Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:49 PM

503 posts, read 710,209 times

Advertisements

there is a marketing problem in music.....all that gets thrown in the mainstream is crap. the good stuff takes time to find. I don't even read rolling stone anymore,their articles are so irritating.

it also depends on what is popular. people into hiphop/pop/rap have it easy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 03:23 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,100,217 times
I stopped listening to new music around 1985, because I was a classic rock fan and most of the rock being made then was metal, so I stopped listening and started looking backwards, I started to really get into Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, Harry Chapin, John Denver.... and other assorted folk, acoustic rock singer/ songwriters from the 60 and 70's.

That trend lasted about 10 years, then talk radio and sports radio for another 15 years.

Truth is, this music forum lit a spark for me and I started to get back into music, for a while it was only about posting my favorite songs for back in the day. about 6 months ago or so I decided to try out the new stuff.

Lots of great artists and bands out there now.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
My ex-girlfriend didn't want music in her home...so I got to listen less and less each day until now. I still usually only listen to music on YouTube, a song here or there, and I post what I've decided on here. Otherwise, I don't have it on.

I'm working on it though...at least when I'm out of the house and not working.

The music I do listen to is old--mainly music from before I hit 21. I guess the majority of the newer music I would hear out in bars, and there's a country vibe around these parts.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:38 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Of course there is nothing wrong with silence!
Silence, to me, is far more desirable than listening to a television.

People downshift--or become revved up--with different stimuli.

There was a period of my life when it was all I could do just to listen to music that was familiar to me, let alone seek out new tunes. New babies will do that to ya.
Then when you get older still other things take precedence, like house repairs! Grr! And then after that comes medicare co-pays!

Still, I won't let it stop me. When it comes to a budget I'm your worst nightmare! As I'm pushing 60, I play everything in the collection once a year, it takes me a while to do it, but it gets done. And I've been at it for a while. Bought my first 45 in 1962, first lp in 1963, first 8 track in 1967.

But collecting certainly isn't everybody's cup of tea. But it fires my rocket in more ways than one. That's just me. But trust me, at a certain point in time you have to put on the brakes on serious buying when you have health issues like me. When you buy that new release at $16.99 or whatever the price, will you get your moneys worth out of it. When you're favorite group comes to town for a price higher than you've paid when you saw them years ago, will you get your money's worth.

Still, I love the hobby. Always.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 PM

122 posts, read 210,956 times
Soon to be a mature 4fn5.... wth ....oh by the way still LOUD N PROUD for me... i f n love the stuff, think i always will....

Old 04-10-2010, 04:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post
there is a marketing problem in music.....all that gets thrown in the mainstream is crap. the good stuff takes time to find. I don't even read rolling stone anymore,their articles are so irritating.

I don't think it depends on what is popular.
It is up to the individual.

Marketing continues from all angles.
The best marketing isn't even really marketing.

I agree about Rolling Stone; they have been irrelevant for awhile now.

Spin Magazine keeps wanting me to subscribe, and they keep emailing me free music. They sent me a 'best of' collection from this year's South By Southwest. Not all of it wows me, but plenty does.

I am Facebook friends with a guy who turns me on to new music every week.
I really like this remix: Home

Quote:
With so much "choice", how much time to you need to spend listening to really really bad stuff, untill you stumble across Ulrich Schnauss? Or, how how much of your life do you have to dedicate to music, in order to keep constantly abreast of the genres you like. You talked about "new genres" like Ambient and Trance. How in the hell am I supposed to look for new genres? There are already about 500 genres.
jtur88, I rarely listen to really really bad stuff--but bad is just as subjective as good.
I don't feel like I am slogging grimly through the muck in a desperate search for music I love. It just sort of appears. There are a few bands I especially like, though--I guess I try to stay up on their latest efforts.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:34 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeo2194 View Post

Yes they do. And living in the NYC area, that's what most people are exposed to. Classic rock still dominates the rock market, but I can only listen to Stairway to Heaven so many times.

