Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:11 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
with the years the taste in music changes perhaps
I am 53 yrs and most of the time I am listening to George Gershwin on my pc
I just got the Houston Opera recording of Porgy and Bess. Only listened to it once, it's much more operatic than traditional song-oriented which I wasn't expecting, but the singing is superb. Any other recommended Gershwin recordings? (I was in the musical Crazy For You at age 15, so I know that.)

I spent my 20's going through the classic rock lexicon, art-rock especially. Now I'm 31 and I'm getting into classic Broadway and classical. I do regret not spending more of my 20's reading or just socializing. I know people who think Billy Joel is the greatest musical artist of all time, and yet have amazingly vast knowledge of literature, which I certainly don't. Many art forms to appreciate, and nothing wrong with letting one wane and another grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 12:28 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,329,825 times
There are generational divides in music. Punk was one. Rap was another. Metal a third. It's a point beyond which older listeners like me usually don't want to go, because it's just too noisy and abrasive on the other side.
I noticed the same thing happening with films the first and only time I saw The Matrix. I didn't understand it. This in itself is nothing new. What was new was my complete disinterest in gaining any understanding. I realised that the plot had probably been worked out in scrupulous detail so that it made sense in some way but I frankly couldn't be bothered to find out because I suspect I would have been underwhelmed by the conclusion. I decided to watch it scene by scene as if it was a collection of pop videos.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:01 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
I get what the OP is saying, most people are into music the most in their teens to eaerly 20's.

I does wane, other trhings take up your time and priorities.

Still though, I like music but not as into it as I was from 12 to about 25.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:19 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
I cannot imagine losing my love of music. I would rather lose a body part!! In fact, I notice when I am becoming more depressed than usual, or more anxiety ridden, there seems to be a direct correlation with that and the amount of music I have been enjoying lately. If I let "life" crowd out music time, everything gets worse. With music, everything is better, even when everything else is really awful, it becomes bearable.

Music is a big part of of our family time. We are always discovering something new and sharing it with each other. "We" are ages 10, 15, 20, 36, and 41(me) and our musical interests span genres and time periods. So while I had certain types of music I preferred in past decades (teens it was classic rock due to an older brother, then metal, then punk in late teens and 20's, then grunge, then folk, folk-punk, gypsy punk, international) now I like a little bit of just about EVERYTHING except for maybe gospel. And yeah, I have a low tolerance for most 'pop'.

Music is such an integral part of our family memories and shared experiences though. It's vital.

Last edited by Sally_Sparrow; 03-10-2013 at 08:16 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 08:51 PM

375 posts, read 369,868 times
New music doesn't fall in my lap anymore and my hubris for the past outweighs my passion for tomorrow, because all of my best musical experiences (and life events) are seemingly behind me. Music only serves to remind me of how much fun I used to have. Every time I walk into my favorite pizza place, and I look at its worn-out, scurvy beige carpet, the classic rock musak reminds me of what it was like to have an imagination...and some fun. Back when music was music.

You left me behind a long time ago.

I used to have a lust for life. How can I live without you? You were my way in the walk of life. All I have is my pictures of you. Memories, of the way we were. Send me a postcard. I'll be in a ring of fire, my musical convalescent home, where my imagination was sent straight to hell. You used to spin me round (like a record) but nothing from nothing is nothing. You gotta have something, if you wanna be with me.

Why can't I be you?

Old 07-02-2013, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 897 times
I'm much younger, and I'm in my super big phase with music right now. I'm 21, and one of the primary goals in my life is to practice and play the guitar, trumpet, piano, etc, teach lessons, and become a virtuoso. I usually practice my scales and arpeggios and music theory for a few hours a day, and have developed lesson plans (and consistently write more) for future students. My career path is in programming, though. So I do have the distinction there, I know music is primarily for leisure and that leisure is only a small part of life.

