Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 01:55 PM

55 posts, read 136,571 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am baffled. I would love to visit South Myrtle Beach to visit that fun looking beach side, Family Kingdom amusement park and stay at one of the fabulous beach front hotels. The only problem is...where is and how far away is your major airport? Do you all even have a major airport? I have been going nuts trying to figure this out. Please help! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 02:32 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
MYR is a major (international) airport right in the heart of Myrtle Beach and the Grand Strand. Easy to get to. Very convenient. However not all carriers land there. Some people opt for the Charleston airport, but that is a good two hour drive.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McaVacationDivas View Post
Hi,
I am baffled. I would love to visit South Myrtle Beach to visit that fun looking beach side, Family Kingdom amusement park and stay at one of the fabulous beach front hotels. The only problem is...where is and how far away is your major airport? Do you all even have a major airport? I have been going nuts trying to figure this out. Please help! Thanks in advance!
"I have been going nuts trying to figure this out." Huh?

Go to MapQuest.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Wouldn't it be closer and easier to fly to Wilmington? I also want to visit and have found the flights to MB are very hard to come by, unless I want to leave phoenix at 1:30 am and stop x 2 and also pay close to $500 for a flght. Airlines have drastically changed their policies and flights and they only want to make money and keep all the flights filled. I would like to come look for a house but will have to put out a bunch of $$ just to go look. Have spent hours trying to find a cheaper way to get there (including Grayhound Bus). Was advised to forget that idea !

Old 04-16-2014, 06:53 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Wouldn't it be closer and easier to fly to Wilmington? I also want to visit and have found the flights to MB are very hard to come by, unless I want to leave phoenix at 1:30 am and stop x 2 and also pay close to $500 for a flght. Airlines have drastically changed their policies and flights and they only want to make money and keep all the flights filled. I would like to come look for a house but will have to put out a bunch of $$ just to go look. Have spent hours trying to find a cheaper way to get there (including Grayhound Bus). Was advised to forget that idea !
MB is a lot closer then Wilmington.

With both MB and Wilm you have to fly to one of the "hubs" then transfer.

The MB direct flights, usually through Spirit, go to cities that MB want to attract to bring people down for vacations and golf. if you ae fortunate enough to be able to avail yourself of Spirit, you can fly very cheap.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:47 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Wilmington is a fraction of the size of Myrtle Beach and any flight on there will on a prop jet.

I would suggest you take a look at US Airways or Delta. I've flown MYB to PHX on multiple occasions and never had a problem.

It also depends on what time of year you are trying to fly in and out of Myrtle Beach.

You do realize how far Arizona is from Myrtle Beach is right? $500 isn't that expensive for a flight that far.

www.ITASoftware.com

Old 04-17-2014, 11:01 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Wilmington is a fraction of the size of Myrtle Beach and any flight on there will on a prop jet.

I would suggest you take a look at US Airways or Delta. I've flown MYB to PHX on multiple occasions and never had a problem.

It also depends on what time of year you are trying to fly in and out of Myrtle Beach.

You do realize how far Arizona is from Myrtle Beach is right? $500 isn't that expensive for a flight that far.

www.ITASoftware.com
Yes, I know its far. But I flew to Charlotte last Oct for $233. And MB isn't that much farther. I do think its this time of year when everyone wants a summer vaca and on the beach too. I just wanted to look at houses and see the area as a place to live. So on my retiree's income, it is not cheap. And leaving at that ungodly time of night, changing planes at 5 am and then trying to salvage the first day I am there without being exhausted, is a problem. The only flights I found leave here at midnight, or 1 :30 am or 5:45 am. Nothing at all very convenient.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:27 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Yes, I know its far. But I flew to Charlotte last Oct for $233. And MB isn't that much farther. I do think its this time of year when everyone wants a summer vaca and on the beach too. I just wanted to look at houses and see the area as a place to live. So on my retiree's income, it is not cheap. And leaving at that ungodly time of night, changing planes at 5 am and then trying to salvage the first day I am there without being exhausted, is a problem. The only flights I found leave here at midnight, or 1 :30 am or 5:45 am. Nothing at all very convenient.
Charlotte is a hub which is why it is so inexpensive.

Fly into Charlotte and rent a car. Charlotte is three hours from Myrtle Beach.

Summer vacation is the least of reasons people fly in and out of Myrtle Beach. Don't assume flights are only expensive Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 PM

161 posts, read 237,682 times
I drove to MB recently while my wife was in Florida with her mother and was to join me in MB. Flights from Fort Myers to MB verse Fort Myers to Charleston was nearly $250 less. While Charleston was about 1 1/2 hrs each way it was still worth it to drive round trip to Charleston and enjoy the ride with the wife and still cheaper. Additional plus, go there within 30 minutes of arrival and got free parking...easy in, easy out.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Not cheap, but fun is to take the train. Florence has an Amtrak station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area