Is popular music that bad today, that we have to go into thr bowels of the earth to find these?

Okay.....this is what I like. My tastes are varied. I can go anywhere (except country).

YouTube - Earth, Wind & Fire - That's The Way Of The World (ste.lyrcs)

YouTube - A House Is Not A Home (Live!) Luther Vandross

YouTube - Billy Joel- Just the Way You Are

You can only post 3 at a time without getting in trouble with the board cops. So I'll post more later.

But these artists were talented. No enhancements required unless they just wanted them. Great writers....lyrics meant something (not that it was always a requirement). But today......something is lost.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:09 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,456 times
There's a few mainstream bands with good singers. Coldplay comes to mind immediately. Yeah, flame me all you want, but I'll stand by my contention that Chris Martin is a very good vocalist with a lot of range.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:17 PM

YouTube - Jimi Hendrix Purple Haze

YouTube - Atlantic Starr - Send For Me - Great Sound

YouTube - Doobie Brothers - Takin' It To The Streets (High Quality)

Some more of what I like.....

Old 04-01-2010, 06:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
You're right. Hokey and formulaic as they were, I was enchanted by Atlantic Starr, who really possessed something special.

Marilyn McCoo might have been the best female pop singer in my lifetime.

YouTube - The 5th Dimension - (Last Night) I Didn't... (audio only)

Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Okay...who are these people? They must have some cult followings because I know they ain't winning any awards or selling records. Is popular music that bad today, that we have to go into thr bowels of the earth to find these?

I'm not familiar with most of those names either, but come on. Anyone who has a REAL interest in music should automatically be digging a little deeper than awards shows and sales charts.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,099,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

Okay.....this is what I like. My tastes are varied. I can go anywhere (except country).

YouTube - Earth, Wind & Fire - That's The Way Of The World (ste.lyrcs)

YouTube - A House Is Not A Home (Live!) Luther Vandross

YouTube - Billy Joel- Just the Way You Are

You can only post 3 at a time without getting in trouble with the board cops. So I'll post more later.

But these artists were talented. No enhancements required unless they just wanted them. Great writers....lyrics meant something (not that it was always a requirement). But today......something is lost.
Bowels of the earth, are you kidding me, try googling one of them, like you I grew up on 60's, 70's and into the early 80's music.

After 25 yr's of pissing and moaning about the state of music, I decided there has to be something out there worth listening to, that list is what I found in the last 6 months. There is tons of quality bands and singer/songwriters out there right now and they are at your fingertips, go to myspace type in a genre that you like, every artist has a few sample songs on there page. Another thing i do is if a band is listed on this site and I'm not familiar with them I find them on youtube, and I look for reasons to like them, and not reasons to hate them.

here's two of my favorite bands, I would really like to hear your honest opinion of the them.

the Zutons

YouTube - Valerie - The Zutons

the Gaslight Anthem

YouTube - The Gaslight Anthem- Great Expectations With Lyrics

Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm not familiar with most of those names either, but come on. Anyone who has a REAL interest in music should automatically be digging a little deeper than awards shows and sales charts.

I agree. But I thought the issue was billboard music today.....The R&B, Hip Hop, Rock, Pop.

Stuff that's getting air play.....not the underground stuff.

YouTube - Tony Toni Tone - I don't know what you come to do

YouTube - Steely Dan - Hey Nineteen (with lyrics)

YouTube - Rapture of love Anita Baker

Just a little more of what I like....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music