Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:11 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC4 View Post
I've been doing a lot of research, and I'm so torn! North Carolina, Wilmington area, sounds great! How do we decide??
You might try Sugar Mill it is off of Forestbrook Rd. Myrtle Beach ( Socastee area) and in a great non tourist location. They have a pool and dues are very low. Homes are varied styles and it is a relatively small community. Homes are on line for in the $150s on upwards. Some are four bedroom homes.
We drove in there today and saw some bikes and small kids toys here and there. So I'm sure it is full of families your age.
The location is up the street from my chiropractors office.
What I like about Forestbrook is that it can go to 544 or out to 501. This means you can have easy access to the Tanger Outlets also.
The Conway hospital is quite close, and the Wacamaw Hospital is not all that far away.
Its probably about 15 minutes or so to the beach taking the best route.
We love it here at the beach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 AM

44 posts, read 127,434 times
Thanks so much Summering, I'll have to check out Sugar Mill! We did drive up some of Forestbrook Rd and liked it over that way... seemed quieter.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,095 times
If you check out Sugar Mill, drive a little further down Forestbrook and look in The Park @ Forestbrook as well. That's where we built and we just love the neighborhood.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:09 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
If you check out Sugar Mill, drive a little further down Forestbrook and look in The Park @ Forestbrook as well. That's where we built and we just love the neighborhood.
Yes, they are both in the same area. I forgot to drive in there but it looks quite charming too and nicely placed away from the hub-bub.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 PM

CT I will be sure to check out The Park, as well!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,466 times
We considered MB, but when we went down there for vacation and started talking to the locals they all said it was a ghost town from October-April and everything shut down...how true is this?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 AM

108 posts, read 227,391 times
We moved here in December and i would hardly call it a ghost town. Still pleanty of restaurants open and things to do. The pace might be slower than the summer but there is something to be said in favor of that.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:34 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,095 times
Ghost town?....the locals they talked to must not get out much. Yes, there are a few restaurants that close for the winter but the majority are open year round. All of the major entertainment centers (Broadway at the Beach, Alabama Theatre, etc.) remain open all winter. There are a variety of local theaters with winter performances, a local winery has concerts with a bonfire on most saturdays and there are many other activities going on...you just have to look for them. Yes, many of the tourist summer activities are closed (Family Kingdom, Myrtle Waves, etc.) and yes, the streets are not nearly as crowded as the summer but, as a local, that's nice because I can drive on Ocean Blvd without stopping every 10 feet, I can go to a restaurant without waiting for an hour or more for a seat, I can go to the beach without paying parking and have a nice stroll without tripping over everyone, etc.

Of course, I guess if a person was 21 and looking for the level of activity that one would find in the summer, then I could see why the term "ghost town" would be used. But, I'm not 21 and haven't been for awhile now. ;-)

Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM

I actually like the fact that is will be "ghost town" for at least half of the year
I have another question, and please nobody take this the wrong way, as I do not want to offend anyone based on their age; as I read through different posts, I hear a lot about MB being an "older" town.. with most of the population being over 40. Now, yes 40 is still young but being 29 myself, and my husband being 31, will we have a hard time finding locals our age, who may share similar interests? Granted, we have 3 children so I'm not talking about bar hopping and such...

Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 AM

89 posts, read 251,826 times
Well, things slow down a bit during the winter months but not really to a ghost town..not anymore...the golfers and snowbirds are in abudance during those months...now I can pretty much guarantee someone here on this board will disagree with what I am about to say...but so be it...I calls them like I sees them!!!!
This area is getting to be the Florida of the south...meaning retirees are flocking here left and right....due to weather, cost of living...etc....if I were you, I would reconsider Wilimington...plan a trip to Wilmington and then decide...I wish so badly I would have decided to go to Wilmington myself...we are in our 40's....the city is alive and thriving...we go to just get that "city feeling" at least once a month....unfortunately my hubby is paid more here in the position he is in or we would be moving....I bide my time until we move...which may be another 1 1/2 years....due to personal reasons...anyway, I digress!!! I am not saying you couldn't find younger neighborhoods but if you have a choice..visit each area and then decide....best wishes!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area