Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 PM

145 posts, read 359,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryandtony View Post
Just found this thread....We SOLD our home in NJ (in 3 weeks!!!) and are visiting Myrtle now to look for a long term rental...we are renting in NJ while we look and I'm am anxious to move down. We are looking in the North Myrtle (cherry grove area) or Little River....if anyone has any ideas please let me know. 3BR/2B w/ a garage (if possible)...of course close to beach would be nice.
Congrats on selling your home! Perhaps you have some pointers for the rest of us trying to sell ours, since you were so successful.

Did you see the post earlier in the thread with the links to info about the area? Also I have a copy of "Real Estate Weekly" sent by my friend which has a section called "Rental Finder". I think it's part of the Sun News local newspaper. The first page is a chart, giving rental companies and what looks like current specifics available by each. No areas given other than MB generally, most have Horry County school district. I can list some of the names and contact info if you'd like. Any rental agency/company for residential should be able to help. Wish I could be of more assistance but perhaps someone else on the MB section could help. Sometimes it's good to start your own thread with a question this specific.

Happy home-hunting and hope you keep us posted with your progress and any other news.

Anyway, if interested in a physical group in MB that's mainly for newcomers, let me know and I'll put you on my list.

Happy home-hunting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 PM

Default Nice to see you back....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam34 View Post
I can't help but notice how this thread took off...So, I'm going to have to delay my move unfortunately. Selling my house, and finding a job is becoming much like a super huge job in itself. I'm planning a trip sometime in September to scout out a bit, but looks like the actual move will be going on hiatus...
cam34, Well, it's great you're able to make a trip there soon! Wish I was -- say hi to MB for me. Hehe! Hope you can put out some feelers that will lead to a job.
For us, nothing is happening, but that was expected. My husband has become disabled and is applying for SS disability. In fact, a lot of the reason I don't get here often is because I'm his main caregiver. But if you have to be disabled, better to get extra money as a result than gain nothing at all, right? If he is granted the disability, hopefully we can make the move soon after. I'm saying soon after rather than as soon as the house sells, because I don't know when my husband will be in condition to make any move. He's been fighting us on getting a live-in housekeeper/caregiver but maybe he will come around. If the person can make the move with us, that would help, as none of the three of us are all that able-bodied :/ Ah well...
Let us know how you made out with the trip and anything else interesting you'd like to share.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 PM

Default This loooong thread....

Forgot to add, I've been trying to keep it alive and so far it's working. The main thing is that there is always a venue here for support and info for "newcomers and hopefuls" -- a place that can be relied on, where you can reach the same people over time, as new ones come along also. Also I am gathering names for the future physical group, so I think this thread is going to accomplish substantially.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:39 PM

Default Cam34 and TNKY "MB Hopeful 'Twins'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
You ain't alone. Been trying for 3 years to sell, lowering the price over and over. Had a job lined up, but it's long gone now. So lucky me gets to "enjoy" yet another 100+ inches of snow this winter. Here's hoping both of us get that miracle we need to escape.
TNKY, looks like you both are trying at the same time, ready to move as soon as your homes sell and you get jobs. My problem is that my home is not yet ready to put on the market, due to running out of current budget for badly needed remodeling. It's weird because our curb appeal is really good from the road, but once you get on the property and see how neglected the landscaping really is, we're not likely to get anyone through the door. Hehe! As I mentioned earlier, none of this is any surprise to me though. Worst case scenario, we wait until my husband's social security begins in 4 years. UGH! However, he may be lucky to get his social security earlier due to his bad lumbar spine and arthritic shoulder. I'd rathern wait the 4 years and have him in better health though. He started to apply last month for disability. It all started with an emergency room trip in June with referred pain to his leg and ankle. :0

Anyway, it's gonna be at least one more winter where we're snowed in longer than anyone else around (because we may not have any way to get snow removal promptly). :0

This thread at least allows us a venue so we can share our suffering until we can get the (*&% out of where we are.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine12 View Post
Cam34 and TNKY, November will be 3 years for us trying to sell. We are on our third house down there being built. Luckily the builder will hold them for us as long as they can until they have to sell them, 2 have been sold and the third is under construction.....
Engine12, it must be really frustrating, not just the wait to sell but having to let the MB homes slip through your fingers! How does that work with holding the homes? Is the time limit the same for each home? If you sell and there is no new home being built at the current time, how long might you have to wait? I have never heard of holding a new home but what do I know?! Anyway, it's good it can be done.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 PM