Most original music is played on the college radio stations around here, but their signals are iffy and programming erratic. One minute I can be listening to something fantastic, followed by a set of screaming death-metal guitar followed by a set of zydeco. It's too inconsistent to enjoy.

For awhile new or interesting music could be heard in nightclubs, but as a working father of three that wasn't happening. The only other way to hear anything new was to randomly buy CDs and hope for the best, but that's an expensive habit.

I don't think the music industry has really adapted to the Internet yet, but the smarter musicians know they have to market their stuff and the Internet is perfect. I have purchased more music in the last five years than I did in the '80's or '90's. Massive Attack has been around since '91, but I'd never heard of them until Internet radio came along (anyone who watches House has heard them, it's the theme song).

Same thing with William Orbit. The guy has been releasing albums since the late '80's, but forget about hearing him on NYC mainstream radio.

I love the Internet because it does make good music easier to find, and the best thing about multiple genres of music is I can micro-manage my tastes. I don't have to listen to ten so-so songs to get to the one I like

Old 04-10-2010, 05:56 PM

503 posts, read 710,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Classic rock still dominates the rock market, but I can only listen to Stairway to Heaven so many times.
it irritates me how so many stations only play really known classic rock.few ever go into the deep cuts.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,014 times
To the OP...CLEVELAND of all places...Because it was handed to that guy in that Onion article on a platter, by an Indu$try, and he didn't forage for himself...or create. Wandering aimlessly without a clue, from mullet, tiger print nuthugger spandex pants down to his hi-top tennis shoes...I laughed as those folks paraded...

I have my reservations about satellite radio, even some of the stuff I have in my collection is beyond what they have yet to build a channel for...Prog for example....if it sounds like the following link, I may buy...I grew up on this in my home town in the '70's & the early '80's...built my music library collection founded on listener-ship and have on air cassette tapes to appreciate...WKSU 89.7...From Kent, Ohio. There was more than self indulgent noodling broadcast on this station...

http://xerographicoppossum.blogspot.com/

Last edited by newmex; 04-10-2010 at 07:40 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,963 times
EDIT:
Oh I just saw your link! Now your post makes more sense.
Thanks for the bloglink newmex! Blogs are awesome. Luv em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
To the OP...CLEVELAND of all places...Because it was handed to that guy in that Onion article on a platter, by an Indu$try, and he didn't forage for himself...or create. Wandering aimlessly without a clue, from mullet, tiger print nuthugger spandex pants down to his hi-top tennis shoes...I laughed as those folks paraded...

I have my reservations about satellite radio, even some of the stuff I have in my collection is beyond what they have yet to build a channel for...Prog for example....if it sounds like the following link, I may buy...I grew up on this in my home town in the '70's & the early '80's...built my music library collection founded on listener-ship and have on air cassette tapes to appreciate...WKSU 89.7...From Kent, Ohio. There was more than self indulgent noodling broadcast on this station...

Air Modern
The words 'self indulgent' seem to define the whole business of music collecting to me.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just wonder if, on my death bed, I'll say: "I should've collected more albums! (dead)"

As opposed to, "I should've looked at more sunsets!" or..."I should've practiced meditation more!", etc.

Anyways, KALX, WFMU and a (very) few others are the only places I occasionally get new music tips from the radio. KUT (in Austin) is just sad. Like a lame stray that needs to be put to sleep in my anything but humble opinion. It's mostly 'alt-country' of the absolute worst kind. Esp Jay Tractenburg or whoever. Sorry Jay...but I don't like your programming. It all sounds the same and my libary collection is apparently, bigger than their's. Plus, I call the shots when I play my Computer / Jukebox so...what's not to like? The only thing missing is the irrelevant DJ blowing hot air...and I got that covered times 10 as well!

KALX!!!

Last edited by brubaker; 04-10-2010 at 08:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music