Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 10:18 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!!!

We are still in our search mode. Cut it down to three possible areas-Surfside Beach, Loris, and over the border into NC.

I know enough about Surfside because that's where we vacationed for 13 years. Camping to be exact. Now we are thinking the Loris area. What can you tell me about it. We've found some homes there that meet what we've been thinking about in terms of what we want. No HOA's!! We are still at least 3 years out before we move-or we may end up buying something after our home equity is paid for so we can still claim for taxes-both homes we have here in upstate NY are paid for-so we'd pay it off right before we'd move in full time after their sales.

We have been through there but never really been to do much in that area. So I don't know much about it. What can you tell me? I've read through the Loris listing. I plan on applying for a school bus dispatcher job-or I may have my 19-A certification/SBDI before I come down so I can also be a trainer. Hubby was a concrete dispatcher for 21 years. I've been watching the Horry County Schools website for job postings. But realistically, it will be 3 years since our youngest has to finish high school here.

So fire away!!! We'll come down in the next year to do intense poking around to see what areas we are going to target and finalize where we want. I'll tell you we didn't do the tourist stuff as campers since it's more like having our house with us so we did as the locals do on a daily basis-just we did it on the beach.

So fire away! I know I've been here before with great people answering my questions. And FYI-my family moved north for jobs in the 50's from NC/VA. My parents are now gone and I want to be closer to family as there is no one here now for me. I spent my summers in NC/VA as a kid.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 AM

13 posts, read 26,697 times
I've lived in Loris/NMB my entire life and I think Loris offers a great place to live near the beach without the constant traffic and tourist season issues. The area I live in has no HOA but we have no problems with the neighbors. The community sort of regulates itself. You will have people probably respond on here saying how bad the crime is in Loris but I disagree. Its no worse than any other place near the Grand Strand and we feel very safe in our area. The thing about Loris is it's still a small town so there's not a lot to do here but it's only 20 min to NMB so if you want to get to the beach it's not a big deal. There are a lot of homes available in our area right now and some of them are priced very well. Good luck with your search and decision. It's a great area to live in my opinion.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:17 AM

245 posts, read 318,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Hello everyone!!!

We are still in our search mode. Cut it down to three possible areas-Surfside Beach, Loris, and over the border into NC.

I know enough about Surfside because that's where we vacationed for 13 years. Camping to be exact. Now we are thinking the Loris area. What can you tell me about it. We've found some homes there that meet what we've been thinking about in terms of what we want. No HOA's!! We are still at least 3 years out before we move-or we may end up buying something after our home equity is paid for so we can still claim for taxes-both homes we have here in upstate NY are paid for-so we'd pay it off right before we'd move in full time after their sales.

We have been through there but never really been to do much in that area. So I don't know much about it. What can you tell me? I've read through the Loris listing. I plan on applying for a school bus dispatcher job-or I may have my 19-A certification/SBDI before I come down so I can also be a trainer. Hubby was a concrete dispatcher for 21 years. I've been watching the Horry County Schools website for job postings. But realistically, it will be 3 years since our youngest has to finish high school here.

So fire away!!! We'll come down in the next year to do intense poking around to see what areas we are going to target and finalize where we want. I'll tell you we didn't do the tourist stuff as campers since it's more like having our house with us so we did as the locals do on a daily basis-just we did it on the beach.

So fire away! I know I've been here before with great people answering my questions. And FYI-my family moved north for jobs in the 50's from NC/VA. My parents are now gone and I want to be closer to family as there is no one here now for me. I spent my summers in NC/VA as a kid.

Thanks!!!
I don't know much about Loris but you could check out Florence SC as well. It is only one hour from the beach with low cost of living especially housing and it has a lot of retail/retaurants with decent size mall for city of its size. there are no HOA's in Florence that I know except maybe the Country Club of SC neighborhoods. Florence has a lot of nice fitness clubs including a upscale one associated with the hospital if you like to excise and work out. The west Florence area especially is a nice area and south Florence is ok too.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 PM

62 posts, read 116,863 times
I don't live in Loris, but I did work in Loris for a while and the drug dealing/usage there is terrible. I know a Loris police officer and this officer told me a move can't come soon enough. Sorry, but where I worked we would watch daily all the drug dealing. It is well known and nothing is allowed to be done in that town to stop it. Longs between Loris and Little River offers a lot of good options for neighborhoods, you may want to look there.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 AM

Yeah, I've heard that Loris had issues with drugs in the area. That's why I figured I'd see more what the locals have to say about it. I've had enough of the drug issues. Since 9/11 when all the citidiots came north, the drugs here are out of control. Heroin is the drug of choice at our local high school because the losers that moved here have made it cheap. Too many teens in the last 2 years have died because of it. While I know it's everywhere these days-I want to move to a place that it's not as in your face.

I've been looking now into Longs and Little River. Found a house I really like in Little River on the Intercoastal-but dang we can't move for 3 more years.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM

245 posts, read 318,971 times
Did you look at Southport / Oak Island in NC? about 40 minutes south of Wilmington, 40 minutes north of Mrytle Beach.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:34 PM

No, we hadn't yet headed up that way to look over things. I've heard good things from family that have homes there on the coast for years. Might be worth a look see. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area