Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 04:20 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times

Advertisements

The company I work for is soon expanding to the Pawley's Island area, and I'm leaning toward a transfer. Well, "leaning" enough that I just returned from a weekend of exploring PI and the surrounding area. I guess this isn't so much a "tell me about housing/weather/etc." thread so much as a "am I understanding what I saw?" thread.

For example: There are tons of "vacation" condos and houses, but it looked like very few "long-term rentals" available (I'm not looking to buy yet). Is it pretty much understood that you have to live some distance away and drive there, or did I just not dig deeply enough? Murrell's Inlet and G-town is probably "close enough" when you don't plan on spending more than $800 a month on a rental, but I would like to think there are more options than just Litchfield Oaks (nice though it is). The rental companies I visited on Ocean Highway (Litchfield, Dieter, Lachicotte, Smith) all said they always had new listings popping up, but I've been monitoring their listings for over a month and saw very little movement.

Also, I didn't really get a grasp of "True Blue" condos, which I saw listed in the classifieds as having a few empties. Is that a "traditional" condo complex, or is it a type of timeshare place for vacationers?

I stayed at Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort (fab-oo, BTW) and the ability to walk to the beach was enticing to say the least. Are there public beaches that are easily accessible, or are they all built up/partitioned off like the beach near LB&R? Where I am currently there is a public beach, but between the lack of parking and high parking rates I rarely go.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm not 100% sold on the move, but visiting PI surely did tip the scales in favor of transferring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
Hey Daniel - Having had the pleasure of visiting Savannah on several occasions, you've got a tough call ahead of you. I know Savannah has its share of tourists, but PI is a small town with a lot of tourists. It has its upsides, but it definitely also has its downsides. Summers around here can wear you down after awhile.

Rentals - I'm surprised you didn't get better responses from the RE agencies. Sounds like they were holding out for a possible sale. The housing market is responsible for having quite a few rentals in established neighborhoods, the most I can recall in a long time. I'm not sure the best way to go about finding them. The Coastal Observer has several listed.

True Blue - A mix of permanent residents, along with units bought strictly as vacation rental properties. Probably more of the latter than the former. Not a timeshare in the true sense. They're popular with groups of golfers coming down to play the local courses.

Beaches - Litchfield Beach & Golf is nice, isn't it? All of SC's beaches are public, it's just the access that's private. The beaches on the island of PI are very popular, but parking is a real problem, particularly during Summer. The largest parking area on the island is at the South end but it can fill up quickly on Summer weekends. Parking anywhere other than authorized marked spaces is pretty well guaranteed to end up being expensive. We buy an annual car pass to Huntington Beach State Park ($30?). It's about 5 minutes north of Litchfield B&G. IMO, it's the best beach on the Grand Strand, relatively uncrowded, no highrises, plenty of parking etc. It's what a beach is supposed to look like and sure beats the hassle of the "free" beaches. There are a few other places with free but very limited parking.

HTH a little. Several other PI residents are on here pretty often. Let us know if you have questions.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
My sister is moving to MB this summer and has already had some issues with property managers.

Her husband has been laid off for a long time and he was offered a job down there with good pay and benefits and grabbed it.

We grew up as kids going to MB and as adults our kids all have had great memories in MB.

This area has so much to offer someone thus when the job came up to him they grabbed it without even any hesitation.

Now I might have a place to bunk out for a long weekend!!!!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks, PD--I actually went in and bookmarked Coastal Observer when you cited it for someone else on here a few months back--Yes, someone actually goes back and reads the back-threads!
I'm one of these people who has to over-research and over-analyze everything, so when I make up my mind, I want to feel I made the most educated decision.

