Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 12:28 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia561 View Post
DH and I are hoping to move within the year, but aren't sure yet which part of town. Going to visit within a few weeks and wondering if anyone can recommend a good realtor to show us around? We've been to MB several times over the years and have done casual drives through different areas, but have no idea which area would be best for us.

Currently in Norther NJ and looking to get away from high taxes and horrible winters!

I know a couple of excellent realtors. Will send you a private message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 12:58 PM

52 posts, read 103,484 times
Thank you Vrexy! Will check them out!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Default You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia561 View Post
Thank you Vrexy! Will check them out!

I hope you find a good fit with a realtor and a perfect place to live.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 AM

7 posts, read 15,792 times
I would think not as there are so many restaurants here. Also if you are coming in 6 months during the winter months that should be a good time to find one .. we were here in Feb/March and saw many help wanted signs then.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:33 PM

145 posts, read 359,201 times
Default Welcome to the Newcomers and Hopefuls to MB thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteTech View Post
Hey conrads89! It's interesting to see someone else from the area move to MB!

I live southeast of Harrisburg and I am considering moving to Myrtle Beach. I was born and grew up in Central PA and I'm ready to get outta here! I'm 28 and looking for my next career move. Every summer growing up I went to MB on a family vacation, so I'm a big fan. I was just down there in Easter and fell in love even more! If I can find a good job down there that pays the right amount, I will go. I have cousin's moving down there early next year from North Carolina.

The main thing I'm worried is that I wouldn't be able to find someone to pay me what I need, even at my minimum requirement. You know, the point where you can't go any lower in order to make the move worth it. Well anyway, just wanted to share my plan.

I'm currently considering anywhere in the 48 states! I'm single, no kids, and nothing holding me back. So even in this economy, I'm hoping to find my next big adventure. This site is helping me with research too!
I lost track of your name on this screen, but anyway, City-data.com is great. I don't know what I'd do without it! I started this thread several months ago to help myself as well as others who are transplants to or considering moving to the MB area. I'm hoping this thread can continue permanently and "spin off" to a local physical group as well. Anyone else interested in the group is welcome (all are welcome). Anyone who wants to start the physical group -- good luck and I hope I will be welcome to join. I think MB cost of living is lower than in Harrisburg area -- I know it's less than my current area of Philly/South Jersey. I check back to this thread as often as I can, but not as often as I'd like lately. If you learn anything interesting, let us know.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Magnafan View Post
OK. We did it. We put in an offer on an oceanfront condo in the north seventies. We won't be living there full time, but it is a foot in the door of wonderful South Carolina.

The details are being ironed out.

One thing. My auto is a 2011 Canadian Spec Honda. I could save a lot of money by acquiring a SC drivers licence, registering my car in SC and insuring it there. It sounds easy until the EPA and U.S. Customs become involved. This importation may be as simple as filling out an EPA form--or not. Does anyone know for sure?
V65Magna...., I don't know about the international law involved, but I'm wondering if they go by your main residence, or any residence for your state driver's license. Hopefully you can get the SC license if it will help and once you're living there part time, I don't foresee a problem.

Please let us know if you get the condo. Good luck!

I have been so short on time, but trying to answer everyone I can, whenever I can.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:34 PM

36 posts, read 138,809 times
MSG: Here's the answer in case any other northern types are thinking what I was thinking.

My car is financed by Honda Finance. They expect the car to remain in Canada most of the time. Or, I pay off the loan. At 0.9%, this is not going to happen.

The short sale figure was allegedly bank approved. Somewhere, some feet seem to be dragging. This is rather annoying to me, and most likely the seller, too.

BTW, for those of you in MB. All the luck in the world with Irene. I guess you will be a bit busy prepping.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrads89 View Post
Hey NiteTech! You are in Hburg just north of where we are from ( I worked for the state several years when I graduated high school in 1971 haha) I would suggest you check on craigs list and sites I am sure you know about like indeed.com and monster.com and see what jobs may be available. That is one thing people say that if you come from another state you may not be able to find a job here in that field and/or the pay will be less. I dont know really. My husband retired.. I am not that old yet hehe but will look for any type of part time job as I am done with a career job. You are in the same shoes as my daughter. She is living (when she ever leaves MB) in Burbank and looking for a job there as she loves CA but if she cant find a job then she will need to look elsewhere in the 50 states. Its a challenge for sure. Its nice that you young adults are open being single and can do this! We love it here and I hope since you fell in love again that you can find something.. check the local online papers too?? Anyone we have asked says they moved here and do not regret it and would never go back to where they came from haha I sure will not miss PA winters..cold and snow! We still have family and our house is still not sold in PA so we will have to go back at times.. Let me know how you make out.. email/private message me.
Conrads89, I'm a bit curious about the Waynesboro and Gettysburg areas since I lived in both. Hope your house sells soon. I am related to the Gourley/Knepper family. I graduated HS in 1970 but not in Waynesboro. Waynesboro was my dad's home town. I can't believe so many on this thread are from Harrisburg and it's "suburbs". I suppose the other Philly people are happy enough here, but I need to get rid of the cold winters and I need SAFE public transportation service. I heard the new local bus in MB runs only every hour but if the population keeps increasing, maybe ridership will also. My friends live inland from MB so they take the bus to MB rather than deal with the vacationers all the time. Thanks for returning to this thread even though you are settled in MB. This is what I was hoping for -- "regulars" on this thread (other than me).

Old 08-23-2011, 03:53 PM

Default Welcome to the Newcomers and Hopefuls to Myrtle Beach thread! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack/213* View Post
My husband I and want to relocate to MB next year. What are the best areas to live in for safety/economical rents/quality of life? Is it really as hard to find a job at MB as I have been reading on the posts.
Jack213, I can't answer your questions, but my household will be looking for economical rents and safety also. If you can't find a job in the tourist industry, maybe something in Conway or another town not far from MB. Employment is such a big issue for people in our situation, especially any place not in or near a large city. Please keep us posted with your progress regarding preparation for your relocation.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Default Welcome to the Newcomers and Hopefuls to Myrtle Beach thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaheis View Post
Husband and I have a vacation condo now but are building our retirement home. Two years out. Originally from PA, we've been in SC for over ten years. There's a lot to like about the area. We have met MANY northeasterners who have migrated to the area and I haven't heard any regrets. If you havent vacationed here, I'd suggest you start there.

Good Luck!
Lindah...., Thanks for your encouragement to all of us who are hoping to make the move. My mom and I visited MB in the 1960's. I know that doesn't count. LOL! But our best friends have had a vacation home there for years and relocated this summer. They write to us and send postcards, newspapers and books with homes for sale/rent. We need a place near the ocean without the freezing cold all winter, with a low cost of living, and crime that's lower than Florida's. Originally, we researched Louisiana, because I wanted a community property state. Too much flooding and crime --no actual beach. Next, another cp state -- Washington, but we all got a bleak, downer vibe from the area, especially from the newspaper. I don't know anyone in GA, FL or NC. Also, I can't stay long in a place without safe public transportation. I used to know people in Atlanta, but it's too far inland. I really like MB even though I have not been there in many years. I do remember high rises during my vacation there and I know it's built up much more since then. Portland would be my next choice, as the public trans. is pretty important to me, but I think MB will do it for me. We are going to rent first -- short-term rental preferred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area