Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:13 AM

747 posts, read 1,681,539 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the information, however that is the guy we spoke to over the phone. I'm trusting my gut on this one and just not going to rent from that guy. I was hoping there might be someone else we could contact but I guess not. I'm glad you had a good experience with him, wish we would have had a good experience over the phone, if we would've have my husband and I probably would have rented an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 AM

214 posts, read 649,476 times
So the cliff notes on this are you will be moving to an area with a bad job market with no job. Your husband is only making $10hr currently and will be making an unknown amount of money after the move (possibly less). Yes, I can see why you are having trouble finding a luxury apartment to rent.

It may not be convienent to you but the apartment complex only cares about being guaranteed rent money every month. Assuming your husband stays at $10hr when you move, if you cannot find a job he would be bringing in what, $1600 a month? Roughly $1300 a month after taxes. Subtract $850 for rent and you have $450 a month to buy gas, pay bills and eat. If you encounter any problems at all like a car breaking down there is a good chance they will not get rent.

You may have money saved up or be super responsible, or have family that will bail you out etc. but the way I laid it out for you is the way any business is going to look at the proposition. In the job market here they are not just going to assume you are going to land a job as soon as you get here. Also you mentioned having 6 months left of college....they may also be assuming you will have student loan payments kicking in soon.

How is your credit?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
So the cliff notes on this are you will be moving to an area with a bad job market with no job. Your husband is only making $10hr currently and will be making an unknown amount of money after the move (possibly less). Yes, I can see why you are having trouble finding a luxury apartment to rent.

It may not be convienent to you but the apartment complex only cares about being guaranteed rent money every month. Assuming your husband stays at $10hr when you move, if you cannot find a job he would be bringing in what, $1600 a month? Roughly $1300 a month after taxes. Subtract $850 for rent and you have $450 a month to buy gas, pay bills and eat. If you encounter any problems at all like a car breaking down there is a good chance they will not get rent.

You may have money saved up or be super responsible, or have family that will bail you out etc. but the way I laid it out for you is the way any business is going to look at the proposition. In the job market here they are not just going to assume you are going to land a job as soon as you get here. Also you mentioned having 6 months left of college....they may also be assuming you will have student loan payments kicking in soon.

How is your credit?
Well yeah that ll is pretty well true, but we do it here just fine and we pay 750 for rent or with cable factored in 795. If they are so gosh darn worried about that all mighty dollar then they need to actually call the phone number of my landlord and see what kind of people we are and if we pay rent, after all they do ask for 24 months of rental history and phone numbers of landlords. Obviously if no one has trouble out of us up here no one will have it there either, but whatever. Nope don't have student loans so no loan payments, in fact no debt at all. Besides I take all my classes online and can easily handle any job and still keep up with classes like I do now. I imagine finding a job wont be hard at all after the move, to me it looks like they have plenty of min wage jobs down there, way more then we have here where we currently live. After I finish up college shouldn't be to hard to get a job in my profession, I'm sure receptionists and Secretarys are needed a lot down there given that it is much bigger then where I live now and I see those opening in our paper all the time. May even be able to get a that job before I finish college I have all my major classes out of the way. To me all the information really don't matter, that's not my problem or worry. My problem and biggest worry is finding some thing like what I live in now for a price point my husband and I both agree upon. Plus no one is going to make it so difficult that no one can do it. Renting down there just seems to be made overly difficult, maybe WV just makes it too easy I don't know but I may end up having to go with a private rental or call up someone who can possibly help me better. Maybe a long term rental agent can find me what i want in a decent price point. If not I may be forced to start looking for places in Flordia, i'm sure we will find a nice place down there and hopefully without all of the hassle. It's a pretty sad thing that you spend six months or so actively hunting a place to live every single day and are no closer to finding something decent and without hassle then when you first started. I'm just about ready to give up on these boards and go back to making phone calls and google searching, this isn't helping us much.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:47 PM

178 posts, read 329,262 times
You may be able to find what you're looking for, but you might have to consider moving a bit inland, like Conway. Have you considered that? What you want is a close to brand-new place, judging from the pics you posted. That may or may not happen at the beach, but you might find something in Conway. Have you been in contact with all the relatively newer apartment complexes in the beach area? What kind of prices are they quoting you. You will have to accept the fact that this is the beach, and for some things, you will pay a premium. There are many retirees moving here all the time, and younger couples like you who are looking for a new start. You say you're not concerned about finding a job, if I were in your shoes that would be my biggest concern, not whether my new apt has a fireplace and hot tub. Check out Craigslist, I know there are reputable people on there listing places for rent, probably not all in an apt community though. Figure out what you need to have and what would be nice, but not necessary.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:41 PM

214 posts, read 649,476 times
You need to consider the fact that you are moving to a more desirable area than WV. A more desirable area means that a landlord very well may have a large pool of potential tenants applications to pick and choose from. A less desirable area like WV they may just need to get someone, any one in the unit.

When you have a large pool of applicants to choose from an older person, who makes more money and has established credit will win every time.

