Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:56 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,513 times

Advertisements

We're looking to come down to the area in the spring for vacation and checking out future retirement communities. Like to stay on the ocean and looking for suggestions on where to stay. We'll be hitting up the beach and touring around the local areas as well. Also, suggestions on things to do or see and any 55+ communities you'd recomend.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:03 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,859 times
I can't really provide a recommendation for a place to stay since we don't use the hotels in the area. I would suggest looking at the reviews for different hotels and pick one based on that. If you want the quiet area of MB, I'd suggest staying in North Myrtle Beach or in Surfside/Garden City. If you want to be near the action and close to entertainment, etc., the select a hotel in MB proper.

What to see? It depends on your tastes. There are a variety of sites that list all the things to do in MB and there's something to do for almost every preference.

Re 55+ communities, there are only a few that market themselves as 55+ (Seasons at Prince Creek and Lakeside Landing), but many communities are populated by primarily 55+ homeowners. Real estate agents aren't, by law, allowed to tell you the demographics of a community but you can figure it out for yourself by just being observant (swing sets, toys in the yard, etc). As far as recommendations on communities, you'll need to determine what part of MB you'd like to live and your price range in order for me to make specific recommendations.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,513 times
Thanks for your reply. We're not tied to Myrtyle Beach proper for a hotel as we intend to have a car and visit the general area to see what it's like. We've never been, so we have no idea where is a good place to stay. We'd like a quieter area to stay and to be right on the beach. We're probably going to be visiting in May sometime.
As far as retirement comunities go, we're starting to visit some to get an idea where we might end up. We're 5 years away unless my company has some early retirement oportunites which is very possible within a year and a half. We'd prefer 55+ to have like minded neighbors and would go as high as 400k or so for the right place. Del Web gets mentioned a lot so we may check them out. Lot's to learn and experience before we make the big move.
Ps. Our temps are headed to below zero for the next 4 or 5 days.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
The following are my favorite hotels. I was in the business for a long time so I have stayed at these hotels or was in and out of them a lot.

Marina Inn
Kingston Plantation
Caravelle
Ocean Creek
Sea Watch
Beach Cove
Marriott Grand Dunes

If money wasn't an object, I would definitely buy a house on Pawleys Island. On the island not the mainland.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:06 PM

253 posts, read 470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
If money wasn't an object, I would definitely buy a house on Pawleys Island. On the island not the mainland.
Me, too, blueherons

I keep buying these Texas lottery tickets but alas, no money crosses my palms!

My "first week" at the beach in high school was at Pawleys - oh, the memories!

Old 01-01-2014, 01:57 PM

78 posts, read 136,316 times
I like the Carribean and Dunes Village. And second Herons Sea Watch recommendation.

Carribean has a great location and easy access in and out of the hotel.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:51 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Don't let a Myrtle Beach address scare you away, because not all of MB is party central. Anything along Ocean Blvd. roughly north of 48th Ave. is located in a semi-residential area called "The Golden Mile" and it is very safe and peaceful. Someone mentioned Dunes Village, which is in that area and is very nice. The only thing I would caution you about with that property is that it has an extensive indoor water park and attracts a lot of families with young kids, although May shouldn't be too bad, since most kids will still be in school.

I would also recommend the Island Vista, which is where we stayed a couple of years ago. It is upscale, safe, and right on a nice section of beach within The Golden Mile. It is still conveniently located, it just isn't in the thick of the party end of MB. I think you would be very happy with it.

The Island Vista Oceanfront Resort - Myrtle Beach Luxury Resort | Hotel in Myrtle Beach, SC

Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Don't let a Myrtle Beach address scare you away, because not all of MB is party central. Anything along Ocean Blvd. roughly north of 48th Ave. is located in a semi-residential area called "The Golden Mile" and it is very safe and peaceful. , SC
What is the Golden Mile? I grew up in that neighborhood and NEVER heard that term. Also, your perimeters are incorrect, that area starts at 30th Avenue North and goes north east of Kings Highway.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:50 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
I had never heard that term either, but a quick google search turned up plenty of results, so apparently it is a well known term in MB.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I had never heard that term either, but a quick google search turned up plenty of results, so apparently it is a well known term in MB.
From what I can tell, it is the oceanfront area from the Caravelle north. Beautiful area but I think it is more of a real estate term. Learn something new every day however I don't think anyone is going to drop it into conversation about where they live. That would sound a little douchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area