Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 AM

84 posts, read 391,878 times

Advertisements

Hey forum family

I have a few questions for anyone that may have lived, owns, or maybe has knowledge of homes built on stilts.

Other than the obvious that the water level would have to rise x amount of feet before your belongings got all wet,
what other benefits or drawbacks does this building design have over a slab, is it harder to heat or cool, less bugs,
is the cost higher or lower, is there more movement on the structure during storms, if so do you see more wall cracking.

I'm just trying to get views good or bad.

As the French would say, Gracias amigos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 02:59 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,648,500 times
A realtor friend of mine told me that the main reason they build these houses on stilts is because they take up less land. You park under the house instead of beside it in a garage. Makes sense to me when you look at how close some of them are and how small the lots are. Bugs climb and fly, so I don't think the height of the house would deter them. Same with squirrels and other rodent house invaders.

The other thing to consider about buying one of them is your own aging and ability to climb stairs, especially when carrying groceries, etc. Or, if you would break your leg or something. If I ever bought one, I would want an elevator also.

You might want to consider taking some French lessons, mon ami!

Old 10-29-2011, 04:00 PM

460 posts, read 983,975 times
Don't have a lot of experience with them, but I know of stilt homes that are 50+ years old and still going strong. If they are built well and maintained properly, they should last a long time.

Besides flood protection, being up on stilts also offers some protection against wave action. A large wave hitting the flat wall of a house, can cause it to totally collapse. Often, people build a room on the ground level below a stilt home, called a "blow out" room (for obvious reasons). And of course, the building codes in some areas may require a home to be built on stilts. Plus, there may also be some benefits when it comes to purchasing flood insurance.

And sometimes, stilts are your only option.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:24 PM

192 posts, read 491,523 times
When we built our home, local building codes had us build 6' up, went 8' so we could use the space underneath for parking. Yes the cost to build is much more expensive. Before the crash in the housing market we were being quoted $200 a sq ft to build, after the crash we were able to build for less then $150. Our post were sunk down 30' to bedrock, others in our area had to go as far as 80' down to reach bedrock. I have never felt any swaying, in fact it feels very solid.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:53 PM

84 posts, read 391,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripper View Post
Our post were sunk down 30' to bedrock, others in our area had to go as far as 80' down to reach bedrock. I have never felt any swaying, in fact it feels very solid.

80 feet down

Is there timber even that long, or are they pouring concrete posts, or ?

Old 10-30-2011, 02:02 PM

192 posts, read 491,523 times
They use metal rods encased in concrete, plus they strap your roof supports to the posts.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:55 AM

11,936 posts, read 12,993,985 times
Homes are built on stilts because in a flood zone you must be 17 feet above sea level.

They are built on wood pilings and concrete and rebar pilings. My house in Garden City Beach was the first home there built on pilings and it survived Hurricane Hugo. It was built in 1956.

All property by the beach must have the first floor to be break away.

FWIW, they aren't built because they take up less room. The zoning decides that and all property has a five foot set back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area