Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
Thank you....I did try to get someone to educate our HOA board and they just were not having it...my HOA is right and they do not listen to anyone.....I failed at this as well....believe me I tried and tried.... You know you can only educate those who want to be educated unforunately.......
Oh that is sad. Mail them the Hawaii studies even though HOA's will most likely not care in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 02:44 AM

96 posts, read 220,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Here is a little education, the findings of what happened in Hawaii when they made a study.Feral Cats Should Not Be Eradicated | Hawaii Reporter

Lots of reasons for leaving the cats there and let nature proceed as it was originally.
The quoted studie is a perfect example of how harmful non native invasive species are. Both the rabbits and cats that they talk about are non native invasive species and are harmful to the local ecosystem. The "study" also show how well a feral cat population can slaughter the the small mammal population of an area. It's the story of If you give a mouse a cookie but it all starts with introducing a non native invasive species to a non native ecosystem. It all started with non native rabbits being introduced. AGAIN there is nothing natural about introduction of non native species into an ecosystem it is not native too.

You will have a difficult time finding a pro TNR peer reviewable study that will point out all positive aspects of TNR because they do not exsist. Matter of fact I would say it will take some time doing a web search of the terms "feral cat, wild cat , non native invasive species to cherry pick an article of the pros and benifits of TNR. For every pro TNR study (my limited review of 14 of them found few to contain peer reviewable data ,but maybe I missed some) most settled on whats the "lesser of two evils" with little positve ecosysytems impact. I was able to find over one hundred studies pointing out the flaws and harm to local ecosystems by implementing TNR. Please feel free to pm for links.
For some of those looking to educate or be educated I suggest a wonderful day trip to Hobcaw Barony to learn more of the harmful impact that non native invasive species have on our local ecosystems.

I do have one question.... What part of natural and nature taking its course is neutering an animal? I would have the opinion that the most unnatural thing one could do to a mammal is neuter it.

Last edited by Seabass11; 03-02-2013 at 03:50 AM..

Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 AM

215 posts, read 545,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Here is a little education, the findings of what happened in Hawaii when they made a study.Feral Cats Should Not Be Eradicated | Hawaii Reporter

Lots of reasons for leaving the cats there and let nature proceed as it was originally.

Thank you, Summering for finding that article. What an eye opener! I hope everyone will take time to read it.

Another thing, something I've observed, living in both the country and city - the biggest threat to birds I've seen are the Grackles and Starlings that are all over this area and many, many places across our country. They rob nests, chase away all variety of birds and create mayhem everywhere they congregate.

That is a menace, to the bird population, we should be working to erradicate.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcamp View Post
Thank you, Summering for finding that article. What an eye opener! I hope everyone will take time to read it.

Another thing, something I've observed, living in both the country and city - the biggest threat to birds I've seen are the Grackles and Starlings that are all over this area and many, many places across our country. They rob nests, chase away all variety of birds and create mayhem everywhere they congregate.

Thank you I think it was well written and also it stated near the end that any bird that can't survive hiding away from cats would have been gone long, long, ago. They are all still here and we enjoy them also.

Anyone who speaks against saving the feral cats needs to spend some time by them, with them, and watching them. Just like the home cats they each are special in their own way. Who would figure that my favorite feral would turn out to be a scrawny, black, cat. There were far more prettier in the bunch.
However, "buddy" made me laugh. He'd rub along side my little poodle and try to be friends with him.
He'd come and share a bowl of milk with my poodle. Eventually, he charmed us and snuck into the house.
( the first time he ran out fast) Buddy could eventually be picked up and he purred with happiness.

Sure we fix them, of course...because we know there is enough out there. We agree that there need not be additional to worry about. It is the type of animal that needs this service. Because most ferals live a rough life, in the wild and weather, and on their own.

They are just our regular house cat that has been given a rough road to follow. My sympathy goes to each and every one, with hope that some good will come their way.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcamp View Post
...Another thing, something I've observed, living in both the country and city - the biggest threat to birds I've seen are the Grackles and Starlings that are all over this area and many, many places across our country. They rob nests, chase away all variety of birds and create mayhem everywhere they congregate.

OK, I've avoided the whole feral cat discussion, partly because there's no good answer, but mostly because I'm married and too well familiar with the "pretty little furry things" side to this discussion. It's a good example of why males and females should not debate issues that match facts against feelings.

