Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,112 times

Advertisements

OMG - I am in exactly the same situation. I moved from San Diego to a smaller city in Indiana. The same scenario. Nothing much to do, and all the meetups are right-wing, religious, or both. I get anxiety attacks imagining growing old here. I left for a great job, great pay and benefits, which really is amazing and for which I am grateful. But I gave up everything else including family and friends, I might as well be on the moon. Anyway, hang in there. You should only have 20 months left by now, I still have 22 to go! Lucky you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 PM

935 posts, read 1,648,778 times
so scotty as I watch this oregon cal game in the pouring rain, how you liking this weather today ? and the last few weeks ...

Old 10-13-2011, 08:46 AM

214 posts, read 649,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddaisie View Post
OMG - I am in exactly the same situation. I moved from San Diego to a smaller city in Indiana. The same scenario. Nothing much to do, and all the meetups are right-wing, religious, or both. I get anxiety attacks imagining growing old here. I left for a great job, great pay and benefits, which really is amazing and for which I am grateful. But I gave up everything else including family and friends, I might as well be on the moon. Anyway, hang in there. You should only have 20 months left by now, I still have 22 to go! Lucky you.
Yep I feel you im counting down the days untill my lease is over. In April im going to start applying for jobs back in the NW and hopefully some thing pops up before July. I could prob stick it out 2 years but my wife really is unhappy here so we may be gone at the end of our 1 year lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
so scotty as I watch this oregon cal game in the pouring rain, how you liking this weather today ? and the last few weeks ...

Actually the weather here has been better it has really cooled off (if you consider mid 70's "cooling off") and it has rained quite a bit which I like. I have never had a problem with weather in the NW I actually like it. My favorite seasons are fall and winter. Yes the rain gets bothersome on occasion but it never really bothered me........blazing heat while im doing a roof inspection, that bothers me.....along with all the nasty insects biting me.

I like how the person on the previous page said I must be a miserable person if I cant love that scenery lol To bad the 2 pictures are not what 99% of the area here looks like. If I could be on the beach at sunrise or stroll through Mc Clellenville all day long it probably would be pretty nice. Head on out to Jamestown or drive down hwy 31 and take some pictures for me.......ohhh or how about scenic Ladson lol Thats pretty much what I see every day

I had a pretty big feeling I was not going to like it here before I moved, if you read the topic im just looking for things to occupy my time to make it tolerable until I move home which many people have suggested some great ideas. Not caring for my job very much lately has probably made things worse but what are you going to do. You try something new and sometimes it doesnt work out the way you want so you just have to ride it out until you can change it.

Im actually going to a hockey game so that should be fun Went to Alligator adventure, fun! Also spent the day down in Charleston a couple weekends ago and that was fun. My wife is also planning a cruise which should be fun.

Do I like the weather, economy, culture, topography of the land, the people or many of their views here? Nope. Nothing I can do to change those things which is why I made a thread looking for fun things to do untill I can leave.

Last edited by Scotty Dosent Know; 10-13-2011 at 08:55 AM..

Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,994 times
That's ok, you don't have to like it here. Last year a friend said to me, "it's ok to change your mind and it's to say you made a mistake" when I was doing some of my own complaining. There's pros and cons everywhere. Some people dislike WA just like people dislike NJ where I'm from. You tried it, you had a new experience and you do what you have to do to be happy. I don't think anything is wrong with that.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:27 AM

35 posts, read 76,372 times
I’m in the process of moving down to Grand Strand area from the Boston area. I cannot wait and most of my family thinks I’m crazy; they would never leave the winters. I love the heat and I am extremely adaptable to new areas and people. With that being said, I totally understand that some people who live in colder climates do have a harder time with the culture change. Up here you have some people totally split on where they spend their spare time you either travel to Cape Cod which has similar topography to the southern Grand Strand area or you go to the Mountains. If you grew up in a big city and like the cold and winter sports, I can see where you would be pretty miserable living in any small town where its hot and humid and flat. My husband is having a hard time with the culture of the area but his love of fishing will help him through it. He really would have preferred Ashville NC or Southern Pines NC (the fishing won me the beach). Those are two areas you may enjoy visiting in the winter. Stay positive!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,542,575 times
I have lived in Cental NJ all my life (until now). I hate the cold. I hate dealing with snow and ice. There is nothing else about NJ I could not live with and plan to spend at least a couple of the summer months there.

As far as the "culture" goes. Our community in Murrells Inlet has almost no one from originally from SC or the South. So there is nothing to get use to.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:59 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
...As far as the "culture" goes. Our community in Murrells Inlet has almost no one from originally from SC or the South. So there is nothing to get use to.
Ahhhh, the perfect description of coastal SC. Leave behind the ice and snow, with little risk of being bothered by locals or their culture. Just pick from the multitude of gated yankee ghettos and it will seem just like home with heat & humidity...