You say " If they are so gosh darn worried about that all mighty dollar then they need to actually call the phone number of my landlord and see what kind of people we are and if we pay rent"
Well YES they are worried about the all mighty dollar. An apartment complex is a business not a charity. They are in the business of making money. Even if they call your landlord to verify that you pay on time every month it still does not change the fact that with the little money you make if ANY thing goes wrong they have a high change of not getting paid. If you fall and break an arm im assuming the Dr. will take priority over rent.

With that said have you offered to possibly pay a bigger deposit? or maybe pay several months rent up front?

In the house I am in now they did not want pets at all. The fact that I was willing to pay up front first, last, deposit and a pet deposit changed the landlords mind.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,650 times
Not sure when you are moving but the job market here now is awful - the season is over. And if there are jobs there are also hundreds applying for the one job. And if your husband is making decent money know I would want to find out if his pay rate would drop that much by moving.

Why not take a weekend and come search for apartments.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 AM

638 posts, read 992,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Thank you for the information, however that is the guy we spoke to over the phone. I'm trusting my gut on this one and just not going to rent from that guy. I was hoping there might be someone else we could contact but I guess not. I'm glad you had a good experience with him, wish we would have had a good experience over the phone, if we would've have my husband and I probably would have rented an apartment.
Really? Sorry to hear that. Maybe it was because we were there in person. However,if you wanted to rent there,I wouldn't let that stop you. It's not like he is your landlord....he's just the guy in the office doing his job.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,954 times
Never give up on your dream of moving! I too am from West Virginia and cant wait to get outta this hell hole. My dream place to live is in the Charleston sc area. We fell in love with that city our very first visit which was about 10 years or more ago. I too have been looking at apartments/condos/single family homes. Yes the rent down there is not what we pay here in WV, but thats to be expected. What we can rent here for $700-800 is probably not what we can get in the state of SC on the coast. I understand how you feel about where you live and your standard of living and you feel as if you dont want to "down grade". But think of it like this..... you are UPGRADING just by moving to the new and exciting city. Dont let cherry cabinets and granite counter tops keep you from your dreams. Maybe you could find something that you can live with as a temporary place? once your there im sure you will find exactly what your looking for. Realtors in that area maybe able to help more so than a google search. Have you tried that yet? For me, our move is not quite as easy as yours simply cuz I have a 14 year old and schools are very important to us. PLUS my hubby has to have a job secured BEFORE we can make this move. I was just like you in thinking that jobs were more plentiful down that way as opposed to West Virginia. However, in the past month he has put in at least 30 plus resumes and only had 2 call backs which went nowhere. Im not giving up hope tho. Its gonna take a little time to find what we need. I wish you all the luck in the world finding what your wanting. Like someone else posted, line up a few apartments for you to look at and then take the trip down for a weekend and see what you think. Phone interviews aren't always the best. Maybe it will be better if you talk to people in person. While your down there you can also look inland at a few things. Dont give up sweetie, you will find what your wanting. Wishing you all the luck in the world
P.S. do you mind saying what part of WV you are from?
Just wondering cuz im in wv also.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 AM

638 posts, read 992,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanda View Post
Never give up on your dream of moving! I too am from West Virginia and cant wait to get outta this hell hole. My dream place to live is in the Charleston sc area. We fell in love with that city our very first visit which was about 10 years or more ago. I too have been looking at apartments/condos/single family homes. Yes the rent down there is not what we pay here in WV, but thats to be expected. What we can rent here for $700-800 is probably not what we can get in the state of SC on the coast. I understand how you feel about where you live and your standard of living and you feel as if you dont want to "down grade". But think of it like this..... you are UPGRADING just by moving to the new and exciting city. Dont let cherry cabinets and granite counter tops keep you from your dreams. Maybe you could find something that you can live with as a temporary place? once your there im sure you will find exactly what your looking for. Realtors in that area maybe able to help more so than a google search. Have you tried that yet? For me, our move is not quite as easy as yours simply cuz I have a 14 year old and schools are very important to us. PLUS my hubby has to have a job secured BEFORE we can make this move. I was just like you in thinking that jobs were more plentiful down that way as opposed to West Virginia. However, in the past month he has put in at least 30 plus resumes and only had 2 call backs which went nowhere. Im not giving up hope tho. Its gonna take a little time to find what we need. I wish you all the luck in the world finding what your wanting. Like someone else posted, line up a few apartments for you to look at and then take the trip down for a weekend and see what you think. Phone interviews aren't always the best. Maybe it will be better if you talk to people in person. While your down there you can also look inland at a few things. Dont give up sweetie, you will find what your wanting. Wishing you all the luck in the world
P.S. do you mind saying what part of WV you are from?
Just wondering cuz im in wv also.
Very well said and very good advice!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:12 PM

I just wanted to say thank you for everyone who has replied the last couple of days. I'm sorry I have not been around, I've had classes and everything. Just a quick update, my husband and I have turned our attention to townhomes. We may rent or buy a townhome, I've found several I like on the scale of what we are looking for, even found brand new never before lived in townhomes. As far as buying goes it's turning out to be less money for a mortgage then it is to rent an apartment. I'm not sure how this is going to turn out, it may or may not work out, but we are giving it a try. Anyone know of any beautiful town homes for rent or sale? I've found several but it never hurts to have a ton of options. I'm not giving up, not sure I ever will, one way or another I WILL get what I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area