Regardless, the comment above regarding birds just freaks me out. To even suggest that it is the role of humans on this earth to "eradicate" one species which happens not to be pretty, just because that species happens to feed on another species that happens to be "pretty" is just scary. Almost all of God's creatures fall somewhere on the food chain, with the combined role of being both hunter and hunted. That don't mean they're bad, it just means they're hungry. If we ever take the position that a species should be eliminated because it's non-pretty and treats other species badly, that will go a long way toward reducing the world's population of humans.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 03-02-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 AM

I feel just how you feel Pawleysdude. I don't choose the cats over the birds or the birds over the cats. Both have a place on the earth.
My statement about "Buddy" not being pretty was only to mean that it surprised me that we all grew to love him the most. He turned out to be the best feral cat I ever dealt with. He didn't have to be pretty. I saved all cats of all colors and types. I probably thought to mention him as it is well known that most black fur animals seem to be the last taken at shelters etc. I was told this by some shelter people. If he went to a shelter he might never have gotten a home. Sweet guy that he was.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,007 times
Outdoors with Frischkorn: Feral cats a top prey for coyotes

Great article on what happens to all those TNR cats.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:52 PM

I couldn't bring that up, but it seems its about the feral cats being prey for the coyotes.

All people can do is try. Try to take care of the other members of our earth. It is known they don't have a long life. But TNR is a blessing. Trying to help solve the over population of them. Those little guys are precious.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,342 times
Some interesting arguments to consider:

* "Non-native, invasive species"? Not really. While Felis silvestris catus may well be non-native in South Carolina, the genus Felis is certainly not. And while it has been eradicated by we non-native and invasive species H. sapiens in its natural environment, F. silvestris catus probably has more claim to nativity here than do we hominids.

* But feral cats kill songbirds... yes, they do. But not nearly as many as do rats and snakes do when the latter eat bird eggs. And, interestingly, feral cats kill rats and snakes too. Without the natural population of genus Felis (which our feral cats have replaced) - the population of rats and snakes will explode and thereby totally decimate the population of seabirds as well as songbirds.

* But feral cats carry disease... yes, they do. But not nearly as much as do rats and any number of indigenous species such as racoons. Feral cat colonies feed on those rats and displace both racoons and opossum populations.

The least valid argument though remains that feral cats are a non-native invasive because we people are the most environmentally destructive of all invasive species anywhere in the world and particularly here in Myrtle Beach. The feral population of F. silvestrus catus (wild/stray cats) at least mitigates many of the negative impacts we humans create in native species displacement. Once we all leave, then, and only then, should we worry about non-native and invasive felines. They'll quickly be replaced by the native Felidae once we get out of their home. Until then, we might as well share with the other imported tourists...

TNR is a much better population control option than extermination no matter which sort of logic one wants to use. At least until we remove the primary predator (us) from Horry County and let it go to its natural eco-system.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM

96 posts, read 220,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTMBSC View Post
Some interesting arguments to consider:

* "Non-native, invasive species"? Not really. While Felis silvestris catus may well be non-native in South Carolina, the genus Felis is certainly not. And while it has been eradicated by we non-native and invasive species H. sapiens in its natural environment, F. silvestris catus probably has more claim to nativity here than do we hominids.

* But feral cats kill songbirds... yes, they do. But not nearly as many as do rats and snakes do when the latter eat bird eggs. And, interestingly, feral cats kill rats and snakes too. Without the natural population of genus Felis (which our feral cats have replaced) - the population of rats and snakes will explode and thereby totally decimate the population of seabirds as well as songbirds.

* But feral cats carry disease... yes, they do. But not nearly as much as do rats and any number of indigenous species such as racoons. Feral cat colonies feed on those rats and displace both racoons and opossum populations.

The least valid argument though remains that feral cats are a non-native invasive because we people are the most environmentally destructive of all invasive species anywhere in the world and particularly here in Myrtle Beach. The feral population of F. silvestrus catus (wild/stray cats) at least mitigates many of the negative impacts we humans create in native species displacement. Once we all leave, then, and only then, should we worry about non-native and invasive felines. They'll quickly be replaced by the native Felidae once we get out of their home. Until then, we might as well share with the other imported tourists...

TNR is a much better population control option than extermination no matter which sort of logic one wants to use. At least until we remove the primary predator (us) from Horry County and let it go to its natural eco-system.
Ok I am still laughing and thanks for the chuckle. Really it did make my day and to think all those biologist and wildlife managers could learn so much from your point of view. an to think I thought this thread died. Just a question ,should people use the above logic with the feral hog infestation on North Island. Should they just let all the native sea turtle nest be destroyed by an invasive species? Are cats different than feral hogs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area