Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 PM

4,287 posts, read 7,985,024 times

Advertisements

Two Hollywood Actors Get Stopped, But Not For An Autograph. - CNN iReport

What do y'all think of this? Is racism prevalent in your community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 PM

747 posts, read 1,674,443 times
Well that didn't happen in MB...however I've only been here 30 days and haven't noticed any. Granted everyone seems to be snotty about the whole north / south thing. However if you mean the black and whites....haven't noticed anything yet, however i'm white. Seems to be a good mix of people living around this area from the blacks and whites to people from overseas.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:40 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,240,460 times
I have spent many years vacationing in MB and never once saw any signs of any racism.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:09 AM

62 posts, read 168,613 times
Sad to say, but I still hear racist comments from time to time. They are all uttered by people who are at least 60+ years old. Thank goodness for that 'cause I'm hoping they will take their racist attitudes to the grave with them. I've even seen a veiled racist statement on the Myrtle Beach forum......

The north/south comments are what get to me. Regional pride is to be respected but Geeeesh.....we are all the same people so let's not put each other down just because we grew up somewhere else. I've often said that South Carolina is the New Hampshire of the south, snort! When asked where I'm from I simply say "I'm from the north, North Myrtle Beach"......

Old 10-01-2013, 06:30 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,733,821 times
There is racism everywhere but anywhere with less diversity, not so great education system, lower income etc...you will probably hear more of it.

Let's just say, I have heard things I havent heard since the 60's when I was a child. Like junepharm6 said, it's been mostly the 60+ age crowd more so than younger people. Just my experience, don't jump down my throat please!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,240,460 times
Funny this is mentioned because in Florida where I am located I hear the younger kids constantly making reference to whites as honkies, crackers etc. Just as racist as using those other words.

I never hear anyone older making those comments as mentioned. Most older people I know and am around never show any signs of any racist comments or dislikes at all.

I have to change my post now that I thought it through. Was in MB on vacation during an early Atlantic Biker week ( Forgot it was happening that week ) and was called every name in the book so there was a point of racism now that it dawned on me.

Most MB natives who survived all those early biker weeks should know it is probably the most racist point of time in MB and then it changes to the second biker week and things calm down.

The first biker week looks a like a tornado came through town with the trash and nastiness, and then you dont see that the second bike week. ( Been in MB during that time as well )

So yes, the racism I only have witnessed was during the Atlantic Biker Week. Never in my life have I witness such nasty and vulgar people acting like uncivilized nuts. And the town is afraid to put an end to their destruction of the town like they do.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 10,485 times
Hi all I am thinking about moving to South Carolina and will be looking for a foreclosure type home that will fit my budget. Any suggestions on who to go to or stay away from? Will be moving in about 2 yrs .I cannot rent as I have pets so am looking to purchase something reasonable and small, thanks for any input.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:11 AM

344 posts, read 722,956 times
No more racist than Maryland or Pennsylvania, where I lived prior to South Carolina.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:04 PM

312 posts, read 729,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
There is racism everywhere but anywhere with less diversity, not so great education system, lower income etc...you will probably hear more of it.

Let's just say, I have heard things I havent heard since the 60's when I was a child. Like junepharm6 said, it's been mostly the 60+ age crowd more so than younger people. Just my experience, don't jump down my throat please!

As always, well said....wish there was a clapping icon!!!

Old 10-04-2013, 12:15 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,084,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Two Hollywood Actors Get Stopped, But Not For An Autograph. - CNN iReport

What do y'all think of this? Is racism prevalent in your community?

What's your point? Trying to stir the pot on a board other than yours?

Stay on the Texas boards, son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area