Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:30 PM

178 posts, read 329,379 times

Advertisements

Vote is supposed to take place on 10-23, though I'm not sure that it's an open meeting. I'm up in NY right now but will be back before then, and definitely attending if it's open to the public. I'm friends on Facebook with the Don't Box the Neck group, so I'm sure to find out soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM

On Don't Box the Neck's Facebook page today they wrote the following:

Write the County Council today and ask them to uphold the Planning Commission vote to reject the Sunbelt Big Box project. We're not out of the woods yet!

The way I understand it, the county council could still override what the planning commission has recommended. Please, write, call or email!!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,716,567 times
Thanks for the update. We're away for a couple weeks and the computer does not travel with me, but I'll try to get something off today....

Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,063 times
At the developer's request, the 1st reading by County Council has been delayed until tentatively mid-November. It had been scheduled for 10/9. Still a long way to go, but the delay is a good sign.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 PM

Yay!!!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 PM

Meeting scheduled for Nov. 13

Developer asks for extra month to refine plan to overhaul Pawleys Island shopping center - Top News - MyrtleBeachOnline.com

Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the link chilibeany. Just got back and am playing "catch up" so appreciate this info.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 PM

6 posts, read 11,809 times
I"m new to the area, I don't want to assume everything here works the same as it did where I am from. I also don't want to come across as one of those people that think everything is done better somewhere else. With that said, is there any way that parties interested in keeping the local feel/ local culture in harmony (ie. keep the original vibe of an area, when big money tries to change it) can approach the zoning commission, city planners, local government and have a nice "sit down" with them and explain what was so upsetting about this big box issue? (that should win a run-on sentence award!!) Is an after the fact conversation encouraged in SC? Would it be helpful? I"m just trying to figure out how interested third parties can make sure it doesn't happen again, or if it does it happens with true local support and transparency. Just my thoughts.

FromtheTundra

Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Great question for us "outsiders", FT. I wondered the same thing. We were just down this weekend and it seems that there is some of this going on...at least according to the "Waccammaw Times" article that I was reading.
PD, please correct me if I misunderstood that article.
There is a lot about the process that I don't understand, but between The Times and The Observer I hope to figure it out...I just need to put together a couple of uninterrupted days to do it!!
I think that the important point at the moment is that the developers are reassessing. If the community had a way of offering more palatable solutions it would be great, but I'm not sure that there is a vehicle for that other than, maybe, direct contact with their offices or letters to the local papers that propose options.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 AM

Hey everyone. I've been out of pocket on this for a while. Any new conversation/speculation/consternation about the project to be shared?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area