Savannah is more of a year-round tourist destination these days, so I'm curious as to what the "tourist cycles" are there. Since one of the advantages of transferring "might" be a slower workplace (I say "might" because no one really can predict how things will shake out), I'd welcome slow periods interspersed with more hectic times. If things stay on schedule with the higher-ups and the construction plans, I'd have to move there by the beginning of June, ready to open by Independence Day--which might put us right in the middle of The Golfer Invasion, right? Heh. My HR lady has been bugging me for a month to make a decision (actually, it was more like "p*** or get off the pot"), so a delay in opening might actually be a blessing in disguise. I do some of my best reading on the pot!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I'm curious as to what the "tourist cycles" are there...
Don't ya' luv it when the HR folks, whose only involvement is to check it off their list, wants to rush life-changin' decisions...

At one time not so long ago, the tourist season here was clearly defined as Memorial Day to Labor Day. Over the years, it has expanded to include the period between Jan 1 until Dec 31. Summer is still the busiest and very much a family thing, particularly in PI. Hwy 17 is really the only main drag in PI and stays slammed all summer. Anyone visiting Myrtle Beach who wants to take a day trip to Chasn, or vice versa, must drive 17, which adds to all the local traffic. The big golfer season is early-mid Spring, then another one in the Fall, both driven primarily by groups of northern golfers escaping the snow. Summer is actually low season for many courses, reflected in their rates. In winter, the snowbirds flock en masse, often spending a few months. The traffic is a little lighter then, but all of it is located in the passing lane, proceeding at about 15 mph below the speed limit. For the restaurants, it's definitely the season of the early-bird.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 AM

Y'know, that sounds about like what I imagined. Esp. the snails in the fast lane. As a confirmed left-lane dweller, it's something else to consider.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:28 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
Daniel, I think you'd like Pawleys. It is close enough to Myrtle Beach that you can get some excitement at the clubs & restaurants but far enough that you don't have to endure it on a daily basis. Charleston is about an 1:20 ride & pretty easy highway travel. We head down there for museums or other entertainment. We were just there last weekend for a concert at the Coliseum.

You should have no problem finding a rental around PI. You may even consider a house. There are plenty of people who have not been able to sell & are renting meanwhile. I would recommend condo rentals at Egret Run, Da Gullah Way & the apartments across from Pawleys Island Presbyterian Church (can't remember the name). True Blue is OK, somewhat vacation-transient like PD said. Personally, I would steer away from Algonquin Apts & Litchfield Oaks Apts.

Since opinions are so subjective, I have to say that since I come from NYC that traffic is a cake-walk here, even during the summer. Pawleys Dude has been here since the horse covered wagons, so paving the roads & building bridges were a bad thing to him.

I have been in Savannah twice in the past few months (including St Patrick's Day). Great town with some great restaurants & bars but it is a small city with city issues. (crime, traffic, etc)

May I ask, is your job with the new supermarket opening?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
...Pawleys Dude has been here since the horse covered wagons, so paving the roads & building bridges were a bad thing to him.
Careful, I resemble that remark! Another problem 'round here is that you can't get no respect from all these young whippersnappers. Besides, it was a very nice wagon and paving the roads just brought more tourists...

Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
May I ask, is your job with the new supermarket opening?
Yes, I am a department head at the Savannah location, and looking to escape (um, transfer). The corporate people have thrown me for a loop this week, claiming that I might have to take a pay cut to transfer because apparently I make too much money? Who knows, they are "looking into it" (my guess is they want someone cheaper). As much as I love PI and the surrounding area, that might be the deal-breaker. I'm more than willing to move to make the same $$ I am now, but a cut?
Quote:
I would recommend condo rentals at Egret Run, Da Gullah Way & the apartments across from Pawleys Island Presbyterian Church (can't remember the name). True Blue is OK, somewhat vacation-transient like PD said. Personally, I would steer away from Algonquin Apts & Litchfield Oaks Apts.
I'm still in "search and discover" mode even if the higher-ups are pulling last-minute stunts, so thanks for the suggestions. I have seen a few new listings pop up on realty sites this weekend, so I'm more optimistic that I won't have to move to a big complex (with the accompanying noise, doggy-doo, and limited parking).

And y'know, if I still had that covered wagon, looking for an apartment would be a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area