Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support the Constitutional Carry Act of 2013
I think this is a good law and should be passed. 3 23.08%
I think it should be passed but should be amended with exceptions - minors, felons, etc. 3 23.08%
I think the current concealed carry laws are adequate and this act should not be passed. 4 30.77%
I think this is a bad law, and SC's gun control laws should be further restricted. 2 15.38%
I think this is a bad law because it does not go far enough. Everyone should be required to carry a gun (The OK Corral amendment) 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,923,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Hey CW. When I read the actual proposed legislation, I don't see anything that prohibits, say, a 14-yr old from packing a sidearm to school for "personal protection." Is the school grounds thing covered in separate legislation elsewhere?
Hey there PD ... what you read is an amendment to our existing 1976 Code of Law. Only certain sections of the 1976 Law is being amended.

Many parts of the 1976 Law will not be touched. For example there will be no changes in Section 16-23-30.

SECTION 16-23-30. Sale or delivery of handgun to and possession by certain persons unlawful; stolen handguns.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to knowingly sell, offer to sell, deliver, lease, rent, barter, exchange, or transport for sale into this State any handgun to:

(1) a person who has been convicted of a crime of violence in any court of the United States, the several states, commonwealths, territories, possessions, or the District of Columbia or who is a fugitive from justice or a habitual drunkard or a drug addict or who has been adjudicated mentally incompetent;

(2) a person who is a member of a subversive organization;

(3) a person under the age of eighteen, but this shall not apply to the issue of handguns to members of the Armed Forces of the United States, active or reserve, National Guard, State Militia, or R. O. T. C., when on duty or training or the temporary loan of handguns for instructions under the immediate supervision of a parent or adult instructor; or

And it goes on ... you can read the 1976 Code of Law and see the areas they are amending.

South Carolina Legislature

No, I certainly don't want to see weapons in the hands of a 14 year old or any kid it is against the law and will remain against the law. I certainly don't want to see guns, knives, swords, crossbows, BB guns, pellet guns or shanks in our schools.

My heart hurts for parents today that have school age children and for the children that have witnessed violence in their schools.

This Constitutional Carry Act of 2013 is only an amendment and it may not pass anyway. PD ... after all this is South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 PM

96 posts, read 219,612 times
If it passes without a change to the minors at least now the 16 year olds high school drop outs will be better able to arm them selfs . Also I do believe that nothing teaches the young ones about the constitution like loaded fire arms around the house.

I do think the current 50 bucks for the CCP and 8 hour class is a large burden to ask of a person carrying a loaded firearm in public. So less has to be better. At the very least if this passes the nice women that got ask to leave my class because she did not know how to load and unload her weapon will now be able to carry her loaded firearm to the supermarket.

From what I read of the bill it appeared to be more one lining out of stuff from the 1976 law. Wonder where was all the outrage was for the last 30 years ? Any body have the status on allowing CCP holders carry in establishments that serve alcohol?

Last edited by Seabass11; 03-20-2013 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,923,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
I know I am new here, but don't law abiding citizen already have that right? I don't think having to get a permit to do so, or being required to be educated on how to do so safely, is all that much to ask. I am sure there are some law abiding citizen who aren't necessarily the brightest bulbs in the box that are already walking around with guns, and frankly that doesn't bring me all that much comfort.

I often hear people talk on this subject as if it is the people against the government. If anyone out there is worried that our government is being run by self serving individuals that don't have our best interest at heart, let me suggest that ship has sailed already and we all might have some bigger fishies to fry than not having to ask for permission to carry a gun. Let's face it, if there is some sort of revolution people aren't going to "not" defend themselves because the don't have a permit.
ROFL ... I am sure we have plenty of law abiding citizens that are dumb as dirt. But you have to remember you now reside and happen to be a full fledged citizen of the Great State of South Carolina. You chose us and I sincerely hope you found a warm welcome. Let me know if you didn't and I will come down there and shoot their car tires out.

I am not looking for a revolution, lord a'mercy I hope not. Nor am I against the government ... I count on my SS check each and every month and thus far it arrives like clockwork.

I just don't have a problem with the Constitutional Carry Act of 2013.

This from our local paper today, thought you might enjoy it ... one of those dim light bulbs.

Published: March 20, 2013
By Staff Reports

A Fort Mill man accidentally shot himself in the buttocks at the Steak 'n Shake restaurant in Rock Hill.

Around 8 a.m. Tuesday, the 29-year-old man was getting his jacket when he accidentally discharged his 9 mm semi-automatic handgun. The round struck him in his backside then went through the seat and struck the floor, according to a Rock Hill police report.

The man said he would pay for the damages.

EMS treated the man on the scene.

Police seized the handgun and placed it into evidence.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:10 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,883,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
... You chose us and I sincerely hope you found a warm welcome. Let me know if you didn't and I will come down there and shoot their car tires out.
LOL You are sweet to offer CarolinaWoman, but it is all good ... Southern hospitality is in full force here and a warm welcome was given by all.

And, thanks for the story! I needed a good chuckle this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area