One of the issues I see a lot here is that people talk about a financial commitment to music. Nowadays, at least in my generation, most of us download our music for free. And the smarter bands like this, because they really only get a very small fraction from album sales anyway. It simply excites them that people listen to their music, and plus then they are more likely to come out to shows (where the band DOES get paid well). I know for me, if I download an album and I like it a lot, I will usually go to see the show even if the tickets cost say, $30. Maybe the technology gap between generations is what prevents this from happening.

You can find great music in about 30 seconds right now by searching Top Albums of 2012 (or 1965) on Google. Click on a reputable looking website (hint: Miley Cyrus will be NOWHERE near their top albums. Pop music sucks nowadays, and believe it or not we KNOW that) and find some album descriptions that look appealing to you, and take a listen (there should be a play button right then and there). So much easier now to find good music than 10 years ago.

Want to hear great music right now (should take you less than 15 seconds to pull up...), for free? Open up Youtube and look up the Sarod on youtube. Click on the first video (the sound will still play so you don't have to actually watch it, just minimize it). It is an indian instrument which sounds great.

Needless to say, I couldn't imagine my life without music. Of course, I also don't really have plans to become a parent or homeowner either (not really financially in the cards for our generation... luckily we enjoy the wonderful aspects of life like physical exercise, socialization, and music )

Old 07-03-2013, 12:03 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Young people (I mean kids) aren't worried about making a living, keeping a job and marriage together, raising a family and other things, so why wouldn't they be more obsessed with music than adults are. It doesn't mean people don't listen to music anymore or don't like it, its just taken a bit lower place on the scale as one has more responsibilities and less time. People that play an instrument are usually more devoted to music than others. Then you find older people that kind of relive their youth, good and bad times, through listening to the old tunes on places like YT.

I was thinking how my favorite Beatles tunes when I was a kid, are still the same now. Somethings don't really change much. I liked all kind of music long ago and still do. Was just listening to Randy Crawford, before that the band Cold, before that "Reflections" by the Supremes. The great thing these days is being able to listen to stations from all over the world, I try to find the ones that don't play the crap from here, thats not what I tune in for. I love African artists, much of that you'd never hear in the states, if not for the internet. Single people probably spend more hours scanning the YT videos, and streaming music than marriage folks do.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I quit listening to music when radio in the NYC area got so predictable and stagnant I couldn't take it anymore. And those were the days when radio had a monopoly over new music. I got hooked on sports and political talk radio.

But then the Internet happened, and a whole new world of music I'd never heard before opened up. Genres like Ambient and Trance that I'd never heard of before. Musicians like Massive Attack and William Orbit and Ulrich Schnauss.

I love AOL radio and all the genres and sub-genres it offers. Best of all is the ability to preview and then buy single songs from Amazon, I-Tunes or even Walmart. No more buying a whole album of dreck for $16 just to get one good song.

Instead of buying a whole stereo I bought myself a kick-a$$ pair of headphones, and I can work at my computer and enjoy my tunes in a whole new way. It's great...music is good again
I'm a year from officially being 'old', but music is still a vital and everpresent part of life. Maybe because my my mom played music all the time and I grew up hearing it. It was funny but I was with my inlaws, in their 80's, and this was showing us a real victrola. He played a record and asked who the lead singer was. I knew immediately it was Bing Crosby but also knew it was the Andrews Sisters doing backup. Mom loved big band music and so do I and so does my son who is in his early twenties. It's a universal language.

My 'sterio' is the really good speakers I run the tv sound through, and use the laptop. I won't pay some huge bucks for a good CD player when I can play them off the laptop to a dvr which had the picture die and out the speakers. Amazon is also my friend and I've found a LOT of good pagan celtic music there which is very hard to find.

I LOVE live celtic and folk and bagpipes and would love to find such a festival.

But I simply cannot imagine not having music as a background to life and the day or so my component switch had quit working and the new one not delivered I missed it a lot. Music feeds some primal thing in us and without it we are so much less.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:08 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,436 times
I Love Music ! Always have

Ever since we were kids, my Mom playing the Beatles records - we were always dancing and singing to the songs !

I started saving my babysitting money, when I was young, to buy records and we started going to concerts in our early teens - music & concerts is my passion and always will be

I know it's only Rock & Roll but I like it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music