Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 01:45 AM

741 posts, read 1,751,723 times

Advertisements

I have an option between Dallas, TX or Myrtle Beach, SC as part of my current job.

Assuming that income/salary and career growth opportunities are same,

In regards to the following parameters in that order

a. Warmer tolerable weather year round
b. Cost of living/cost of home or rentals
c. Affordable quality education for kids through public schools
d. Tolerable traffic during peak hours/availability of public transportation
e. Scenic beauty/easy access to recreation
f. Peaceful / reasonably less crime rate

Please advice which is a better option

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 11:57 AM

34 posts, read 109,941 times
I think that all depends on whether you're a city mouse or a country mouse. Dallas should offer more opportunities (career and otherwise) and more high brow culture. Probably at a greater expense, but maybe worth it to you depending on your priorities. Myrtle Beach has reasonably good weather, reasonably affordable cost of living, tourist season-driven traffic patterns, and of course, the beach as its main recreational draw. There's a fair amount of crime and a fair amount of poverty, but your exposure to it is dependent on where you go and how insulated your neighborhood is from the rougher parts of town. It's a nice mid-sized town, but not near any metropolitan areas that would offer the better aspects of city life.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:33 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,859 times
We almost moved to Dallas about 20 years ago so I'm sure things have changed somewhat. But based on my observations while there and experience in MB:

a. both will give you warm weather but MB is more temperate than Dallas. We were there in Sept and it was still over 100 degrees.
b. probably comparable housing prices but you should check trulia to compare. Rent, I don't know but I would think rent would be higher in a large city.
c. I would think that suburban schools in Dallas would be better but there are web sites through which you can check standardized scores, etc.
d. I thought dallas traffic was pretty bad. MB traffic is minimal for 9 months of the year and if you know the back roads, you can avoid summer traffic for the most part. Public transportation...I would imagine Dallas has a pretty good bus system and definitely has a huge airport. MB has a minimal bus system and you have to fly from MB to a bigger city to connect to go any long distances.
e. MB hands down. Dallas is flat prairie land...not much around. MB has the ocean/beaches and SC has some beautiful parks within an easy drive.
f. Depends on where you live. There are places you can live in/around MB where you can leave your doors unlocked and no one would bother you. There are other places where it's not safe to walk around after dark. I'm sure the same could be said about Dallas.

I agree with citynelg, it all depends on what your lifestyle is like...if you like to party and go to museums, concerts, etc, Dallas is the place. If you like mid-size town living with easy access to the beach, MB is a good choice.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:49 PM

166 posts, read 190,195 times
I'd take MB over Dallas.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 PM

741 posts, read 1,751,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citynelg View Post
. There's a fair amount of crime and a fair amount of poverty, but your exposure to it is dependent on where you go and how insulated your neighborhood is from the rougher parts of town. It's a nice mid-sized town, but not near any metropolitan areas that would offer the better aspects of city life.
Could you please advice the neighborhoods in Myrtle Beach area (Conway - Myrtle Beach) that are peaceful and has less crime rate

Thanks!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:28 PM

253 posts, read 470,410 times
spalam01...I moved to Texas from SC in 1990....spent every summer at Myrtle Beach until my move. I live about 90 miles south of Dallas and have been there many times. I am a bit prejudiced, but I have to tell you, the beach is so much better. Even if you do like the "high" lifestyle (concerts, museums, etc.), there are many downsides to Texas, and Dallas in particular. Dallas is huge; the traffic is worse than MB Hwy 17 at its busiest time; crime and drugs are a major issue; on and on.

I will retire to the beach soon and the main reason is to get out of Texas. Oh, and what Texas calls "trees" are nothing more than bushes (unless you are in East Texas or further south towards Austin). Just my two cents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area