Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Well this year the bike week started on may 11 and wasnt over until the 21 and that sounds like more than a week end to me. Right after that bunch cleared out the other bike week folks started coming in for their "bike week"which lasted through memorial day on the 29th... Almost the entire month of may (a great month for vacation before school lets out) was filled with the biker noise and dangerous drivers( biker accidents and deaths make it dangerous ) Like I said it seems longer and longer NOT just a long week end..get real
Well, we all must admit this is true. It started the 11th and went until the 29th of May.
I understand there were a lot less bikes this year and that most likely was due to the politics that started up early on.
I really didn't mind the quiet buzz thru the woods of the bikes at night. It was so soft in our area that it was like being hummed to sleep.
It didn't in anyway keep us from grocery shopping or going to the stores as I thought it would. I had been told to get out early and that there would be thousands to deal with. That didn't happen in the least.
There are a few spots I might avoid during bike week, but other then that it just wasn't so bad at all.
It certainly wasn't a weekend, but the month went fast and the area was just fine for vacationers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 AM

142 posts, read 363,238 times
Pawleys I gave up riding a number of years ago because so many people here do not know how to drive and I like living. I still keep my cycle endorsement on my license.

But who rides today, my sister is a Guidance Counselor in NC she has a bike, her husband works at UNC Chapel Hill in the construction dept., another friend Terrie and she is a Postmaster in NC, another friend from PA and her husband both ride, she is World-wide Telecommunications Director for Maersk and her husband is a stay at home dad and runs the horse farm, lets see then there's Bill who is a high school teacher and they all come here for bike week.

Gary

Old 07-11-2012, 09:38 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2beach View Post
Pawleys I gave up riding a number of years ago because so many people here do not know how to drive and I like living. I still keep my cycle endorsement on my license.

But who rides today, my sister is a Guidance Counselor in NC she has a bike, her husband works at UNC Chapel Hill in the construction dept., another friend Terrie and she is a Postmaster in NC, another friend from PA and her husband both ride, she is World-wide Telecommunications Director for Maersk and her husband is a stay at home dad and runs the horse farm, lets see then there's Bill who is a high school teacher and they all come here for bike week.

Gary
Be careful giving out such personal information on the internet. You can revise your post for a limited time; I suggest you do so!

With the cost of gas these days and the cost of cars many will make the switch to save a buck. Of course, they will still need to keep a car if they have a family but for commuting you can't beat the price!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Actually there is no home locations such as street addresses. No last names. The above is very general and hardly very personal.
I'm sure everyone is safe from harm.
Now that is if they drive safely on the roads during bike weeks.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2beach View Post

Gary
Yep, sounds like a real bunch of gangster types to me. Let us know when they're comin' to town so we can lock up all the wimmen & chillun...

Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 PM

142 posts, read 363,238 times
As Summer says, there is no threat to anyone with the info I stated, and none of these people hide the fact that they ride, everyone of them have ridden their bikes to work.

Gary

Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 PM

36 posts, read 111,179 times
Well Crestliner, I do live near SBB and this was my first close encounter with Bike Week. Let me tell you I found it to be very entertaining and for the most part the bikers to be polite and just normal people having a good time. I am not a biker myself but don't expect to impose my way of life on others. For years we camped and pulled a 30ft trailer. I can't tell you how many times we got glares and curses because we were a little bigger going down the road.

I just stayed away from the marsh walk that week but drove through MI a few times just to see what was happening. I happen to know several bikers and they are honest hard working people who happen to enjoy riding motorcycles. As for the accidents most of them are caused by drivers in automobiles who either don't watch out for bikers or have an attitude towards them. I think you would have a hard time with tourist season in general, all the traffic and all the people who don't know where they are going and turn too fast because they just figured it out and the long lines at the grocery store and so on. It sounds to me like you don't want anyone to "spoil" your personal way of life so I suggest you find a nice island to live on where you can be sure no one does.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:34 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
The conclusion for me is that if you want to enjoy a nice relaxing vacation around myrtle beach during the month of may its not going to happen (bike noise ) So if you wait till june the quiet vacation wont happen either because "schools out" and the entire place flooded with kids..guess that sucks for nice folks like me who can spend REAL money. .whatever....

Old 07-12-2012, 12:04 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
That was the same conclusion you reached BEFORE you made your initial post, completely discounting the feedback you requested. Keep in mind the folks on here are NOT the chamber of commerce. We don't care whether you come to MB or not. We were just trying to be helpful. Whatever...

Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 PM

35 posts, read 76,361 times
Well, my husband and I will finally be joining you all in September. We have been on this site for over a year now and we are renting for a year before we buy. I have a house rented in Little River the first six months and was very hesitant to rent in Murrell's Inlet area for the second half of the year as it would have corresponded with their Bike Week. I must say that after reading what has been posting in this thread regarding this event that my initial fears have been put to rest. Your candor is greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area