Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,592 times

Advertisements

I spent the longest year of my life between 8 and 10pm on Monday nite, forced to watch a tv show, at a volume that would have violated MB's motorcycle laws, that surely must have been written by a band of pubescent girls OD'ed on hormones and spanish fly. I have seen an awfully lot of bad television in my time, but The Bachelor was, without any doubt whatsoever, the worst crap I have ever seen. The concept is beyond stupid, and the dialogue would insult anyone over 4 years old. Why any company with any degree of self-esteem would sponsor this stuff is a mystery beyond all comprehension. I'm not looking for personal confessions, but what type of audience, other than my mother-in-law, watches garbage like this

(note: I mentioned MB, so it's ok to post this, isn't it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
LOL!! A lot of woman watch it of all ages. I used to watch it up until 3 or 4 seasons ago and it is ridiculous but I would get hooked in. There are a lot of shows just as stupid on tv these days and I have to think it's not helping with the fact that our country already has an education problem. Young people watch these shows, think people on them are cool (Jersey Shore, Kardashians etc..) when all they are famous for are being drunk, sleeping around and acting like fools. That being said, Jersey Shore cracks me up....don't know if it's because I'm from NJ and hung out in all the places they show or what. The Bachelor for me was seeing who doesn't get selected because I like competition. After seeing way too many girls cry over a guy they just met, I couldnt take it anymore. It's almost degrading in a way. MB weather has been great! I mentioned MB too!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:44 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,803 times
LOL ... no confessions here, I don't watch it, but from the status updates from my friends on facebook I would have to say I know many that do (all female). Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this a show where a bunch of women vie for a man's attention? If I am understanding it correctly, who would be on this show is even more perplexing than who would watch it. What self-respecting woman (or man if it were in reverse) would do this? The goal is to be "chosen", from among many, to live happily ever after with "the bachelor" The bachelor gets to date (if we can call it that) a bunch of women at one time, while the women remain hopeless devoted to just this one fella Do I have this right? The thought of women setting themselves up for that is revolting in itself, but putting that aside, HOW THE HECK DO THEY KNOW THEY EVEN WANT HIM? .... They would be better off just heading to Myrtle Beach

Old 02-16-2011, 04:55 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
Of the 10,000 shows available on cable TV, I watch maybe 12. I like Nova, Nature, some other PBS shows, House Hunters (some episodes I don't watch), American Pickers, the news, CNN and that is about it.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:12 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
I have never watched this show intentionally, but I work the evening shift in a skilled nursing facility, so I am forced to watch it from time to time when I am in a room giving a patient their meds or doing a dressing change or something and they have it on. My take on it is that I have never seen a more immature, narcissistic, self-absorbed bunch of twits in my life. This show makes "American Idol" look like brain surgery, seriously. It reminds me of all of the people that I have known of over the years who are so absorbed in how they will look at their wedding and how big of a ring they have that they kinda tend to forget that they are entering into a marriage, which, by its very definition is not at all about being narcissistic and self-serving. I give anyone who meets on this show five years or until whenever their fifteen minutes of fame runs out, tops, before they are going through the big "D". This doesn't even qualify as brain candy, more like brain crumbs. Ugh.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,770 times
Don't forget Trista and Ryan - married however many years and with at least two kids. Trista was a contestant on The Bachelor and then became the first Bachelorette and chose her guy and they have lived happily ever after - so far.

That being said, I don't watch these shows. I don't watch any reality shows. I am aware of them and from what I see on commercials and passing snippets when somewhere that is showing one, I just shake my head and thank the good Lord that I have a "normal" life with a loving family that is also "normal" (whatever "normal" may be) - LOL!!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times
A lot of these people go on the shows for their "15 minutes" so it's not always about winning the guy. I have seen many girls leave crying though and I don't get it. I've dated people for a year and didn't cry when we broke up and they cry after one date.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
Don't forget Trista and Ryan - married however many years and with at least two kids. Trista was a contestant on The Bachelor and then became the first Bachelorette and chose her guy and they have lived happily ever after - so far.

That being said, I don't watch these shows. I don't watch any reality shows. I am aware of them and from what I see on commercials and passing snippets when somewhere that is showing one, I just shake my head and thank the good Lord that I have a "normal" life with a loving family that is also "normal" (whatever "normal" may be) - LOL!!
You're right, but I think that Trista and Ryan are the exception to the rule. I have seen interviews and magazine articles about them and they seem to be fairly grounded in their values and pretty down to earth. Most of the girls and guys on these shows seem like nothing more than bimbos who are into promoting themselves and proving that they are hotter than their competition and ready to be the next big thing in Hollywood. Not exactly a firm foundation for lasting love.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
A lot of these people go on the shows for their "15 minutes" so it's not always about winning the guy. I have seen many girls leave crying though and I don't get it. I've dated people for a year and didn't cry when we broke up and they cry after one date.
Drama = ratings. If they walk away going, "Meh, he wasn't that great anyway, and hey, don't I look great in a bikini?" then the gig is up and we discover that this show isn't really about finding true love as much as finding a modeling or acting contract, which would get boring.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
Don't forget Trista and Ryan ...
Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area