Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 02:53 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,716,567 times

Advertisements

We are just mopping up after the mess of our project which started in 2012, and I would not wish the headaches we've had on anyone. I have just been assured by the investigative arm of the Licensing Bureau that I did everything right, and we still got skewered by a guy who everyone loved when we started. So here is what we've learned, and some things you should know before you start:

Do Your research-

First and foremost, be absolutely certain that the person(s) you consider are licensed by the state of SC to do the work you will be asking of them. Where to find the info? Go to the SC Licensing Bureau website, locate the category of license, type in the name of the person or business.
---Interesting note here: a RESIDENTIAL builder is licensed differently than a commercial builder. Be sure that you are looking at the proper licensing bureau to get the right info.
Then call the bureau and ask if there have been any complaints or filings against the builder or his business. Do NOT skip this step. A person's license may be listed as active but pending issues may not be posted and resolved issues may not be listed either.

Next, look everywhere you can think of to find reviews/ assessments of this person's work. Here are a few places to start- the Better Business Bureau; Angie's List ( the cost of membership is worth getting access to the reviews, trust me); local builders' association ( usually the county you're in will have its own, but there may be one that is under the Grand Strand umbrella as well); buildzoom.com; similar websites that offer builder referrals exist, I just happen to be able to remember buildzoom.

Next, ask candidates for a list of their preferred sub-contractors and vendors, and then ask these people about this builder- does he pay on time and in full?, does he purchase high grade materials? Do they feel well supervised by this candidate?

Talk to the banks. If you are considering financing options, banks in this area actually have lists of preferred builders. If you say you are considering someone not on their list they are limited in what they can tell you about WHY that person is not on their list, but they can make some general statements that may help you understand the reason(s).

If you have a problem, don't be embarrassed or feel sheepish. Get help from your local building authority- its your money and your home at stake! The building authorities are here to help and they will help you as best they can. There are limits to what they can do, but our experience has been very positive with them.

Last, and not least, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! If you have a bad experience, file a complaint with the State Licensing Bureau so that the creep who has taken advantage of you can be investigated. One person's voice may seem small, but when someone has taken on predatory practices and the group of victims comes together to make complaints, then you get a squeaky wheel situation going and eventually the creep will get their due. You have to get the ball rolling, but if you can show that you have been treated badly action will be taken.

Civil actions are another category entirely. The Licensing Bureau only has jurisdiction over the license, so they can't get your money back or put the guy in jail, or anything like that.

I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of building a home in this area. Please don't be discouraged by our experience; our first builder was not a good guy, but our replacement was a different story altogether and we are now happily settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 09:30 PM

285 posts, read 639,085 times
Would you mind sending me a PM revealing the name of the good replacement builder and the troubled first builder? I'll be building in the next year so that info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area