Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:51 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
15 or 14, married or dating its still inappropriate.
Depends on what part of the country (or world) you are in. I myself think that age is too young, but some don't.

Quote:
I take it you've seen the EDITED version on MJ's interviews. He said he didnt INVITE them, they followed him. Plus, he said he sleeps on the floor. also, Laying unconsciously in the same room does not automatically= molestation.
Yeah, "he said." Is that why his bedroom door was locked when he was in it with his playmates?

Quote:
MJ was the best.
That is your opinion. I prefer Elvis and others, like Nat King Cole and Johnny Mathis.

Quote:
Elvis and the beatles never came close... he broke more records than any other artist, he has the record for having the most records, he has the record for selling more albums than ANYONE. he's the artist of the millenium, nobody could match his dance skills, and thats with ABSOLUTELY NO professional training. MJ is music. Its MICHAEL JACKSON........................................... .............................................. then everyone else.
Elvis has sold more records than MJ.

Quote:
All that, and he still managed to be the most humble of celebrities.
Not sure if he was the most humble. Most weird, very likely.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
If you can write as well as sing, of course you've got something a little bit extra. It doesn't denigrate Elvis Presley as a singer that he wasn't a songwriter.

Thats a cop out-a lil extra? Elvis may have been a good singer. But the fact he didnt write or create puts him out of conversations with people who were mega star artist-Mike.stevie.prince etc. He is out of his league

Debatable, and probably more a matter of individual taste than anything else. They were both great singers.

They were both great singers, but only one of the two was an artist

You are now talking beyond your competence. Remove the compositional factor from Michael Jackson and he still would have had to work just as hard to make his records. Elvis Presley or any singer worth his or her salt doesn't just waddle into a studio, warble, and that's that. You don't just wander in and nail it. There's a lot of work to put in before the recording switch is flipped.

No people like elvis gets hits and melodies handed to them by real artist. Ghost writers make a lot of money elvis must have made a couple people into millionares i guess. Its different when you have to work hard to prove that you can make a hit record on your own right. Thats common sense

Mike dangling his baby was far less tasteful than anything I did or didn't say. Even he knew how stupid it was.

You said him dieng was a good CAREER MOVE . Lmao thats absurd. What does mike even have to do with what you said and came out your mouth. Im trying to understand the connection?

But if you're really going to judge art according to its commerce, as opposed to its aesthetic, then try asking yourself this: Michael Jackson may have fired off the most number one singles from a single album, but he never held the top five singles chart positions in the same week. Only one artist ever pulled that one off. And before you dismiss it as a product of mere hype, be reminded that no less than the vice president of this artist's record company nailed it good and cold: There was a lot of hype. But all the hype in the world isn't going to sell a bad product.

I think thriller had like the whole album in billboard 100 at one point. The bad album has the most numbers. There is nothing elvis did as impressive as selling 104 million copies WITH ONE ALBUM. That is a symbolism of mikes power and the defining factor of how huge he was. Elvis and the beatles could not have done that. Thats why comparing the hysteria is ridiculous. All of these statistics are meaningless and unimpressive in comparison

The artist: The Beatles, who not only had the top five selling singles in the United States for the week of 4 April 1964 but had twelve singles listed on Billboard's top one hundred sellers of the week. Nobody had accomplished that feat before and nobody's done it since.

There was a point where thriller was selling a million copies a week. Nuff said and more impressive. I can keep it short and simple

. . . )
This^ Also lol at the other guy trying to justify the elvis-priscilla relationship.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:56 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Has MJ ever been dubbed America's Poet Laureate? or a pre-eminate poet/lyricist songwriter of his time? Has one or more of MJ songs been featured in 69 movies during the last 40 years? No, those honors are for Bob Dylan. His music filled the gap of rock n roll, country and folk. He had a message in his music about the times at hand, the government, drug culture and the spirit of the era. A real message, not just Beat It. Bob Dylan is the greatest musician of our time.

Bob Dylan far outshines Michael Jackson if for no other reason because he is still alive n kickin. Michael was amusement and choreography, and actually I think Fred Astaire danced better.

Michael Jackson didn't have vitiligo, that is a skin disease in the tropics.
I was going to do a drawn out post. But simply

1.Stevie wonder is better than bob dylan
2. Mj has recieved songwriting awards and more awards than bob dylan period
3.Off the wall> any bob dylan album

finally: there shall be no other further disputes questioning mjs number one status as the greatest dancer.

Show me range like this with james or astaire

YouTube - Michael Jackson's Dance Range

Old 06-09-2010, 08:03 PM

18,123 posts, read 11,756,270 times
Yes, You're right Mr.Redd, everything mentioned outside of MJ's MUSIC ability or talent is irrelevant.

