Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times

Advertisements

Our son and his fiancee' are getting married at Huntington Beach State Park on a Wednesday in early September at around 6 pm. Everyone who is involved with the wedding is staying in the same resort where our condo is, which is around N. Ocean Blvd. and 77th Ave. in MB, so maybe a half hour drive from the wedding venue. At this point, mainly because they want to keep things simple, nothing has been planned for after the wedding on Wed. night, but we need to do something other than just go back to our rooms at the resort.

Can anyone suggest something special but not over the top to do after the wedding? I'm thinking that between the actual wedding ceremony and the pictures, it will be over by 7:30 or 8 pm, and that might be a little late for a full blown, fancy restaurant dinner, especially for the grandparents, who are in their late 70s to early 80s and will probably not be up for a very late evening.

Can anyone suggest anything that would be special and memorable that we could do in the late evening? Maybe a very nice restaurant that has a fantastic dessert bar, or maybe you could suggest a baker who could make a fantastic cake and we could have it back at one of the meeting rooms at our resort? Or if there is a great restaurant somewhere near HBSP, then maybe we could have a full dinner, but it needs to be really nice.

It just doesn't seem right to go back to our rooms and order pizza or something, lol. The happy couple wants it simple, but that's just way toooo simple and casual!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,716,816 times
Perhaps you could work out something with Brookgreen Gardens; they do have a restaurant and it would be close by and convenient. Since the couple wants to keep it simple...maybe a tapas menu ?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:29 AM

I didn't realize that Brookgreen Gardens had a restaurant, but that sounds like a terrific idea. Thanks!

We talked about it last night, and another idea we came up with is to see if we can get a private room at the Sea Captain's House for a late dinner.

Thanks again, I will definitely check into the Brookgreen Gardens idea. It is so beautiful there!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,671,392 times
Brookgreen Gardens is lovely, but they aren't usually open at night or in the evenings. They do have some evening hours, but mostly during their "Cool Summer Evenings" programs.

Brookgreen Gardens | Myrtle Beach Attractions

If you google best/great cakes in Myrtle Beach, you will find a lot of wonderful bakeries who make fantastic cakes and might find the perfect cake for the wedding. Some places will do custom cakes, etc.

You didn't mention the size of the wedding party and number of guests, which would have an impact on places that could accommodate your group.....

If you are considering having a dinner, etc. back at your resort, you might want to google and then call some of the local catering companies, who could serve the food and a cake and have everything waiting for you when you arrive back at the resort after the wedding. Since you mentioned having elderly guests, that might be the best way to go. Most people don't want a day/evening at the beach and then a meal, followed by a long drive home. People get sleepy after an emotional ceremony such as a wedding and then eating, drinking, etc. driving home.....

Possibly your resort has options for all of what you are looking for.

Best wishes for a perfect wedding!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:58 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,671,392 times
Oh, and this place makes some fabulous cakes:

Croissants Bakery & Bistro - Myrtle Beach, SC Restaurant

Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 AM

Thanks for all of the good advice, Vrexy! You're right, I did forget to mention the size of the wedding party but there will only be about fifteen of us so most restaurants could hopefully accommodate us.

I am at work right now, but I am going to check with the resort when I get home to see about catering options there and I am definitely going to check out that bakery link.

Thanks again!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,361 times
I got married at Myrtle Beach State Park 3 years ago and we did the Trash The Dress photos at Huntington beach State Park the very next day. I can give you a lot of information. If you want a great cake for after the wedding, we got ours at Croissants Bistro and Bakery. It was the best cake ever, my parents still comment on it three years later. They told me if I ever want to remake the cake for a anniversary to send them some. Everyone loved it and it was a decent price for a pretty good size cake. We had a two tier wedding cake we ate at the park. It fed us all we had a small wedding (just 7 of us) and continued to feed all of us for over a week. We paid $150 for it, which I didn't think was that bad. Our wedding lasted much longer then we thought we had ours at 6PM as well. The traffic was a nightmare (ours was in July) so by the time we got back to the hotel it was really late about 10-11 at night, and by that time everyone was done for. There is bookgreen gardens around HBSP as well, I haven't been personally but it looks super nice. If you need any other info, feel free to message me and I'll try to help you the best I can.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:04 AM

66 posts, read 184,114 times
We got married on the beach in April 2009. We had the best "Beach Wedding Cake" from Croissants Bakery & Bistro - Myrtle Beach, SC Restaurant . And had a dinner at the Dead Dog Saloon http://www.deaddogsaloon.com/in Murrells Inlet .

Old 08-10-2013, 11:44 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Photo Gallery

The Litchfield Inn is nearby Huntington State Park. It looks like it would make for a nice evening there.
Just another idea for you.
Looks like everyone agrees on the "best" cake. Sounds wonderful...

Old 08-11-2013, 05:57 AM

Thank you all for the great ideas, I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area