Default 3, very similar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine12 View Post
Cam34 and TNKY, November will be 3 years for us trying to sell. We are on our third house down there being built. Luckily the builder will hold them for us as long as they can until they have to sell them, 2 have been sold and the third is under construction.....
Engine12, yes it's 3 of you who could possibly move down there any time you sell, and for at least 2 of you -- a job pops up. My waiting time could be as much as 4 years, but after that time, I don't think it would be too long -- just have to sell the house. We can sell it pretty cheap. Although it's not paid off, we will settle for much less profit than we wanted before the recession. So I think once we have our budget back, we will sell pretty fast. Nice area, big population, 10 minutes from almost everything, including movie complex a few blocks away. House near here was both for sale or rent for about 2 months. Looks like it sold because lots of remodeling is going on. Mom's here with me and has sold her 3 former homes in less than a week so hopefully she still has her touch and the recession won't throw her a curve.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:00 PM

Default Welcome to the Newcomers and Hopefuls to Myrtle Beach thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko11 View Post
We are looking at moving to the area within a year. If all goes well we plan on making several trips to the area to look and get a better feel for what we need to be looking at. Right now the schools is my top concern at this time.
Marko11, when do you plan to make the first trip? Have you ever visited MB? I wish I knew more about the schools, but I have no kids so I didn't give it any thought. Have friends down there who may shed some light on it but they too are newcomers (visited often in recent years though). If you don't get enough help from this thread, you can always venture out to another thread, but hope you come back here and keep us posted on what you discover.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 PM

Default Welcome to the Newcomers and Hopefuls to Myrtle Beach thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
My family might be moving from PA to Myrtle Beach area as well. Not 100% sure yet, we are going to be moving to SC and narrowed it down to Mt. Pleasant or Johns Island in Charleston, or MB(surrounding areas).

I have been to Charleston recently to look around but wife is really preferring MB, so we are going to stop for a day or 2 in November and check out some neighborhoods. We have been there a few times but never in a 'lets move here' mindframe.

It will probably come down to where she can find the best job though, and she needs to be licensed in the state we move so thats why we picked SC...there are the most options that we like, Charleston and MB are the top 2 but even Beaufort area or if all 3 fail, Columbia would be easy for her to find a job.
safak, I checked out Charleston too, before deciding to focus on MB. It was too expensive right in the city and we didn't know anyone there. My family had an army friend from MB and we made one visit in the 1960's on the way to a vacation in Florida. We loved it then, not the same as living there, but our friends who moved recently to MB had been visiting there often over the years and we have similar taste to theirs. We need a reasonable cost of living near the ocean. Rivers, etc. do not have the same effect for us. We are used to the NJ shore towns since we live in Philly and MB seems similar in some ways. I had a months subscription to the Columbia newspaper, the State and it seems like a nice place. I had a month's subscription to Olympia, WA, another area we considered, but I did not like the "vibe". Florida seemed too wild and too much crime and again, we don't know the area or anyone there. Good luck and post again with any progress info, k?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:12 AM

96 posts, read 168,691 times
movinsouthgal...yes please include me in the group. My house did sell very quickly-only pointers i can give are: check the comps and price accordingly (even if you think your house is worth more); do get rid of wallpaper (definately a thing of the past); fresh, neutral paint thru out; UNCLUTTER; we did take up the rugs and had the hardwood floors refinished...good luck to all. We are here in Myrtle until tomorrow then heading back to NJ. We have been looking for rentals and it looks like Little River (Hidden Lakes), Barefoot, or possibly Cherry Grove area. We will be back mid Oct to finalize.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:55 PM

Default About selling houses and the physical group

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryandtony View Post
movinsouthgal...yes please include me in the group. My house did sell very quickly-only pointers i can give are: check the comps and price accordingly (even if you think your house is worth more); do get rid of wallpaper (definately a thing of the past); fresh, neutral paint thru out; UNCLUTTER; we did take up the rugs and had the hardwood floors refinished...good luck to all. We are here in Myrtle until tomorrow then heading back to NJ. We have been looking for rentals and it looks like Little River (Hidden Lakes), Barefoot, or possibly Cherry Grove area. We will be back mid Oct to finalize.
terryandtony, You are now on the list for the physical group. We now have a small group (on paper) waiting, or possibly one of them started a group already. As far as I know, no one from this thread has started a group. Hopefully they will find the time to let us all know.

You are certainly a good example especially since you sold so quickly. Was your kitchen completely updated? Did it seem like one or two main factors sold the house? (I realize you'd probably have to get this info from the realtor or the owners themselves.) We're willing to let ours go for a lot less than we think it's worth. Funny thing is, I found out from someone at our mortgage co that Fanny Mae has my house valued (if that's the word) at $330,000 as of Nov. 2010, for what that's worth, but we'd let it go for 310,000. We just need a little something to take with us towards down payment or necessary "construction". We're trying to not feel like we just rented for the past 14+ years. (We put too much $$$ into remodeling because we had to pay almost 100% for labor everything cost so much more than we thought and husband does almost nothing around the house, and we're all partially disabled.) :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area