I mean does it really matter what skin color he was or what clothing he wore? No, it doesn't. I still don't understand why posters keep throwing up garbage unrelated to his MUSIC aspect. scratching head Every celebrity has garbage spewed. Please don't discuss non-musical related topics here. OK?

The truth is, I like MJ. I've watched him grow from J5 to independent adult. I really love his dancing ability and his videos. His private life should be kept private but its not. Took me years to figure out how he managed to get white children. I didn't know or stay up to date with the latest. I learned about his children after his death. I watched his funeral all day and cried. Sad. Great talent and now its all just ..... vanished. I never liked Elvis. I did visit Graceland and his birth house while traveling cross county in a RV but this is non-related to this thread. I'm not taking either sides.

When the posters throw in his skin color, his children, his charges (molest) and other things, it just says they have nothing strong to contribute to the conversation. Post #116 - I'll leave it to show this point has been made and it won't go far.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:42 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Has MJ ever been dubbed America's Poet Laureate? or a pre-eminate poet/lyricist songwriter of his time? Has one or more of MJ songs been featured in 69 movies during the last 40 years? No, those honors are for Bob Dylan. His music filled the gap of rock n roll, country and folk. He had a message in his music about the times at hand, the government, drug culture and the spirit of the era. A real message, not just Beat It. Bob Dylan is the greatest musician of our time.

Bob Dylan far outshines Michael Jackson if for no other reason because he is still alive n kickin. Michael was amusement and choreography, and actually I think Fred Astaire danced better.

Michael Jackson didn't have vitiligo, that is a skin disease in the tropics.
Bob Dylan, i dont know anything about the man, so I cant speak on it.
But one thing i do know is, MJ's songs had a real message, not just Beat.
Heal the world
Black or White
Man in the Mirror
Gone too soon
Earth song
They dont care about us.

MJ's cover of "Come together" was a hell of alot better than john lennon's

No other artist can bring people from every corner of the globe together more than MJ.

He was HELL OF A LOT Better than fred astaire, james brown, gene kelly, elvis, prince. Just check the videos: Smooth Criminal, Motown 25's Billie jean, his Dancing machine performances when we was a kid, the WHOLE Victory and BAD tours. Nobody was as smooth as MJ, the way he danced, u would think it was special effects. People cry and faint at the sight oh his glove (videos to prove that too). He is the KING. Nobody has had a bigger influence on music than MJ.

Your Vitiligo statement, was too silly to even respond to, so i wont even waste my time.

Last edited by 2goldens; 06-09-2010 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: Thats right! - see the RED

Old 06-09-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
All that dancing he did, and all u saw was him grabbing his crotch.
Elvis couldnt dance to save his life.
Elvis was a very good dancer.
He even made the list of best dancers in the Book of Rock Lists.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Elvis was a very good dancer.
He even made the list of best dancers in the Book of Rock Lists.
I can name quite a few people that are better than Elvis.

Nobody is better than Michael Jackson. He had to teach choreographers certain steps because they we're so difficult. Jeffrey Daniels showed Mike a couple of steps, mike was a hell of a lot smoother than Jeffrey Daniels. On stage? Dont get me started, you can tell alot of what he does is not rehearsed, it just happens. He is the only person i can honestly say, danced INSIDE the music, rather than dancing TO the music. You cant teach that, it's a god given talent.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
I can name quite a few people that are better than Elvis.

Nobody is better than Michael Jackson. He had to teach choreographers certain steps because they we're so difficult. Jeffrey Daniels showed Mike a couple of steps, mike was a hell of a lot smoother than Jeffrey Daniels. On stage? Dont get me started, you can tell alot of what he does is not rehearsed, it just happens. He is the only person i can honestly say, danced INSIDE the music, rather than dancing TO the music. You cant teach that, it's a god given talent.
Once again, your opinion.
Opinion does not equal fact.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Once again, your opinion.
Opinion does not equal fact.
Who can you honestly say is a better dancer than MJ??? With a straight face.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:51 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
See thats the thing, this whole topic is arbitrary and subjective; but arbitrary meets absolute truth when a consensus is reached among the majority. I would say that the best chance that Elvis or anyone else had of obtaining a consensus of favoritism from the masses is the isolated iconization from Americans. But globally there is no question that MJ held a near pharaonic status to far more people internationally than did Elvis (Michael Jackson had the number one selling record worldwide, not just in the U.S., - and has won more awards than anyone other singer in history.). In such matters of subjectivity, that would be a true majority consensus of whose talent is upheld as the greatest.

Last edited by solytaire; 06-10-2010 at 01:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music