Old 10-16-2011, 12:40 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,639 times
Default Funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Ahhhh, the perfect description of coastal SC. Leave behind the ice and snow, with little risk of being bothered by locals or their culture. Just pick from the multitude of gated yankee ghettos and it will seem just like home with heat & humidity...

One of the things I love the most about living here is that almost all of the people I know are native or very long time residents. I also love the no snow or ice, the warm sunny weather here and just about every single thing about SC. I do have a few fellow transplant friends, but they all seem to love it here like I do and for the same reasons.

I LOVE South Carolina!

Old 10-16-2011, 04:46 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,542,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Yup. Sad but true..... I'm here for the weather, not the culture (what ever that is).

Old 10-19-2011, 06:20 PM

145 posts, read 359,158 times
Default Figuring out WHY you're unhappy -- I think I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
Rapture: Dont think I will change my mind about the lakes/rivers here lol I have not met anyone here but I am not opposed to it, I suppose that would help. I do have my wife and dogs here to keep me company so its not like im all alone. I will have to browse meetup.com maybe there are some things that will get me out of the house.

I am more into sports activities though, to me sitting at a bar is pretty much the same as sitting at a beach just a wast of time :P

PawleysDude: I knew there were no winter sports here when I decided to move....I did honestly expect to like it here more than I do though. Point blank the only reason I am here though is because im making $40K more a year than I was back home and my wife's job pays well and is internet biased so she can still work here. I would have been dumb in this economy not to take the job especially with how cheap the cost of living is here.

Thanks for the suggestion of Kayaking I think that will end up being my activity of choice once it cools off a little bit. Being that my house is only a block or two from that salt marsh thing that may be a good place to start, I will have to check out "surf the earth" for a rental before I buy one.

I guess I possibly chose the wrong words when I sad "get involved" lol I am just not really into any of those activitys, various reasons for each one listed.

VREXY: You have me part right! lol Yes I hate meeting new people and I hate interacting socially with strangers. Especially with my job I have to meet new people every day, its awful. Atleast once a day I have contractors asking if I want to go out to lunch......people here are to say the least, annoyingly friendly.

On the other side of that though I would not call myself a loaner lol I am happily married! and have more friends that are into all the same things I am than I can even keep in touch with. If I have a hard time keeping in touch with all my good friends that I have known for the last 8-20 years why would I even bother trying to keep in touch with someone I have little to nothing in common with?

Honestly I know when you are away from something you tend to remember only the good (kind of like an ex....after you break up you think about the good and not all the fights) but the things I was unhappy about back home were pretty limited to job/money. The things I am unhappy about here are things like geography, temperature, general population, activitys, insects........nothing I can change. But like I said before I would be dumb to not take the money lol

Dlcamp: ................Im not trying to be mean but honestly preachy religious people are one of the reasons I dont like being down here. Call me narcissistic all you want but yes MY life is about ME. Im just trying to find an activity or two that will get me through the next couple years so I can better MY life with out going crazy.

As far as giving my time and money to others, yes that's a hard thing for me to do (besides family/friends because they reciprocate). I pride myself on being self sufficient whether its doing my taxes or remodeling my home so its hard for me to understand people that constantly need help.

P.S. im not religious.
ScottyDos...., I think I can relate to your problem, but I can't predict to any degree if you can find happiness while you're in "Myrtle". I too have certain needs that are very location-dependent. If I moved to an area just for a job, NOT considering my other needs and strong wants, there's about a 90% chance I would be unhappy there. This is because few areas meet my needs. It seems you miss the lakes and mountain sports so much that it affects your life quality. These seem like small things, but emotionally, they can matter a lot! I need friendly people and the beach, which I don't have in Philadelphia -- those sound unimportant in choosing an area, right? Well, for me this lack causes unhappiness. I'm wondering if it's really the lakes and mountain sports that's the problem. There is another way you can test it -- When you have some quiet time, just sit or lie down quietly and simply (maybe strangely too) imagine the same lakes and mountain sports being available in Myrtle, just as they are in Seattle. You can be specific if you want. You can imagine a lake where a park exists, or imagine a mountainous area with snow right outside of a populated area of Myrtle. If your imagination is this strong, this imagery should be the acid test. So you imagine Myrtle as it is, but with just the modification needed to put in what it lacks. (I'm a former hypnotherapist and therefore oriented to using imagery to help with emotional situations.) Maybe during this imagery session, other helpful ideas about your state of happiness/unhappiness will come to mind -- or perhaps shortly after.

Some people can be happy almost anywhere, as long as they have the basics, the things needed almost daily -- love, enough money, health, comfort, etc., but many cannot. Try the imagery and other activities as suggested in this thread to get to the bottom of your problem and I have a feeling once you've tried enough of them, you will decide once and for all IF you can be happy in Myrtle and just realizing yes or no will probably increase your happiness to some extent. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area