Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,897 times

Advertisements

Hi our family is looking to relocate to a family friendly area in the low country of south Carolina. Some areas we have in mind are north myrtle beach, conway, summersville, and mount pleasant. As you can see were not really locked in to one area in particular. We are apprehensive due to the fact that we really want to make the right choice moving to a family friendly area with good schools. We have three young children 10, 8, and 2. We will also have to find jobs I am a truck driver with my CDL and my wife is a nurse LPN. Our family is very active with sports with football being our absolute favorite so a big football town would be wonderful. We are also huge beach lovers so being within close proximity to the beach would be important to us as well. We are looking to rent at first we are trying to stay under $1000 a month. Any information would be helpful thank you all! We look forward to coming to your beautiful state and making new friends....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
When we were thinking about moving, we also considered the same areas that you have on your list except Mount Pleasant. We spent a week visiting all the areas and exploring the neighborhoods, talking to people, etc. We absolutely loved Summerville but found it was too far from the beach...the better part of an hour with traffic. So, with a heavy heart, we crossed it off our list. Mount Pleasant may have the same travel time to the beach as well.

We liked Conway but, depending on where you live, the drive can be about 30 minutes to the beach so, again, we crossed it from our list.

North Myrtle was nice but we found that housing in our price range for what we wanted to be in short supply. Plus, it's a bit of a drive to the airport and activities that we like in Myrtle Beach...not bad but also more than a 10 minute drive.

We ended up in the Forestbrook section right outside the south end of Myrtle Beach and just love it...very convenient to everything...airport, mall, grocery stores, Market Common, and only about 10 minutes to the beach. Depending on exactly where you live in Forestbrook, kids can end up at Carolina Forest HS (pretty good FB program) or Socastee HS (enthusiastic but not real good FB program).

My recommendation is that you take a "vacation" to MB but don't stay at the beach and don't do vacation things. Come down and spend every day visiting the areas that you are interested in (Summerville is about 2 hours away) just like you are looking for a house, etc....because that's what you would be doing ultimately. Determine if the town is a place you'd like to live and look for the things that are important to you...proximity to the beach, affordability, school building condition...maybe even visit the school, where's the hospital for work, etc. Be sure and make a list of what you are looking for in your new town. It will be an exhausting trip, but it's the only way you can really determine where you want to live...considering that my or anyone else's suggestions are based on our personal preferences.

If you'd like the name of a great realtor in Summerville, PM me and I'll send you his name. He spent an entire day with us showing us around even though we told him up front that we hadn't decided where we wanted to live yet. I can also provide you with an agent in MB who sells and rents houses.

Good luck with your search. Find a job before you move...unemployment is 10% in the MB area although with your wife's skills, she shouldn't have as much trouble finding a job.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 AM

8 posts, read 25,601 times
We just moved to Carolina Forest last month from Ohio, and couldn't be happier. we also have 3 boys (13,11 and 8) and they LOVE their schools! Unfortunately, we missed baseball season by a few weeks, but are pumped to start football! From what I hear from the few familes we have met, they have an awesome youth football program and the middle school and high school are right up there with the good ones! Good luck in your search!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 AM

142 posts, read 363,238 times
CTYankee gave you some good advice, even though Mt Pleasant looks close to the beach, Isle of Palms, try getting a parking spot in the summer and the traffic is terrible, only 1 way in and out.

I know people who moved to Carolina Forest for the area, golf and beach, now they just like the area and golf, they don;t get to the beach during the summer due to the traffic and crowds.

Gary

Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM

312 posts, read 732,497 times
Well I always really try to help and give some realistic insight before someone moves here but since rjjns5 says life is great and a bowl of cherries here...I guess then that is they way it is.....best wishes to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area