Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 AM

8 posts, read 40,329 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are considering moving to Myrtle Beach area from Washington D.C. area. can someone please tell me the best schools districts for High school and Colleges in the area ?

Can you also please give me your opinions on LIKES and DISLIKES of Myrtle Beach ?

I appreciate all your opinions and advice THANKS !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:13 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,333 times
I had done extensive research on the schools a couple years ago when we had planned to move to MB (it didn't work out). The schools that I found that I liked best, and which seemed to be the best for my family, were (not in any particular order): St. James, Socastee, Carolina Forest (all Horry County), and Waccamaw (Georgetown County). I did not research colleges, but I've heard good things about Coastal Carolina University. Good luck to you!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:24 AM

540 posts, read 1,678,852 times
There are no good high schools in this area. Heard Socastee was the best if you HAD to live here. My sister lives in the DC area and I know her schools are better than ours. Why do you want to move here? Any particular reason? Education can't be one of them, cause NO ONE moves here for that!

Likes: Fall and spring weather. Mild, somewhat still like summer, but not as hot.
Dislikes: Education, backwards politics with 0 signs of progression, congested roads and unfinished highways, traffic from tourists, no culture (museums, etc).

Old 08-31-2010, 01:08 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
There are no good high schools in this area. Heard Socastee was the best if you HAD to live here. My sister lives in the DC area and I know her schools are better than ours. Why do you want to move here? Any particular reason? Education can't be one of them, cause NO ONE moves here for that!

Likes: Fall and spring weather. Mild, somewhat still like summer, but not as hot.
Dislikes: Education, backwards politics with 0 signs of progression, congested roads and unfinished highways, traffic from tourists, no culture (museums, etc).
+1

Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 PM

61 posts, read 213,719 times
For anyone thinking of Socastee HS as being a good school, last year there was a study done by WPDE I believe, one of the great things about Socastee HS is that if your child goes there they have the distinction of attending the school with the worst STD rating in the state! In all honesty, everyone talks about how great Carolina Forest Schools are, and while they are good, they are also the "model" schools in the district! There are other schools in the area that score better on PACT tests than Carolina Forest does. The best schools test wise and learning wise are in the country in the Aynor area, they are usually some of the highest ranking on the AYP ratings and are great schools!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,333 times
Randredge's post reminds me that I had seen that Green Sea-Floyds high school got a bronze, silver or gold award in some national thing having to do with quality of education, but at the moment I can't remember what it was.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post

Totally agree with this - except for the congested roads - I am from NJ so traffic was a daily thing where I lived! I so dislike the schools here and never realize how different they could be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area