Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,663 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone can help me out this. I'm an underground utilities foreman/operator in northern Virginia and will be moving to the myrtle beach area soon. Currently searching for employment in the same/similar field around the area and would like to find out what the current competitive pay scale is like in the myrtle beach area. I have 10 years of experience in the heavy construction field and am currently in the $30 per hour pay range up in northern Va. If anyone can give me some info on this topic it would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 06:23 AM

312 posts, read 732,694 times
Well I am anxious to see responses here and believe me I do NOT want to discourage you....but please look into securing employment BEFORE moving......and you will not make anywhere close to what you make now....maybe just maybe $10.00 - $11.00 an hour.......again please call around to some companies and check on their websites to see if anyone is hiring.....Best of luck to you......I think Sumter has a large underground utility company......maybe you can check there....closer toward Columbia, which is a city, you may find a better chance with better wages.................let us know what you find.........

Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
I'm not in the industry so I can't give you any solid info...only what I see doing a little internet research. I went here: https://jobs.scworks.org/jobbanks/jo...el_match=L&VR=

...and found a couple of jobs posted by MB companies doing work outside the state at around $20/hour. I also found this: https://jobs.scworks.org/vosnet/jobb...FxiWH2KGYrn0ul

...which is a posting for jobs with a MB company but it does not show the salary. Probably the best paying employers needing your skills are the State, Santee Cooper and other utility companies.

Best of luck. I agree with loveagrey1, don't move until you have a job lined up.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 PM

13 posts, read 26,724 times
VA operator,

Having been in the civil construction business for 7 years until last year, I will say that your pay here will all depend on exactly what type of utility work you specialize in and to be honest how capable you are. The money here is with private companies and not the utility companies. If you are skilled in gravity sewer and storm drainage and you can demonstrate this I think you will be surprised at how much you could earn here. Our specialty was gravity sewer and larger diameter storm drainage piping but the company did it all. Groundwater is the problem here so if you do decide to move keep that in mind.

If you want to email or PM me I'll be glad to help you in any way I can.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,663 times
Thanks to all for the reply's. I totally agree with having a job lined up first before the move and really appreciate the in site. I've been doing some looking online and it seems to be decient work in the charleston area. I don't mind traveling for work but would prefer home base to be local. Although I specialize in underground conduit, duct banks, and fiber I do have knowledge of other utility installation. Thanks again and hope to get some more reply's.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
Thanks, loris19, for providing more accurate information regarding better paying employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area