Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
started colloborating with Paul McCartney starting in 1979 when he covered Paul's "Girlfriend" (from London Town in 78) for MJ's Off The Wall album in 79, then duetted on "The Girl Is Mine" from Thriller, then the following year did "Say Say Say" on Paul's "Pipes Of Peace" album in 83
Paul McCartney was outperformed by MJ on "The girl is mine" and "Say say say"

Old 06-09-2010, 05:16 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
It seems that many of you are comparing the number of units sold verses the amount of talent of the performer. You also have to look at the time difference. Im not trying to make a racial thing out of this either but more white baby boomer tend to favor Elvis and pretty much anyone younger than 35 favors Micheal. Blacks tend to lean more towards MJ than Elvis due to the fact that most of the things that Elvis did (dance? singing style) was common among the blacks at that time (see Little Richard, Chubby Checker ect). Elvis style was somewhat new to whites at that time. Now that being said if you want to compare artist based STRICTLY on talent, neither one can hold a candle to the artist formerly known as PRINCE.

This man plays numerous instruments, writes his own songs, produces, sings and introduced more artists than both MJ and Elvis (add the beatles also). He also has longevity shared only by Stevie Wonder and Miles Davis.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It seems that many of you are comparing the number of units sold verses the amount of talent of the performer. You also have to look at the time difference. Im not trying to make a racial thing out of this either but more white baby boomer tend to favor Elvis and pretty much anyone younger than 35 favors Micheal. Blacks tend to lean more towards MJ than Elvis due to the fact that most of the things that Elvis did (dance? singing style) was common among the blacks at that time (see Little Richard, Chubby Checker ect). Elvis style was somewhat new to whites at that time. Now that being said if you want to compare artist based STRICTLY on talent, neither one can hold a candle to the artist formerly known as PRINCE.

This man plays numerous instruments, writes his own songs, produces, sings and introduced more artists than both MJ and Elvis (add the beatles also). He also has longevity shared only by Stevie Wonder and Miles Davis.
I like prince but he's not on MJ level either. He's kinda arrogant if you ask me.
Watch the video of MJ, James Brown and Prince on stage together back in 82 or 82 i think.. Watch how MJ went on stage and KILLED it in about 30 seconds. Then watch prince come up there for 5 minutes and make a mess.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:25 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Don't believe everything you read. Michael jackson was a BILLIONAIRE before he was 30. and in all honesty, no artist sold a billion record MJ, the beatles or elvis. All those sales are exaggerated. I think MJ is the biggest selling artist ever..
"Thinking" does not make it a fact.

Quote:
he damn sure was the best.
An opinion, and a poor one at that.

Quote:
Oh, and look, somebody just said something about Child molestation. That was FALSE. But we all know elvis was a molester, he was 24 when he married priscilla who was 14, But i wont say anything because its a " "irrelevant blanket statement"
Lol. She was 21 when she married Elvis! And Elvis was 32 when he married, not "24."

Old 06-09-2010, 05:31 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
I like prince but he's not on MJ level either. He's kinda arrogant if you ask me.
Watch the video of MJ, James Brown and Prince on stage together back in 82 or 82 i think.. Watch how MJ went on stage and KILLED it in about 30 seconds. Then watch prince come up there for 5 minutes and make a mess.
MJ has a waaay better stage presence, but overall talent rather you like him or not it has to be PRINCE. I think that he appears arrogant b/c of a Napolean (sp) complex. If you are 5' you have to be arrogant about something

Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
"Vocal range: 3.6+ octaves (E2-B5; 44 notes by the middle of 1980s according to Seth Riggs, Jackson's vocal consultant (Quote from Seth Riggs); in the 1990s, Riggs said the range expanded to 4 octaves. Apparently, due to aging, Jackson got few additional lower notes, while not losing the highest ones.)" Im pretty sure Seth Riggs isn't in any MJ fanclub.
Would that be notes he could sing or notes he could hit?
Also realize that having a wide range doesn't make someone the best singer.

Quote:
LMAO @ aloha from hawaii gettting more viewers than anything MJ did. I'm 100% sure you dont believe that BS. It was IMPOSSIBLE for that show to be seen live by 1.5 Billion people. I know you're smarter than what you're making yourself seem.
Why was it "impossbile?" It was broadcast via satellite. Feel free to post the "actual" number of viewers, okay?

Quote:
This "Cant help falling in love" song is putting me to sleep. Also, I've noticed elvis didnt write the song either. I also noticed how you only said "vocal quality and deepness of voice", NOTHING about his range.
Well, after listening to MJ's music (most of which is a lot of screeching) I can see why normal music would do that to you.
And, yes, Elvis' vocal quality and deepness of voice was excellent, certainly better than MJ's.

Quote:
elvis couldnt touch MJ in any way, shape, or form.
Those with good taste don't even try to compare MJ to the King (Elvis).

Old 06-09-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Would that be notes he could sing or notes he could hit?
Also realize that having a wide range doesn't make someone the best singer.

Why was it "impossbile?" It was broadcast via satellite. Feel free to post the "actual" number of viewers, okay?

Well, after listening to MJ's music (most of which is a lot of screeching) I can see why normal music would do that to you.
And, yes, Elvis' vocal quality and deepness of voice was excellent, certainly better than MJ's.

Those with good taste don't even try to compare MJ to the King (Elvis).

1. You brought up whole range topic, now that it didnt work in your favor, it doesnt mean as much to you.

2. Reasons why its impossible: America & europe didnt watch it live, due to the time of the concert. Which were elvis biggest markets. You feel free to post "actual" numbers, not some inflated figure like that. You know better than that, shame on you.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
MJ has a waaay better stage presence, but overall talent rather you like him or not it has to be PRINCE. I think that he appears arrogant b/c of a Napolean (sp) complex. If you are 5' you have to be arrogant about something
He is very talented i'll give you that, but he's still no match for MJ. MJ didnt have to play a million instruments, his voice was his instrument.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Well, make up your mind! You claimed that she was 14 when she was "married."

I already know all about the relationship. I don't need to look it up on wikipedia. Tell me when Elvis invited 8 year old boys to sleep with him! Dating does not automatically=molestation. Remember, years ago in the south (U.S.) it was not uncommon for young teens to be dating.

But if you really want to mention a scandal, look no further than then 22-year-old Jerry Lee Lewis marrying his then 13-year-old first cousin (once removed).
15 or 14, married or dating its still inappropriate.

I take it you've seen the EDITED version on MJ's interviews. He said he didnt INVITE them, they followed him. Plus, he said he sleeps on the floor. also, Laying unconsciously in the same room does not automatically= molestation.

MJ was the best. Elvis and the beatles never came close... he broke more records than any other artist, he has the record for having the most records, he has the record for selling more albums than ANYONE. he's the artist of the millenium, nobody could match his dance skills, and thats with ABSOLUTELY NO professional training. MJ is music. Its MICHAEL JACKSON........................................... .............................................. then everyone else.

All that, and he still managed to be the most humble of celebrities.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,325 times
Has MJ ever been dubbed America's Poet Laureate? or a pre-eminate poet/lyricist songwriter of his time? Has one or more of MJ songs been featured in 69 movies during the last 40 years? No, those honors are for Bob Dylan. His music filled the gap of rock n roll, country and folk. He had a message in his music about the times at hand, the government, drug culture and the spirit of the era. A real message, not just Beat It. Bob Dylan is the greatest musician of our time.

Bob Dylan far outshines Michael Jackson if for no other reason because he is still alive n kickin. Michael was amusement and choreography, and actually I think Fred Astaire danced better.

Michael Jackson didn't have vitiligo, that is a skin disease in the tropics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music